Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Mini Problems
James

posted on 24/3/05 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
New Mini Problems

Heya,

Anyone know anything about the new style Minis?

A colleague of mine has got a weird problem with his steering on his 2002 Cooper that BMW seem unable to resolve.

Said I'd post as he's not getting any joy from BMW.
Quoted problems to me are:
- "It feels like it has incorrect tracking,
- overly strong responce to camber (steering wheel jumps out of hands on any uneven road surface)
- no steering feedback- ie. no idea what the wheels are actually doing.
- sloppy steering"

Car used to be sharp and direct to control- it's a Cooper and my mate has done a lot of Karting so should know what he's on about!

He's had the tracking checked by an independent place- all appeared ok apart from tracking *ever so slightly* out (now corrected). Has also had it at BMW on their KDS system but they can't find anything wrong. Problem stopped after BMW test and then suddenly re-occurred today.

Any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks,
James

P.S. Anyone know of any good new Mini forums where this might be discussed if it's a common problem?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

MikeR

posted on 24/3/05 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
i've no idea what i'm talking about but i'd guess its got a problem with the power steering, its either using too much force all the time or only occasionally........ if its an electric steering rack then i'd guess its the ecu / torque sensor, if fluid rack its the torque sensor.

so how do you diagnose an intermittent fault? no idea i wait till it fails

(remember i've absolutely NO idea what i'm talking about - pure total unadulterated guesswork)

Jasper

posted on 24/3/05 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Any hairdressers forums should be able to help
britishtrident

posted on 24/3/05 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
I had a a similar problem on a Rover 820 steering rack suddenly lost all feed back, it was 100% power steering not power assisted steering -- due to a valve fault on the rack.

Don't know if the BMW Maxi (it is just too big to be a called Mini) is hydraulic or electric power steering but either way there must be some sort of feed back mech.

Triton

posted on 24/3/05 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
He should have bought a real Mini and not that fat lardy new effort.....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Northy

posted on 24/3/05 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
My mate has just got rid of his mini as at its first MOT it needed a new power steering pump and rack!

Perhaps a weak point?

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 24/3/05 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
tyres on the right way round ? are they one way directional ?
jacko

Mark Allanson

posted on 24/3/05 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
The new mini is a BMW, and BMW's never have any problems so it must be down to the driver.

(Sorry, I work with a chap who used to work for the local BM agent - it seems to be rubbing off a bit!)

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Triton

posted on 24/3/05 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Nope they are just ugly and about time people admitted to it...
flak monkey

posted on 24/3/05 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
The visibility in them is crap too....they also look tacky/like they will last 5 mins inside

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

phelpsa

posted on 24/3/05 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
But the normal coopers will do 130mph (on the clock) downhill with 3 people, as tested on a private road

flak monkey

posted on 24/3/05 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
But the normal coopers will do 130mph (on the clock) downhill with 3 people, as tested on a private road

Thats not especially quick really...

They would be quicker if they were a proper mini...ie small and light, rather than huge and overweight!

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

nick205

posted on 24/3/05 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
Well James, the general opinion appears to be that your pal should have got a better car IMHO the "new" Mini along with the "new" beetle are both appaling examples of corporate money spinners

Sorry not to be constructive, but I have just got back from the pub

Nick

mackie

posted on 25/3/05 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
I think you guys are being a bit hard on the thing. It might be sad than such an iconic brand went to the germans but i think the new one inherits the spirit of the old. It simply wouldn't be viable to make it the same size as the old mini, it wouldn't safe, practical or indeed it wouldn't sell very well.
As for the problem, it does sound power-steering related, maybe the valve is sticking or something?
I think I'd have a Clio Sport Cup instead of a Cooper S or a Puma/SportKa/Lupo GTi etc instead of a Cooper.
The MINI is a bit like the TT, it's the obvious choice for that market sector and more people buy it for the looks/image than the drive even though it drives very well (TT not so brilliant though).

Stu16v

posted on 25/3/05 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
Anyway, back to the MINI bashing...

Dont just build it.....make it!

JamJah

posted on 25/3/05 at 12:55 AM Reply With Quote
Heard there was a new accesory for the new mini. It can be fitted in either the front or the side.
Its called a tree.

Has he written a stinking letter to Mini HQ. Its how you get good customer service now-a-days. Go to the top. If its within 3 months he should be able 'not accept' the car and with a proved fault that cant be repaired get a new one.

Snuggs

posted on 25/3/05 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mackie
I think you guys are being a bit hard on the thing. It might be sad than such an iconic brand went to the germans but i think the new one inherits the spirit of the old. It simply wouldn't be viable to make it the same size as the old mini, it wouldn't safe, practical or indeed it wouldn't sell very well.

How can you call a car that is clearly much larger than ALL small cars on the road a MINI.
The spirit of the original was that it was small, compact, basic, cheap to run,cheap to buy, easy to park and fun.
Non of these apply to the new one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

DarrenW

posted on 25/3/05 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
The new mini has an EPAS steering system made by NSK Steering Systems (i used to work for them). I have heard that there is a problem on some ref the ECU. It may need to be re-programmed.

I can recall reading an article where one lost its assisted steering. System had to be replaced.
I would try doing search to get more details before panicking too much. My data is not conclusive.

Jasper

posted on 25/3/05 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
My Mum has one of these, a Copper, she loves it, I hate it. It's an auto, and never knows what gear it wants to be in as it's got so many and can't make up it's mind. The seats are crap, no support at all, and like sitting on rubber. The dash is unbelievably plasticy. It does go round corner quite well though.....
mackie

posted on 25/3/05 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snuggs

How can you call a car that is clearly much larger than ALL small cars on the road a MINI.
The spirit of the original was that it was small, compact, basic, cheap to run,cheap to buy, easy to park and fun.
Non of these apply to the new one.

I think that's a slight exageration, as I said it'd be impossible to make something the size of the real mini these days, you simply can't package everything (any you NEEEED the 18in alloys - not!) and make it safe.
I'd say it is cheap to run, reasonably cheap to buy. Problem is that if you want any extras (and you do) the price goes skywards very quickly.
I guess the fact that I got a Puma instead says what I think though.

Peteff

posted on 25/3/05 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
My Mum has one of these, a Copper,

It's not a Mini and should never have been called that but as far as looks go it's far better than the Ka which looks like a german helmet on wheels. I didn't realise your mum was the Polis Jasper

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Jasper

posted on 25/3/05 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Pete - you're so funny

I don't mind the look of the mini, I think they'll done a good job for a new car that has to conform to new reg's. It's the crap interior I hate

[Edited on 25/3/05 by Jasper]

britishtrident

posted on 25/3/05 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
I can understand why anyone would want one, it is exactly the opposite of Issigonnis's Mini, it looks like it was designed by Albert Speer.
It all boils down to the fact that "Thatchers children" are so conditioned to designer labels they don't actually look at what they are buying.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.