Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how to get a q registration
smart51

posted on 5/2/05 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
how to get a q registration

How do you guarantee getting a q registration?

I want to build a BEC but if I use an engine/box from a single bike, does that count as two components and give me an age related plate?

JoelP

posted on 5/2/05 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
tell them that the gearbox came from another bike?! no marks on most... also, just make up a long list of different vehicles that all the different parts came from, and then tell them you want a q. If this fails, then there really is no hope!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Northy

posted on 5/2/05 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Why do yo want a Q plate?

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 5/2/05 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
If I use a post August 1995 bike engine that doesn't already have a closed loop lambda sensing emissions system (most of them don't) then I will need to buy one or borrow one. If I have a Q registration then I won't.

Is this true or is the age of the engine still used for emissions purposes even though it has a Q mark?

Northy

posted on 5/2/05 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Are you talking about emmissions test for SVA?

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 5/2/05 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
You don't get a registration till after SVA. You will have to pass emissions to get your Q plate anyway.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Hellfire

posted on 5/2/05 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
To get a registration legally, first the car has to go through an SVA. If you use an engine dated post August 1995, you will have to comply with stricter emission regulations at this test. No pass = No registration.

Northy

posted on 5/2/05 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Northy
Are you talking about emmissions test for SVA?

Thats what I was about to say!

Graham

smart51

posted on 5/2/05 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Ah. I was hoping to avoid fitting a get-my-bike-engine-to-work-with-a-cat system.

Is it true that if you fit one of these to get through SVA, you should keep it on your car for it's whole life?

What about MOT. If you get an age related plate, does it have to comply with a cat based emissions test at every MOT test?

Hellfire

posted on 5/2/05 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
No. You can dispose of it afterwards. Car will only be tested for visible smoke at MOT's. Ask around, I'm sure there are people/companies who rent-a-cat

David Jenkins

posted on 5/2/05 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
To answer the original question (whatever the motive)

The default is to get a Q plate - you only get something else if you ask, fill in forms, make an effort, etc.

David
(A q-plate driver, and proud of it! )

JoelP

posted on 5/2/05 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
No. You can dispose of it afterwards. Car will only be tested for visible smoke at MOT's. Ask around, I'm sure there are people/companies who rent-a-cat

are you saying that age related plated kitcars only get a visable smoke test at MOT time, or are you refering to q plate cars? i thought that age related must comply with emissions rules of the time.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Northy

posted on 5/2/05 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
I asked an MOT tester that I know. He said age related had to pass emissions test for age of engine. If it's the strict test then you need a printout of the emissions test, if to old emissions level its just a box to fill in to say it passed. He suggested maybe getting a friendly tester to do it and fill in the box as passed!

Graham

stephen_gusterson

posted on 6/2/05 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
but as you only get a Q once you have an sva thats all a bit pedantic....

circular argument anyone
?

atb

steve

stevebubs

posted on 6/2/05 at 01:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snoopy
are you saying that age related plated kitcars only get a visable smoke test at MOT time, or are you refering to q plate cars? i thought that age related must comply with emissions rules of the time.

q plates should only be a visible smoke test at mot

I've a suspicion you'll find that changes with the linked-up MOT system comes into play. You'll then have to pass the same emissions test you did at SVA - Q plate or not.

Just a suspicion, mind - not a hard fact.

mdc124

posted on 6/2/05 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Whats the 'linked up MOT system' when it's at home

I found a friendly tester BTW

Http://www.farend.co.uk/

The first MK Turnkey Indy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.