Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Building your own buggy
flyingkiwi

posted on 7/4/05 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Building your own buggy

My youngest boy (12 yrs old) told me today that he wants to build a locost like me when he's older. The thing is his mechanical skills are almost non-existent and I want to help him learn the basics in preparation for his impending locost (probably finish it before I finish mine!). I've suggested to him that we build an off-road buggy together, where I can teach him the basic of mechanics, maybe a bit of welding and engine stuff.

I've looked into Good Old Ron's book on building a buggy for as little as £1000 (intended) and was wondering if any of you lot out there have looked into this before I fork out some dosh on a load of tosh.

I want something that the kids will be able to build, that won't take too long, cheap, easy to operate and works. My initial idea was to modify a trashed quad bike as I think the engine and transmition would be perfect. I've checked out Rorty's site and think that his buggy's are a bit ott for my needs.

Anyone out there ever built their own buggies?

Cheers
Chris

[Edited on 7/4/05 by flyingkiwi]

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

JonBowden

posted on 7/4/05 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
I know this isn't quite what you asked but have you thought of getting him into kart racing.
A friend and I shared an old kart years ago. Neither of us was that quick - but young kids were amazing. I swore that if I ever had a son I would take him karting. I now do and he isn't interested - that's life.

Jon

flyingkiwi

posted on 7/4/05 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
I thought about the kart, but like you say, he wasn't that interested. Sam's not a big speed freak, but he does love getting dirty, we had an lt50 when he was a bit younger and I was forever cleaning it after he went for a blast. Had to get rid of it when he got too big, but aways thought about getting the next size up for him. By building a buggy, I should be able to get him into engineering, plus save myself near on £2000 buying one!

Cheers
Chris

carcentric

posted on 7/4/05 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
. . . OR . . .

Since he's not a speed freak, maybe either a Burlington Arrow or Chieftan might be a good starter project. Single donor vehicle (Triumph Herald or Spitfire with rusted out body), and you can either rebuild each system (e.g., suspension, engine) before you use it, or simply leave it all in one piece if it's working.

The plans are available on CD for L15 at http://www.turn-the-crank.com/ - NFI on my part. I run a yahoo.group where owners/builders exchange info.

BTW, as a retired family therapist, I'd go for something with a quick completion (feeling of success) over a drawn out ordeal (likely to be abandoned) given his age and vehicular inexperience.

[Edited on 7/4/05 by carcentric]

M D "Doc" Nugent
http://www.carcentric.com

chris.russell

posted on 7/4/05 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
have you considered getting some plans from The Edge in oz?

they do a range of buggies starting from a go-kart style right up to a full off road monster buggies (I made the piranha last year and it was awesome!).

i think the trax II should be suitable.

Trax II

Mines a pint

MikeR

posted on 7/4/05 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to recall coments previously that the off road kart isn't that brillant - lack of suspension etc...........

but for a project to race around the garden (i assume you've got a garden about 10 times the size of mine) i think it would be ideal.

clbarclay

posted on 7/4/05 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I've heard of buggies being made from old mini's etc. just make a basic chassis to hold the subframes and engine. And even one with the engine mini engine mounted in the middle driving all 4 wheels, which has the advantage of slowing the cars top speed down alot.

Alternatively if hes more interested in the driving rather than the building, then any old banger (with plenty of space off public highway to dive it) is good fun.

flyingkiwi

posted on 7/4/05 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info guy's, the trax II is on the lines of what I'm thinking of. Sam's well into his lego so thinking that the building is just as important as the driving, and I think the quicker we can build it the better. Hence the thinking of a quad bike donor, simple engine, big tyres, the transmission and suspension all there. Been looking on ebay for a trashed one, not much about though.

Unfortunately my garden aint that big, but I do have a rather lovely old RAF airfield just down the road, which if they use for karting, I'm sure they won't mind a buggy.

I'm thinking along the lines of using Ron's book as a guideline (a bit like the locost book) and using it to build a chassis, then look at finding ways of attaching the quad bike suspension and stuff in it. Sounds like the easiest solution to me. Hey if it don't work then just remake it. Thats what learnings all about!

Cheers
Chris

petescamel

posted on 8/4/05 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
interested

drop me a u2u with your address and i'll post you a cd

buggy
buggy

flyingkiwi

posted on 8/4/05 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know what the rules and regs are on using a buggy/quad on beaches?

MikeR

posted on 8/4/05 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
none if you don't get caught !

try asking the local council as i'm sure its there domain - just like on park land.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.