Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2 row number plates on a car
Slimy38

posted on 29/4/24 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
2 row number plates on a car

This might be an obvious one but I wanted to ask. I put the fog and reverse lights on my car this weekend;



And following the regs of having the fog light at least 100mm away from a stop light, I've ended up with a middle gap that only just supports a single line number plate. It's close, it just looks a bit ugly. However a 2 row plate looks so much better.

Reading the number plate leaflet is as useful as most other government docs, it talks about motorcycles have to be split over 2 lines but nothing about whether cars can? Is it ok? Is Mr IVA going to be disappointed that I am using a 2 row plate or am I just overthinking it?

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 29/4/24 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Some lorries have them over two lines on the back of the trailer ....... no idea if that means a car can.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
ianhurley20

posted on 29/4/24 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Is Mr IVA going to be disappointed that I am using a 2 row plate or am I just overthinking it?

When you go for IVA there will be no numberplate on the car.
I don't see any issue with the plate you want to use, lots of new vehicles have them - look at Land Rover Discovery's for example

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 29/4/24 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
As above some lorries have 2 row plates, as do some mini-cabs (ordinary cars).

If concerned, I'd have a single row plate made up for the IVA test and then maybe swap for a 2 row after. Just drill your mounting holes carefully (or even tidier use the adhesive pads).

Good point - no plates at IVA (here's mine at SVA)...

SVA 3
SVA 3


[Edited on 29-4-24 by nick205]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 29/4/24 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
Is Mr IVA going to be disappointed that I am using a 2 row plate or am I just overthinking it?

When you go for IVA there will be no numberplate on the car.


Doh, that's quite an obvious faux pas on my part!! However you have made me realise something, I should have looked in the IVA manual itself. Section 4 is an entire section for the rear number plate, and it talks about permitted sizes. It also talks about having it properly supported rather than just hanging, so if I do go for a 2 row plate I'm going to need some basic frame to hold it in place.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWalker

posted on 29/4/24 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Two row plates are commonly used on the back of old Land Rovers - a single line plate is too wide to fit on one side of the tub and it can't go on the tailgate/rear door, as these may be left open or removed when transporting items.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 29/4/24 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
2 lines is fine on any vehicle.
2 lines MUST be fitted to motorbikes
3 lines were outlawed on post 2001 MADE numberplates.
3 lines are allowed on motorbikes registered before Jan 73








Mistral Motorsport

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 29/4/24 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Also, whilst you wont have a plate at IVA, you do need to allow for one:
And as you can see, option 2 is 2 line plate (340x240).







Mistral Motorsport

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 29/4/24 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Doh, that's quite an obvious faux pas on my part!! However you have made me realise something, I should have looked in the IVA manual itself. Section 4 is an entire section for the rear number plate, and it talks about permitted sizes. It also talks about having it properly supported rather than just hanging, so if I do go for a 2 row plate I'm going to need some basic frame to hold it in place.


If its fixed to the body that's fine for either size. I would assume they mean if the majority was supported it would be acceptable, so for example if you had the top half of the plate screwed or self adhesive stripped to the body and the bottom half below the line of the body, that wouldnt be classed as hanging. They are trying to discourage people from using wires or hinged brackets etc to hang the plate of the back of the car.





Mistral Motorsport

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 29/4/24 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Doh, that's quite an obvious faux pas on my part!! However you have made me realise something, I should have looked in the IVA manual itself. Section 4 is an entire section for the rear number plate, and it talks about permitted sizes. It also talks about having it properly supported rather than just hanging, so if I do go for a 2 row plate I'm going to need some basic frame to hold it in place.


If its fixed to the body that's fine for either size. I would assume they mean if the majority was supported it would be acceptable, so for example if you had the top half of the plate screwed or self adhesive stripped to the body and the bottom half below the line of the body, that wouldnt be classed as hanging. They are trying to discourage people from using wires or hinged brackets etc to hang the plate of the back of the car.


Thanks Loggyboy, that section 4 proved very useful. Given that I now have a measurement to work to, I know for definite that I don't have enough space for an 'option 1' plate. It's only 510 between lights.

I think if I fixed a plate as it is, I'd have to put the screws quite high on the plate, and maybe two thirds would be dangling down. I know what you mean about 'hanging' being more like wires or hinges, but in my case I reckon 10 minutes at motorway speed would be enough to shake it free. I'll add a couple of lower brackets just to make sure it's not flapping in the wind.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWalker

posted on 29/4/24 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I think if I fixed a plate as it is, I'd have to put the screws quite high on the plate, and maybe two thirds would be dangling down. I know what you mean about 'hanging' being more like wires or hinges, but in my case I reckon 10 minutes at motorway speed would be enough to shake it free. I'll add a couple of lower brackets just to make sure it's not flapping in the wind.


My front plate has spent almost 25 years screwed to an inch-and-a-half round tube. It is entirely unsupported except for the contact line along the centre of the plate. I've only had to replace it once and that was due to one of my children damaging it.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 29/4/24 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I think if I fixed a plate as it is, I'd have to put the screws quite high on the plate, and maybe two thirds would be dangling down. I know what you mean about 'hanging' being more like wires or hinges, but in my case I reckon 10 minutes at motorway speed would be enough to shake it free. I'll add a couple of lower brackets just to make sure it's not flapping in the wind.


My front plate has spent almost 25 years screwed to an inch-and-a-half round tube. It is entirely unsupported except for the contact line along the centre of the plate. I've only had to replace it once and that was due to one of my children damaging it.


Ah fair play! I didn't realise they were that strong to be honest, I expected the bolts to just pull themselves through after a few back and forth motions.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 29/4/24 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
did you know, the one line rear plate vs two line, is the easiest indicator on MX5 uk vs japan imports
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 29/4/24 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
My 4x4 has a 2 row plate and has had since 2002, never been mentioned.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 29/4/24 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
It also talks about having it properly supported rather than just hanging, so if I do go for a 2 row plate I'm going to need some basic frame to hold it in place.


I think the normal 'hanging' plates are those on the early classic minis, where the plate hangs down when the bootlid is open. but these had a clip so they didn't flap in the wind

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 30/4/24 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
If there's room for the linear plate, that keeps IVA simple. If its ugly, don't then use that space in that way. The IVA man won't come around later to check.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 30/4/24 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
If there's room for the linear plate, that keeps IVA simple. If its ugly, don't then use that space in that way. The IVA man won't come around later to check.


Unfortunately it doesn't fit, with the IVA manual I have a measurement to meet and I'm 10mm too short. In reality I'm sure I could recover 10mm by not using an EU badge or by trimming the edge down to the 11mm minimum.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply


go to top






Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.