Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Quick Release Steering Wheel Hub
Pete Jordan

posted on 11/4/05 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Quick Release Steering Wheel Hub

Has anyone fitted a quick release steering wheel hub to a Sierra steering column? If so, could you tell me how you did it, which hub you used and even post some photos please?!
chrism

posted on 11/4/05 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
I,ve not fitted one to a sierra column yet but plan to on my locost after SVA when I cahnge to a mountney Wheel.
I have use one before on a CRX though.
I used a Ripspeed boss which had mounting holes for Mountney and Raid pattern wheels. the bottom part pf the snap off mounts the the boss using the mountney bolt pattern and the top part mounts to the wheel, I think newer ones have both patterns for Mountney and Raid Styles.
For the sierra column I have a mountey wheel and boss and the snap on part will bolt between the two.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

Peteff

posted on 11/4/05 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
My mate used a nice weld on fitting from D Tweeks a few years ago. I don't know if they still do them though.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JohnN

posted on 11/4/05 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Keep an eye on ebay for items like ....

THIS

monkey69

posted on 11/4/05 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Some pics of my column and wheel here:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=21389

Might get rid of them soon.

Northy

posted on 12/4/05 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Why you getting rid? I'd be interested

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pete Jordan

posted on 14/4/05 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks very much for the comments everybody. That's certainly given me food for thought, and I shall be searching ebay regularly; £62 for that one in your link John was a bargain, considering it included the wheel!

regards

Pete

tomm

posted on 15/4/05 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
'Snap off' make one which is SVA and TUV approved, and has a horn push suitable for sierra wiring.
I fitted one to a robin hood I built and got through SVA no probs, though at that time I bought it they didn't make an adaptor to fit a mountney wheel, I made one myself [ easy if you have a lathe] . last year at stonleigh there were several dealers selling them price is about 65. the cheapest type 30pounds which is not SVA approved you can buy from Europa, these have to have the spline bit welded to the steering column. the snap off is much superior though costs more and also doesn't need anywelding. pay your money and take your pick

Pete Jordan

posted on 16/4/05 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
Tom,

thanks for the info. The reason I am thinking of fitting a quick release boss is to make it easier getting in and out of the car without stepping on the seats.

regards

Pete

monkey69

posted on 21/4/05 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
On the 'bay:

Quick release column and wheel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.