Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I need a bent one
David Jenkins

posted on 4/2/05 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
I need a bent one

Fuel pipe, that is...

Does anyone know where I can get standard flexible fuel pipe with a severe 90-degree bend in it?
My carb came off a different car and at the moment the fuel inplet pipe is pointing back towards the rocker cover. It would be really convenient if I could approach from a different direction.
A picture might help...

I want to go from the carb to the left of the picture, instead of right and along the rocker cover. As I said in a different thread, I almost have to remove the carb to take the rocker cover off!
Alternatively, does anyone know how to open up the outlet on the left of the carb filter and block the existing right-hand one?

Otherwise, a source of new tubing, or the name of a car that has a well-bent tube, would be very useful. Anything!

cheers,

David

P.S. Ignore the air filter - I now have a better one!

[Edited on 4/2/05 by David Jenkins]

locoboy

posted on 4/2/05 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Dave,

if you had a bit of rubber tube then a 90 deg bend in a bit of microbore then another bit of rubber - its a few joints but may make life easier if you cant find exactly what your after.

ATB
Locoboy

David Jenkins

posted on 4/2/05 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
I forgot to mention that I have been faffing around with bits of microbore - by the time I've got a bit of pipe long enough to clamp onto properly, plus the bend, the whole thing is rattling against the rocker cover.

David

locoboy

posted on 4/2/05 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Rattling...............did you say rattling................................................................i have never heard a rattling on any 7 they are always too loud!

Potential chaffing maybe (not good on a fuel line though

ATB
Locoboy

David Jenkins

posted on 4/2/05 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote

I can never hear anything apart from the wind roar while wearing my helmet... oh, maybe the exhaust roar... oh, and the screams from the passenger...

David

locoboy

posted on 4/2/05 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
oh, and the screams from the passenger...

David

I can even hear them i just feel the grip on my leg getting tighter!

Oh yeah back to topic for now please!

[Edited on 4/2/05 by colmaccoll]

ATB
Locoboy

jimmyjonga

posted on 4/2/05 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
cant you get a 90 degree plastic bend? you can get them in different sizes and are suitable for fuel...

i got some from premier wiring ( i think it was them) for a similar problem

james

Hornet

posted on 4/2/05 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Dave, I have carried out similar mods as you require.
The chamber has a fine gauze filter inside which can be fitted elsewhere if you wanted. I removed the original inlet pipe and bored and tapped the inlet 6mm. I then plugged it with a cap screw.
I bored out the other side and fitted the pipe. There was plenty of material to work with. hope this helps.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 4/2/05 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Try Highbury Hoses, they make stuff up to order in a similar style to Samco hoses, but at about half the price. Several friends have used them for various hoses and recommend their service.

cheers

Chris

barraw

posted on 4/2/05 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
I've bought a load of fuel line off ebay, including copper Ford OEM and braided flexible PTFE pipe. I bought loads more than I need, so let me know if you want a photo of either - cheers,
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
David Jenkins

posted on 4/2/05 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hornet
I bored out the other side and fitted the pipe. There was plenty of material to work with. hope this helps.

That's good info - thanks.
One question - how did you get the pipe connector out of the side that you eventually blocked, and how did you fit it in the other newly-bored side?

David

Hornet

posted on 5/2/05 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi m8
I removed the pipe for the return fuel line it is just a very tight fit... no thread. I placed a drill inside to prevent it from crushing as its made from brass i think?and removed the pipe with a pair of mole grips. Once removed I bored, tapped and plugged the hole.
I bored the other side the same dia as the original and forced the pipe in with a hard piece of wood.

David Jenkins

posted on 5/2/05 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks...

David

rusty nuts

posted on 5/2/05 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
David , do you need to remove present fuel inlet? may be worth plugging either by soldering or maybe tapping thread into pipe and inserting tapered plug, then drill and tap hole for new inlet.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.