Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Radiator orientation
Slimy38

posted on 10/10/23 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Radiator orientation

I have a Polo radiator where both pipe connections and the thermostat are all on the same side. I'm finding it surprisingly hard to put the radiator in place without having to put a tight 90 degrees on one or both pipes. I can move it sideways slightly to get it to work, but not having the radiator central would make me twitch every time I looked at it (The Healey bodywork means the radiator is a lot more visible than an average seven).

It all works perfectly fine if I put it vertically with all the connections at the top. It physically fits, I can mount it central and it doesn't foul any other components. Is there any cooling issue with using a radiator vertically?

nick205

posted on 11/10/23 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Can't help with radiator (coolant in/out) orientation affecting it's performance - no experience of fitting one in that way.

I used a Polo radiator on the Pinto engined MK Indy I built. On the lower pipe I had to have a 90° bend right out of the radiator. Worked fine. The nose of the MK wouldn't have allowed fitting the radiator anything but the normal orientation.

Thinking aloud - if the coolant in/out pipes were both at the top of the radiator, I'd be surprised if the coolant flowed very well through the radiator. Might end up with very poor cooling and therefore overheating.

obfripper

posted on 11/10/23 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
The original Healey radiator would have had pipes and tanks at top and bottom, the polo radiator has a divider in the end tank between the inlet/outlet so in your orientation the flow has to pass down one side and back up the other, effectively operating as one double length but half width radiator.

Just check there is a divider present between the inlet/outlet, I have had cheap copy radiators that have this part missing which made them useless as the coolant flow takes the easiest route.

Dave

Slimy38

posted on 11/10/23 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
The original Healey radiator would have had pipes and tanks at top and bottom, the polo radiator has a divider in the end tank between the inlet/outlet so in your orientation the flow has to pass down one side and back up the other, effectively operating as one double length but half width radiator.

Just check there is a divider present between the inlet/outlet, I have had cheap copy radiators that have this part missing which made them useless as the coolant flow takes the easiest route.

Dave

Yeah I did a bit of reading on how radiators work with inlets and outlets on one side, it's called a double pass radiator and as you say it's blocked midway between the connections. I tested it with a tie wrap shoved in both holes, there is a blockage in the end cap roughly mid point that corresponds with an almost imperceptible 'dent' in the plastic.

So if I understand it, as long as it can get down one side and back up the other (which it should do with a pressurised system), I should be fine with it being vertical?

Slimy38

posted on 11/10/23 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I used a Polo radiator on the Pinto engined MK Indy I built. On the lower pipe I had to have a 90° bend right out of the radiator. Worked fine. The nose of the MK wouldn't have allowed fitting the radiator anything but the normal orientation.

That's the thing I was finding, an average seven nosecone requires a normal orientation but I have a bit more freedom. I did find a 90 degree bend in the old MX5 plumbing, just before it crumbled into dust I was able to trial fit it and yes it did seem to physically fit.

I'd also not taken into account the fan that sits behind the radiator so there is a bit more of a gap required, but I would still prefer to run it vertically as long as it still does the job.

nick205

posted on 11/10/23 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
From memory, I got my 90° bend, by cutting from another coolant hose. Then a length of Ally pipe, then one of those flexi-hoses to reach the Pinto.
Slimy38

posted on 12/10/23 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
I managed to get the bonnet out of the shed yesterday, and I've put things in their rough position;

It seems to fit well vertically, although the bonnet and rad both need a bit of adjustment as they're just resting on a plank of wood for now!!

This is the inspiration I have for the front end, a vertical rad in the middle with metalwork either side;

I don't know how close I can get but I can see what happens.

[Edited on 12-10-23 by Slimy38]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.