Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: inlet manifold for bike carbs
harvey115

posted on 18/2/05 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
inlet manifold for bike carbs

Im getting a inlet manifold made at the mo for my gsxr600 carbs to go on my 2 litre zetec they will be a proper job i will try and put up photo when i get it back it is costing me £150 if anybody is intrested just let me know
DarrenW

posted on 18/2/05 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Id be very interested in hearing how the conversion goes and what problems have to be overcome.

£150 sounds reasonable, i was quoted 180 - 220 ish. I wont be in a position to fit bike carbs until possibly after SVA which will be at least 9 months. Having said that - i just fitted my 38DGAS last night (onto std 2.0 pinto) and the bloody thing is higher than bonnet. I dont want to cut bonnet as i was toying with the idea of going 2.1 and better carbs another time. I might be forced to go for bike carbs a lot sooner.

How much you pay for carbs? Are 600 ones big enough? Are they easy to set up after fitting / and ok for SVA emmissions?

Cheers,
Darren.

Northy

posted on 18/2/05 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by harvey115
Im getting a inlet manifold made at the mo for my gsxr600 carbs to go on my 2 litre zetec they will be a proper job i will try and put up photo when i get it back it is costing me £150 if anybody is intrested just let me know

Are 600's big enough? I'd have thought you'd want 750's or 1000's (which I think are the same as 750's).

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
A fulton

posted on 18/2/05 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Bike crads

Hi
Give Bogg Brothers a ring
around £500 crads namifold airbox and rolling road
The Garage, East Lutton
Malton YO17 8TG
01944/738234

big_wasa

posted on 18/2/05 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I will be very intreted in any pics ect as I am going this route for my induction.The engine has set me back a bit as its not in as good a nick as I had hoped but I do have my carbs,these where R1's which set me back 60 quid from ebay and have a 40mm bore.I found most 600's have around a 36mm bore and was told its a bit to small? please keep me posted....
Ben Smith

posted on 19/2/05 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
GSXR 600's are 38mm. I am using these on my 1600 toyota 4age. Approx 150-160bhp. Just got to finish manifold and have swirl pot fitted to tank. It had better work, have now sold carbs!

Ben.

stevebubs

posted on 19/2/05 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm...this doesn't sound like a *huge* saving over using something like a set of webber 40s

Used 40s £150
Manifold £100-£150
RRoad £150-200

All-in approx £500 including jets etc

Or am I missing something?

Stephen

quote:
Originally posted by A fulton
Hi
Give Bogg Brothers a ring
around £500 crads namifold airbox and rolling road
The Garage, East Lutton
Malton YO17 8TG
01944/738234

Ian Pearson

posted on 19/2/05 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Hmmm...this doesn't sound like a *huge* saving over using something like a set of webber 40s

The factory that makes the DCOE's has shut down apparently, so that will probably put a premium on the 40's etc. The bike carbs are definately cheaper at the moment. I am not sure, but ISTR that the bike carbs use a little less fuel than the 40's, and if you can make up your own manifold, you've made a fair saving?

stevebubs

posted on 19/2/05 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Pearson
quote:

The factory that makes the DCOE's has shut down apparently, so that will probably put a premium on the 40's etc. The bike carbs are definately cheaper at the moment. I am not sure, but ISTR that the bike carbs use a little less fuel than the 40's, and if you can make up your own manifold, you've made a fair saving?

Agreed - if you go down the DIY fabrication route then you will make a saving. Just questioning the validity of spending £500 on some-one else doing the bike carb conversion for you when off the shelf parts are available for similar money.

PS Yes - webber factory is shut, but WebCom are going to manufacture some alternatives (BTW Still seeing 40 DCOEs / DHLAs jetted for xflow / pinto going for £150 or so)

Ian Pearson

posted on 19/2/05 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Just trying to point you in the direction of what you were missing.

stevebubs

posted on 19/2/05 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
No worries

I thoroughly agree with the principle and cost savings of a DIY install (I'm putting Gixxer TBs on my Zetec - final cost for TBs, manifold etc should be about £375 and I didn't really go as cheap as I could (paid £150 for the manifold)

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Pearson
quote:

Just trying to point you in the direction of what you were missing.

Ben Smith

posted on 19/2/05 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
A pair of used webber 40's went for £470 on ebay this week.

Ben.

stevebubs

posted on 19/2/05 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben Smith
A pair of used webber 40's went for £470 on ebay this week.

Ben.

Yep - and they were in "as new" condition so perfectly understandable - if you look at the pic, they're pretty much as they left the factory. Between then and now, many more sets of DCOES and DHLAs went for between £100 and £200.

big_wasa

posted on 19/2/05 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
ive not seen any in fair nic for fair money. My carbs have done 12000 from new and where only 60 quid but only time will tell if this is another lemon or not???????
gazza285

posted on 19/2/05 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Bike carbs should make the car more drivable as well as they are CV operation, they shouldn't bog down like Webers do when you floor it.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
garage19

posted on 20/2/05 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Just started up this avo, a 2.1 pinto on bike carbs that a mate and I built for his car.

38 mm GXR carbs.

First impressions are very good. Great throttle response and sounds beautiful.

The carbs cost 40 quid from a breakers and the manifold was made by us and welded by our local TIG welder for 15 quid.

Carbs were split and re-spaced with extended linkages. Using Megajolt for ignition.

I have posted pictures of the engine before when it was out of the car (See CARBS.1, 2 and 3 in my photo album).

A very cost effective option I think. Proper locost stuff.

I will let you know how we get on when we get on the rollers.

Someone mentioned that Webcon were carrying on the production of side draughts.... This is right, but have you seen their prices for them? Think 50% more than Weber and you will be in the right ball park!!!!!!!!

DC

[Edited on 20/2/05 by garage19]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.