Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fighting with a fuel tank in a Fury
scudderfish

posted on 23/3/24 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Fighting with a fuel tank in a Fury

Years ago I bought a bigger tank made for a Fury from someone on here. I've finally got around to fitting it. My car has an Atlas rear axle, and whilst the tank will fit when it's in, it's fouling on the diff getting it in.

I'd like to not have to drop the axle and hopefully get away with just removing the rear cover. Any idea if there is much clearance between the inside of the cover and the crown wheel? If I'm only going to gain 2mm it's not worth draining the diff and I'll have to drop the axle.

adithorp

posted on 24/3/24 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
It might squeeze out with the cover off but I doubt it. Pretty sure the crown wheel protrudes something like 1/2 as far as the cover.
A lot of people cut a section of the rear panel to be able to get the tank out and then make a cover the secure over it.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

scudderfish

posted on 24/3/24 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Cutting the bodywork is not something I want to do. Daughter's BF is coming over next weekend so I'll rope him in and drop the axle.
jacko

posted on 24/3/24 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Rubber mallet and modify the tank to miss the diff
Even if you drop the axle dose it not go up and down in driving

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 25/3/24 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at your springs you still have heaps of travel left so your going to have to take a big notch out the tank.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scudderfish

posted on 25/3/24 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
The tank will fit without hitting the diff, once it is in place. Right now my struggle is manoevering it into place. It needs to go in at an angle and then rotate unless I take a saw to the bodywork.
jacko

posted on 26/3/24 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
If you think it will fit by lowering the axle that seams the way to do it 👍😀
Graham

scudderfish

posted on 29/3/24 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
It's in!
It is in
It is in

Other view
Other view

(the forum doesn't appear to honour rotation EXIF info )

We (daughter's BF and I) undid the panhard rod and detached the shocks that enabled us to drop the axle by about 3-4 inches without disconnecting the prop of brake pipe. Heaved it in to find the filler pipe wasn't going through the hole in the boot floor. Tank out, apply violence and power tools to boot floor and then it fit in

Feeling knackered now though.

jacko

posted on 29/3/24 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Where there’s a will there is a way
Well done to you both

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.