Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Trains...
Mr Whippy

posted on 10/7/23 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Trains...

Hi,

Just thought I'd mention this as it might be interest to others. I've been looking for a hands on hobby where I could enjoy working on machines while not just being me alone in the garage or in the project room. About 18 miles from me is the Deeside Railway, a small private section of track with a station and a number of engines, wagons & carriages. As usual all run by volunteers. I was at a car show in the field next to it and the train was running, so I took the dog and had a ride in the carriage, I spoke to the station guard about volunteering and was told to simply go onto their website and send then an email. A couple of weeks later I got an request to come along on a Wednesday to help out after work. So that's how it started.

I must point out that yesterday was just my second time attending, however in that shift, I helped load fuel onto the tank engine (think Thomas the tank engine except green), crawled all over it oiling everywhere, helped shunt the wagons about, filled it with water, I actually drove the engine and got lots of training on how it works and what everything does. Have to say it was damn good fun.

I've applied to be trained as a fire man (manages the fire and the handling of the boiler) and a driver as they are always short of both of those. Below I've listed my good and bad points of the fireman/driver role, obviously there are dozens of different roles available that literally anyone could do.

Positive points -

1) Get to do stuff you'd never think you'd be allowed to.
2) Really was a lot of fun.
3) Everyone is very friendly.
4) They have a proper training program with knowledgeable people.
5) I was actually quite pleased that I'd done a good job cleaning down the engine, used lots of Flash! and rags, did you know Flash! was good for cleaning steam trains?!
6) Brilliant way to spend a Sunday (also doing the evenings on Wednesday).
7) Certainly don't need that gym membership...

Not as positive points -

1) Kinda hard work (the engine goes through a lot of coal and wood so someone has to move it about, about 13 x 25kg bags of coal a day)
2) Long day (9 hours, from helping fire up the engine to putting it back into the shed), I was really tired when I got home & thirsty.
3) Gets very hot in that cab (I did get free ice-creams and endless coffee)
4) Very cramped under (inside) the engine to oil it, not too messy but do need to be a bit flexible to reach. You also need to climb up all over the engine, so if you don't like heights. Although I love this, they are very accommodating and accept that not everyone wants or is able to do every aspect of the role.

So there you go, maybe this might give you ideas to try something new, certainly very early days for me but it looks like this is going to be very enjoyable.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 10/7/23 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry has to be said. Build a train for £250 👍👍😀

I am glad you have found something you like to do but don’t forget the old car
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rod Ends

posted on 10/7/23 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Surprised they need drivers, I assumed everyone wants to drive the trains.
Rod Ends

posted on 10/7/23 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Sorry has to be said. Build a train for £250 👍👍😀

I am glad you have found something you like to do but don’t forget the old car
Graham

You'll need the Haynes book

nick205

posted on 10/7/23 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Mr W

Top stuff

Where I grew up there's the Watercress Line. It's a volunteer run steam railway that runs from Alton to Alresford (Hampshire) and back with several stations along the way. Right where I grew up is the main yard in Ropley. Here they restore and maintain steam engines, carriages etc.

Recently took my local Scout Troop there for an evening. A volunteer showed us round the entire place and explained the history of the line. "Watercress Line" as it was built to transport watercress (grown in the area) more quickly and economically to customers (make more money).

Truly a fascinating place and I'd imagine some of the work must be really interesting (hard graft though).

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/7/23 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rod Ends
Surprised they need drivers, I assumed everyone wants to drive the trains.

That's just what I thought tbh, I expected there to be a waiting list. It's definitely hard work but a lot of fun. Apparently it's a shortage across all volunteer railways.

No danger of me ignoring the old car, as that's how I get there! It fits in perfectly at the station and the tourists seem to think its a station exhibit I was told there were crowds around it yesterday taking pictures.

jacko, no need to spend even £250 to have a train to play with, just got to turn up

[Edited on 10/7/23 by Mr Whippy]

jacko

posted on 10/7/23 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds great fun ,I wish we had some thing along the lines like that to go to when I free time
Graham

JoelP

posted on 11/7/23 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
That's a crazy good experience. Last time I looked into driving a stream train, it was about a grand.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.