Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Goodwood Festival of Speed - Camping
perksy

posted on 19/10/22 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
Goodwood Festival of Speed - Camping

Planning on going to Goodwood next year for the festival of speed (First timers)

There's 3 of us going in a VW camper van

Can anyone recommend the best places to try and camp in the camper (Nearby sites etc)

I know it gets really busy there, but you can't beat a bit of local knowledge or info from folks who've done similar & been and done it...

Thanks in advance

ttalps2000

posted on 19/10/22 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
interested too! Did look at how much to stay on-site, could buy a camper for the same amount!!
nick205

posted on 20/10/22 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Been to FoS a couple of times, but on a day ticket, not camping. I went the 2nd year it was on and again 3-4 years ago. The roads around the area get very busy (as you'd expect) with people coming and going. So I'd imagine you want to camp close and plan/know your routes in/out and what gates/car parks you can use etc.

The first time I went it was big and busy. When I went again more recently it was much, much bigger and much, much busier. The more recent visit they had tractors and trailers circling the parking fields taking people to/from their vehicles (save them walking too far).

When you get into the event there's a rally stage at the top of the hill climb. You could wait (40 minutes) for a tractor trailer ride up there, but we just walked up through the trees.

It was a very hot sunny day so drink plenty of water and take some sun cream and a hat.

Take whatever food in with you you can. As with any event the food in there is pricey and yes there's variety, but it's mass produced food from vans.

[Edited on 20/10/22 by nick205]

HowardB

posted on 20/10/22 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
I have been on a number of occasions, the only time I camped was south of Chichester and was a not ideal as even an early start lead us into the traffic jam. There were some cars that had been in the carpark overnight - clearly some of them had been slept in!

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

nick205

posted on 21/10/22 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
I have been on a number of occasions, the only time I camped was south of Chichester and was a not ideal as even an early start lead us into the traffic jam. There were some cars that had been in the carpark overnight - clearly some of them had been slept in!

Noticed the overnight cars in the car parks too. If you've got an estate car you're set for sleeping space. Not sure how the organisers take to people staying overnight like that though - no idea if they have any car park patrols at the end of each day or not.

James

posted on 25/10/22 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
I absolutely love FoS. I have been many times some paid for, many on freebies as I had a close friend at Mclaren.

First time I didn't know what to expect at all (especially how big it was!) and rolled up at lunchtime!

The best ones are when I've got there really early like 7am, had breakfast in the car park and so had zero queueing.

Also, if you want to do any of the experiences, they fill up really early so get in early and get your names down on the lists to avoid disappointment.

Car park M seems like the easiest one to me and bring you in near the top.

Don't forget your comfy shoes- there is *a lot* of walking involved! Also lots of water. Food and drink is expensive- I always take sarnies with me!

I have never got round it all in 1 day so plan well what you want to see. Crossing over the track is a pain and can involve a lot of waiting or even more walking to get to a bridge so avoid crossing more than you need to.
I've never yet made it to the Rally stage either! lol

Have a great time, I've had some great experiences there! I do find when I'm simultaneously watching fighter jets fly past at the same time as F1 cars that I might get a little dust in the eye at some of my life/career choices!

James

[Edited on 25/10/22 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

jps

posted on 29/10/22 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Camped once, I think it was down at West Wittering. Since then have always gone down for the Friday and aimed to arrive first thing (7am ish). Definitely good to get in before the crowds, the down side is that you’ll see far fewer famous drivers and potentially less cars going at it for a time on the hill. Upside is less things have been crashed than later on in the weekend!
perksy

posted on 7/11/22 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice

It'll be the first time for the 3 of us at this event

Tickets and camper van booked

Not cheap, but it was on the list of things to be done and its always looked good on the TV

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.