Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wet weather handling
zilspeed

posted on 2/3/05 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Wet weather handling

It occured to me today....

Having driven the GTM yesterday - rain/wind/snow/road grit slime -

The relatively stiff suspension of the car was really not suited to those conditions.
Don't get me wrong, it didn't do anything nasty at all but it just seemed to be not quite at home.
Drove the Volkswagen today in basically the same conditions and it seemd much more at home.
I suspect that when the weather and road conditions have improved and especially on track the GTM will really come into it's own whereas the VW's handling would fall apart at the limit.

It also occured to me that in a previous conversation with another Locostbuilder (gizmo), he reckoned that in certain conditions his standard Impreza was quicker than the stripped out one they have with the cage and ultra stiff suspension - the dedicated race car.

Anyone have an opinion on the relative performance of their Locost/MK/racer/whatever special car in less than ideal conditions compared to their nice sensible daily driver ?

blueshift

posted on 2/3/05 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
I think it's psychological. my mx5 seems very slow (or slippery) in the wet, but that's just because it's so fast round corners in the dry.

I don't think stiffness of suspension will have a lot to do with it. having overly wide or too-slick tyres might.

Hellfire

posted on 2/3/05 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe a sh!te set of tyres is what you have on?

Try some other tyres... they affect the handling of a car more than I ever realised...

Jon Ison

posted on 2/3/05 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
we, well i, do change the set up of the car for wet weather race's, i would,nt bother for the road mainly cos wet roads n light nippy cars dont mix that well so i try and stay off em.

zilspeed

posted on 2/3/05 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Maybe a sh!te set of tyres is what you have on?

Try some other tyres... they affect the handling of a car more than I ever realised...

This is more than likely to be the case.
Because of the size of the tyres - 185/55x13" - choice is very limited.

Dunlop D8
Pirelli P600
Toyo R610
Camac Auriga

I have a Dunlop D8 on the NSF, a Pirelli P600 on the OSF on the front - both pretty ancient design if I'm correct and very obviously different, and the Camac garbage on the back....

So - first spend on the car will be a set of tyres.
It looks like the toyos will be getting my vote, but I can be persuaded otherwise if you think it's necessary.

[Edited on 2/3/05 by zilspeed]

SeaBass

posted on 2/3/05 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
What about a new set of wheels and tyres...

What is the setup on that 'thing' (you locost traitor!! lol)? Is it all Metro stuff I presume the front subframe and engine are lurking in the back?? How does it work at the front?

You must have something knocking around at Zilspeed towers??

Cheers
JC

zilspeed

posted on 2/3/05 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
What about a new set of wheels and tyres...

What is the setup on that 'thing' (you locost traitor!! lol)? Is it all Metro stuff I presume the front subframe and engine are lurking in the back?? How does it work at the front?

You must have something knocking around at Zilspeed towers??

Cheers
JC

Well - seeing as you asked nicely....

It has a Metro front subframe in the back with the engine and transaxle. It also has a second metro front subframe at the front - which is mounted at a slight angle to standard to suit the fact that the car is no longer FWD and needs slightly different geometry. It uses hydragas suspension as well - connected front to rear. It works honest.

Regarding wheels - I could fit MGF wheels right on, but they would need the rear face machining to keep the offset correct. I would also need to fit 195/40x15" tyres to keep the diameter correct. Unfortunately, these don't exist.

Having had a look at the bold Jock's (Millar) RAC blue book yesterday, I would like to fit some Yoko A539s - just like yours - 185/60x13". These aren't terribly far away and they are good for sprinting and hillclimbing as per list 1A.

P.S. Will yourself or Lindsay be attending the production car trial on Sunday ?

SeaBass

posted on 2/3/05 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
PCT - Yes we'll be in attendance - Pretswell Snr & Jnr in the MG, myself and the missus (if I can prise her out of bed) in the GT6...

You considering it in the new beast?

Cheers

[Edited on 2/3/05 by SeaBass]

zilspeed

posted on 2/3/05 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
PCT - Yes we'll be in attendance - Pretswell Snr & Jnr in the MG, myself and the missus (if I can prise her out of bed) in the GT6...

You considering it in the new beast?

Cheers

[Edited on 2/3/05 by SeaBass]

Nah - no ground clearance.

I'll be in the class with the trials cars and the LSDs if they allow me in at all.
Seeing as the only car I have that I can use has LSD, traction and err........
4WD.

But it's a passat Mr - it's not a bleeding off roader.

SeaBass

posted on 3/3/05 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Errr - don't think 4wd is allowed in any class mate... Kind of defeats the object. I need to check the regs!

Cheers

zilspeed

posted on 3/3/05 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I know - but I'm under pain of death to attend.

I'll be the one wearing the Marshall bib in all probability.

When I mentioned that RACMSA rules specifically prohibit such things, I was advised that I should come along anyway.

As I say - I'll be on the sidelines.

[Edited on 3/3/05 by zilspeed]

jmbillings

posted on 7/3/05 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
T7 is shocking on wet roads - if you saw the F1 Qualifying when Massa went out, you'll get the idea.
That's "Economy" tyres for ya...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.