Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Secondary monitor trouble
Jasper

posted on 4/2/05 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Secondary monitor trouble

Those lovely people at Dell have sent me an extra 17 inch Ultra Sharp monitor. So I've take it home and plugged it into my laptop. I've managed to get it so the mouse works over both screens, but it won't allow me to select the large monitor as the primary (it's greyed out), and I've no idea how to run programs (eg Toca 2) on the better screen.

Any ideas?

barraw

posted on 4/2/05 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
most laptop won't support dual-screens as it requires extra hardware (alhtough the latest Compaq 6300s do). On most laptops, you can switch between the laptop screen and the external screen by pressing the Function key and F5 (or key with screen icon on it). But generally, you can't extend your desktop to both screens.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Hellfire

posted on 4/2/05 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Most of the latter day ATI cards support dual screens. Depends on your hardware...

flak monkey

posted on 4/2/05 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Most of the time you can just switch the laptop screen off and use the external one. Usually the key combo is Fn+F5. This will cycle through laptop, laptop+monitor and monitor screens.

Alternatively of course, you can set up the monitors to span, then run your games windowed. Drag them across to the second screen and maximise. Desktop on one screen, game on the other.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Jasper

posted on 5/2/05 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
The laptop has a video card - nvidia geoforce - it will happly display the other monitor and I can took at Windows based progams, Firefox, Outlook etc on it and have the mouse working between them. It's when I start games programs that do not allow you to drag the window around that I can't shift them to the new screen.

I've tried Fn F5 and various others and nothing. I would quite happily just have the monitor work and the laptop screen off it I could do that.

Jasper

posted on 8/2/05 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Still need help

Any further thoughts?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.