Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: One Year On
santcliff

posted on 14/4/05 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
One Year On

Oh doesn't time fly?

Just got the V11 through the post and had a bit of a panic; but I think I've calmed down now.

I've got a "Date of First Registration" as 11/05/2004 on the V5. So does that mean that I don't need an MOT when i go and get the Road Tax?

I'm thinking/hoping it does as i've got a few jobs to finish before i'd be able to get it through the MOT (and i don't want to be rushed)

What are people experiences?

Stuart

PS. Bloody hell, its £170! Thats more than the insurance...

One o' cross beams gone owt askew ont' treddle

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 14/4/05 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
conflicting opinions on this one, there are others who know more. but i seem to remember that the advice was to get one just in case

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Marcus

posted on 14/4/05 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
The best bet is to tax it online, at DVLA website. They have all records and the site will tell you if you need MOT

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 14/4/05 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
If your reminder doesn't say that you need one, then you don't need one.

If your reminder says that an MOT is required - ring the DVLA in Swansea. I had a reminder for my first renewal when the car was 6 months old, which required an MOT. Spoke to woman in Swansea who fixed the records, with an apology along the lines of "we're having a few problems with our computer..."

David

santcliff

posted on 14/4/05 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
If i can pay it on line I will. I cannot see where on their site you have to go. Can you provide pointers?

santcliff

posted on 14/4/05 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Good Evening Mr Jenkins.

I seem to remember there being something on my forms before, a check box for the MOT.

However, i think they have updated the form and it is not obvious that there is not a requirement for an MOT (if you see what i mean)

There is nothing on there about not needing an MOT if you are within 3 years of first registration.

s

paulf

posted on 14/4/05 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Just retaxed my car on the 1st of month, I used the logbook at post office and did not need an MOT , i pointed out the date of reg on the logbook was july 2004.they accepted this no problems even though I have a 1968 Greg.
Paul.

David Jenkins

posted on 15/4/05 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by santcliff
Good Evening Mr Jenkins.

Good Morning, Sir!

quote:

I seem to remember there being something on my forms before, a check box for the MOT.

However, i think they have updated the form and it is not obvious that there is not a requirement for an MOT (if you see what i mean)

There is nothing on there about not needing an MOT if you are within 3 years of first registration.

s

Now they just print a list of the things you need to take to the Post Office - Insurance, etc - and if the list doesn't include "MOT Certificate" then you don't need one.

It's fairly irrelevant anyway, 'cos all they do in the PO is scan the barcode, look at the screen, then tell you whether you've brought everything anyway!

BTW - you can't tax a car on-line if an MOT Cert is required, and the cert you've got is hand-written. You have to have one of the new computer-printed ones, otherwise the DVLA abacus can't confirm that you have one.

David

santcliff

posted on 15/4/05 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
The form doesn't have the list of things you need any more. The back says "Valid Vehicle Test Certificate - if require"

So where is this buying road tax online. i cannot find it.

s

andyps

posted on 15/4/05 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
How does the DVLA online system cope relative to an insurance document?

[Edited on 15/4/05 by andyps]

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

David Jenkins

posted on 15/4/05 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
The insurance companies' keep a database that is read by the DVLA...

David

Marcus

posted on 15/4/05 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I've just had another look on DVLA website and I can't see where to tax online!! Last year, I followed a link which was on my reminder - can't find it anymore.

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
santcliff

posted on 16/4/05 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
The deed is done.

I can confirm that if you do need an MOT there is a box on the bottom left of the V11 saying so.

Nice lady at post office didn't even open the V5, just checked name/address/reg matched on the V11.

Stuart

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.