Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake bleed using windscreen washer pump
number-1

posted on 27/3/24 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Brake bleed using windscreen washer pump

Evening All

I was chatting to someone today about brake bleeding and easy ways to do it alone.We spoke about the usual ezebleed type devices. He said he had heard of someone making a home brew bleed kit with an old windscreen washer pump, a small 12v battery and a bit of pipe.

Has anyone tried this as it sounds like a pretty good idea.

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/3/24 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Just hanging the bottle a couple of meters above the car with a pipe down to a spare cap will do the same thing, that used to be a normal method for garages when flushing the brakes.

Ezebleed's ok, I have a couple in the garage but the quality is a bit rubbish, especially the gaskets they supply. I bought another brand which although a lot cheaper was much better made. I had more than once pressurised brake fluid blast out the cap all over the engine bay (great for removing paint).

Any small electric pump will work, for a while till the brake fluid reacts with it. Will an old screen wash work? yeah no doubt, just don't expect to use it for anything else after. These day's I use nothing more than a bit of hose and a jar, that's all that's really needed. It makes me laugh at those one way valves things that claim you now bleed it yourself . One way valve? the bubbles float up, not down! what does the valve do??

Pressss, hold... let go, Pressss, hold... let go that's how to do it

Or you can have cable brakes... they are very easy to bleed

[Edited on 27/3/24 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 28/3/24 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
A bit of clear hose into a jam jar, open bleed nipple and watch.
Just needs cap off the resevoir and keep it topped up. Bit slow but it works.... and you can do all 4 at the same time if you are impatient.

And I have heard of somebody using the pump bit of a hand soap bottle to suck brake fluid. The downside of sucking is that you can get air pulled through the bleed nipple threads, so a dab of brake grease on them helps.

[Edited on 28/3/24 by cliftyhanger]

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/3/24 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
First rule of cars, keep it stupid simple -

linky

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 28/3/24 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Ezebleed's ok, I have a couple in the garage but the quality is a bit rubbish, especially the gaskets they supply. I bought another brand which although a lot cheaper was much better made. I had more than once pressurised brake fluid blast out the cap all over the engine bay (great for removing paint).

For me they work fine, if you completely ignore their instructions!! If you go for anything close to the 20PSI they suggest, then everything starts to leak. If you drop it to 10 or below then it's much more reliable. I'd be interested in the other brand though, do you recall what it is?

tegwin

posted on 28/3/24 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
What car is it?

After years of using an ezibleed on my 23 year old polo I discovered that I could use the diagnostic software to make the ABS pump bleed the brakes for me...

Set the bleed routine running and it tells you which nipple to open....the brakes have never felt so sharp

[Edited on 28/3/24 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Bluemoon

posted on 28/3/24 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
My advise is pressure bleed if you can, vacuum bleeding is not always successful.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.