Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ideas for a sub £12k car for summer euro road trip, sale on return
computid

posted on 24/5/23 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Ideas for a sub £12k car for summer euro road trip, sale on return

Hi all,

My current contract finishes mid-august, and my girlfriend and I are planning a 3-4 week road trip around Europe, likely down to southern Italy, and maybe across to Greece, so we're looking at 4 - 7k miles.

I'm dailying a 195k Mazda 6 2.2L Estate at the moment which, aside from having broken AC, would be fine for the journey, but I feel it's a little boring. I've started looking at more fun options that I could buy a few weeks before the trip, make sure it's sorted, and then use for the time we're away and sell for very near what I paid for it on return.

My requirements are:

- Reasonably comfortable
- Reasonably powerful & comfortable at high motorway speeds
- Some luggage space
- Windscreen, side windows, functioning doors etc.

My nice to have is a convertible roof, but it's not a requirement.

I'm not super interested in common sports cars like Z3's/MX5's etc. I mean they're great but not really my cup of tea.

Currently I'm looking at:

- The very bottom end of the DB7 market
- Jaguar XK's
- Bottom end of the 911 996 market

Ideally I'd like to get into something that I don't have to spend a fortune on to get it ready for the trip, and isn't likely to explode during my 2 months of ownership leaving me with a dead weight. Open to any thoughts you may have!

Thanks in advance!

loggyboy

posted on 24/5/23 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
E46 M3 Vert?
Might need a little more on 12k if you didnt want a bland one (black, silver, grey interior, 120k+)
Would be an investment really as they arent silly to maintain but bought mine back in 2018 for 9.5k, sold it 4 years later the same but with No Mot, no front bumper and in need of a full service.

Slimy38

posted on 24/5/23 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Along the same lines as loggyboys recommendation, my mum's boyfriend drives an E class convertible that I reckon would be lovely on a long drive. While it will cost you more to start with you're almost guaranteed to get the exact same amount back again. It's a big car despite being a soft top, 2 litre petrol but comfortable and easy to drive. You could move into AMG territory if you want REALLY fun, but that's with a hefty price increase.

(Edit) just a quick check on Auto Trader I can see 40 soft tops just under 12K. OK, they're all around 7 years old, all diesels, and there's no hint of colour on any of them (Black, white or somewhere in between!), but they would be a very comfortable place to spend a few weeks.

[Edited on 24-5-23 by Slimy38]

JoelP

posted on 24/5/23 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
If it was me, I'd go in a bit cheaper with a bmw 650 convertible. Nice cars and fast, without the premium of the m6.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

adam1985

posted on 24/5/23 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
987 boxster s could be brought for that price, late 05 onwards 3.2 should be reliable and nice flat 6 sound. Also 2 boots for you luggage.

ReMan

posted on 24/5/23 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Choose very carefuklly and could just get yourself in a 996 that will get you there and back, and get your money back , but you really need the full 12k and some luck, but definitely the car to choose ;-)

IMO you won't get an honest Aston for 12k and they are falling in price slowly, where good 996 are holding
Neither cheap to run. Aston service costs are mahoosive, perhaps less delicate, but v thirsty.
996 not too bad for fuel and some reasonable independent that keep servicing in reach, but as said finding one thats not got issues will be key

I researched both of these and Maserati before I bought my 996 and still gold I did, as much as I'd like an Aston the old one are starting to look dated

Good luck

bi22le

posted on 24/5/23 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I would go for a 2 seater AMG Merc, I have always wanted one. Ticks all of your boxes and taking a look on auto trader there are a few good examples for under £12k.

There are also TVRs if you want something different.

Enjoy the trip, it sounds amazing.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

roadrunner

posted on 25/5/23 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364254605196?hash=item54cf442f8c:g:apkAAOSwcZRkYo-Q&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwCh1Uqu4%2F5EQyxwYQbCyjhFRpywbwiweNRP60gQeLAKt

[Edited on 1 by roadrunner]

coyoteboy

posted on 25/5/23 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le

There are also TVRs if you want something different.

Enjoy the trip, it sounds amazing.

They want to complete the trip though, right?

Mr Whippy

posted on 25/5/23 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
For a trip like this really the most important thing is it not breaking down and ruining your whole holiday. Along with being safe with the crazy drivers abroad, good visibility for overtaking with your wheel on the wrong side and easy spares availability should something break. Most sports cars are just impractical toys and not meant for any real meaningful trips especially if you need to depend on them not to let you down.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
roadrunner

posted on 25/5/23 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
For a trip like this really the most important thing is it not breaking down and ruining your whole holiday. Along with being safe with the crazy drivers abroad, good visibility for overtaking with your wheel on the wrong side and easy spares availability should something break. Most sports cars are just impractical toys and not meant for any real meaningful trips especially if you need to depend on them not to let you down.

But isn't that part of the fun.

nick205

posted on 25/5/23 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
If you'll be driving on the other side for most (if not all) of the trip have you considered buying a left hand drive car over there?

Take a few days when you arrive and look at some (can probably even look online beforehand).

No idea about insuring it back to a UK address and breakdown cover etc., but I do know driving a right hand drive car on the other side of the road gets tiresome fairly quickly. You need to have an "ON IT/ALERT" passenger with you to be checking for overtaking!

HowardB

posted on 25/5/23 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I am sure that pistonheads has a LHD section -
Mr Whippy

posted on 25/5/23 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
quote:

no.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
McLannahan

posted on 26/5/23 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
quote:

no.

I'd echo this - on my own perhaps, it'd all add to the adventure. But with company/family in tow.... Not enjoyable at all. Our family car broke down on our last family holiday to France and it was a bit of a nightmare. My French is quite good - but technical car terms in French....Er not so! Was really frightening for the family sadly. They never forgave the car and it was sold!

cliftyhanger

posted on 26/5/23 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
If you'll be driving on the other side for most (if not all) of the trip have you considered buying a left hand drive car over there?

Take a few days when you arrive and look at some (can probably even look online beforehand).

No idea about insuring it back to a UK address and breakdown cover etc., but I do know driving a right hand drive car on the other side of the road gets tiresome fairly quickly. You need to have an "ON IT/ALERT" passenger with you to be checking for overtaking!

We take our spitfire into europe, often driving to teh Alps/Dolomites etc (Off to Slovenia at the end of June) and quickly get used to being on teh wrong side of the road.

I would agree an "aware" passenget can help with overtakes, especially with a low sports car.

I would also echo the primary consideration is getting something reliable. Nothing good about breaking down. (Spitfire has not disgraced itself abroad. However did have a prop UJ fail in Scotland, that was a 600 mile recovery home)

adithorp

posted on 26/5/23 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
What sort of trip do you intend it to be? Cruising down motorway to visit nice places or driving great roads and visiting nice places?

The great roads tend to be narrow and twisty and don't suit a lot of mainstream motors that have all got a bit wide (especially if you're sat on the wrong side)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.