Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine/autobox box conversions
Simon

posted on 28/12/22 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Engine/autobox box conversions

OK, bit abstract but I'm on the lookout for a v8 p6 rover and have a 3.9 inj engine sitting in my garage.

This would obviously find its way into the car.

Now, the 2wd rover v8 auto options were the BW35/65's both now antiquated.

A modern 2l diesel puts out similar torque to the 3.9 v8 and swapping would be a case of redrilling the Rover flexplate to accept new box's torque converter, the rover starter could remain and an adaptor for engine/box fabricated.

Looking on fleabay plenty of cheap 6/8 speed auto boxes from 1/3 series bmw's. Are these integral with engine software or do you think they could be used as a standalone

Or am I missing something more fundamental...?

It's possible I may end up with a manual, but that's another question for another day!

cliftyhanger

posted on 28/12/22 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
I would expect all modern stuff to be integrated into the car to the extent they would be difficult to run as a stand alone. Saying that, it is possible there are magic boxes available to enable such gearboxes to be used.

As a curveball, there is a Jag ZF 4 speed auto box that is used for Stags and I think other classics that may be suitable. Still a few issues to vercome (no speedo drive, althogh a conversion company does supply/fit modified boxes which have a new case incorporating a speedo drive.
A friend has owned 2 stags with such boxes, the first came to him with a home-brew conversion. He replaced that car with a rather better one, but had teh std BW65. He got it converted and that setup is excellent.
I have a feeling that the ZF box was used in something with an RV8, might be worth a look.

obfripper

posted on 28/12/22 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
The newer bmw boxes are a mixed bunch, the smaller engines get a 6 speed gm box that is not as reliable as the earlier boxes, the 6speed zf also had some problems(more in landrover than bmw though), the 8 speed zf seems to be pretty reliable.
They are all electronic and need ecu control, which don't seem to be supported by any of the cheaper controllers i know of, there is one by htg tuning but it's 1200 euros and that's likely to be plus duty and vat.

If you took a 4hp24 from a 4.6 p38 range rover, you could rebuild using the tailcase/shaft from an xj6/xjs/bmw 750/850 4hp24 box, which would bolt to the v8 and have a output flange instead of a transfer box.
I'm not 100% sure if just swapping the bellhousing onto a bmw/jag sourced box is enough, it may be a possibility if the input shafts are the same.

Even something this old is electronically controlled, some people have managed to make it work with microsquirt and megashift, but those changes required have not made it to the supported list, so you would need to speak with someone that has dealt with this to go down this route.

There is a 4hp22 that is mechanically controlled from a late range rover classic, i think it is possible to build a 4hp24 with the mechanical 4hp22 valve block etc to avoid going down the electronic control route, but those boxes are not very common anymore.
I think there was a v8 ldv/sherpa van (ambulance?) that also had the mechanical 4hp22 and a 2wd output, these are likely to be hens teeth now though.

The 4hp22 is a fair bit weaker, so 4hp24 internals are a common upgrade for range rover classic/p38 boxes.

Have a look here, there's a fair chunk of info at the bottom of the screen regarding different versions, i don't think they sell the combo you require, but they do nearly all the parts needed. They also sell a controller for the electronic version, it is (~£800) pricey compared with megasquirt but would work out the box.

https://ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/product/zf4hp22eh/

Also have a look here, they are apparently also quite helpful for building hybrid zf gearboxes.

https://www.jpat.co.uk/

Dave

Simon

posted on 28/12/22 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, I was wondering if it might have been one of questions that, after posting, you think hmmm, might be a bit daft. No so, apparently

Cheers chaps, I'll dig a bit deeper

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.