Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Yamaha R1 + baffle plate - oil catch can?
woodsy144

posted on 17/10/22 at 05:32 AM Reply With Quote
Yamaha R1 + baffle plate - oil catch can?

Hello All,

Got a '08 Yamaha r1 in the back of a middy with a baffle plate.
I have been trying to find information about oil catch cans, as the baffle plate instructions stated the need for it.

1. Is it necessary?
2. Plumbing? how to plumb it up?
3. Location specific? ie does it have to be above engine?
4. size??
5. examples?

Any help would be great

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 17/10/22 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
1. Driving on the road, going shopping, down the pub., etc., No, it isn't necessary, you won't need it, but it's a good idea. Take the car on a track and yes, it's an absolute necessity. At the high rpm range (these engines are still have the best noise in my opinion, more so the 20V 5VY), the oil will blow out the breather at a rate that has to be seen to be believed. Mains and rod bearings will fail very quickly.

2. Breather from engine top (if you're really going for it, otherwise these can be blocked off) and crankcase to header tank. Outlet from top of tank area to a catch tank (track requirement). Return from bottom of tank to sump.

3. Gravity is required for the sump return, mount the tank high. I guess you could use a pump if not (I have no experience of that suggestion).

4. See the picture, this is a Jedi R1 factory install (my ex-Jedi).

5. Picture again.

I do have a complete Jedi factory installation sitting in a box. I'm keeping it for that next project that I'll probably abandon again.... so if you're looking a solution... you never know.

Description
Description

woodsy144

posted on 17/10/22 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
1. Driving on the road, going shopping, down the pub., etc., No, it isn't necessary, you won't need it, but it's a good idea. Take the car on a track and yes, it's an absolute necessity. At the high rpm range (these engines are still have the best noise in my opinion, more so the 20V 5VY), the oil will blow out the breather at a rate that has to be seen to be believed. Mains and rod bearings will fail very quickly.

2. Breather from engine top (if you're really going for it, otherwise these can be blocked off) and crankcase to header tank. Outlet from top of tank area to a catch tank (track requirement). Return from bottom of tank to sump.

3. Gravity is required for the sump return, mount the tank high. I guess you could use a pump if not (I have no experience of that suggestion).

4. See the picture, this is a Jedi R1 factory install (my ex-Jedi).

5. Picture again.

I do have a complete Jedi factory installation sitting in a box. I'm keeping it for that next project that I'll probably abandon again.... so if you're looking a solution... you never know.

Description
Description

Thanks for the info.
So to confirm, you dont have any lines going back into the air box.
You have two feeds into the catch can, one from top of bottom end, and the second one from the top of the head.
Then the feed is gravity feed back to sump?

My initial thinking was to connect these two lines to a generic 500ml catch can, and then vent back into airbox as per original condition. Making sure I have sight glass on can to check volume.

woodsy144

posted on 18/10/22 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
@motorcycle_mayhem - how did you manage the feed into the sump? it appears you are using braided lines with speed flow (or similar) fittings?
My initial thinking would be that this isn't required due to low pressure and in your application more about heat, is that correct?

Happy to be educated as this is my first rodeo.

adithorp

posted on 18/10/22 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
I think it's more of an issue with an inline install than transverse one but here's an old thread...

https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=113841&page=1

A search for "R1 breather" and my user name brought it up along with a load more. My bottle does breath back to the airbox but I've seen others that vent to atmos'

[Edited on 18/10/22 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.