Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: engine,s your views
kaymar

posted on 15/4/05 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
engine,s your views

i appreciate we all have our own opinions on which is best and why. i have a sierra 2.0 dohc engine and box an old xflow engine and box but at present not convinced with either, i have a book chassis and would like to fit the smallest body work style. just wondering on how or what others have done i/e engine and box set ups. martin
Mr G

posted on 15/4/05 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
2.0l XE mate

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

gazza285

posted on 15/4/05 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Crossflow over DOHC every time for me. Its lighter, more tuneable, a lot smaller and arguably more reliable as well. Keep an eye out for bargain tuning bits and you can build yourself a nice motor. I am not using the standard box though, I'll be using an RS2000 box and bellhousing.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gazza285

posted on 15/4/05 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr G
2.0l XE mate

Muchos money mate.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr G

posted on 15/4/05 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
quote:
Originally posted by Mr G
2.0l XE mate

Muchos money mate.

I don't see any extreme cost that you would'nt have to pay minimum for other twincam options, you'll get an engine from £150 these days, my mk2 cav dizzy and coilsetup was £15 from the breakers. The exhaust is the original tubular item cut and welded the other way. 8v steel sump modifies nicely. £50 for the 1.8 vauxhall box from the breakers. DCOE manifold in at £80.

Leaving the 45's to be the most expensive item but then that cost will also be providing a jump in bhp up to the 170/180 mark. Lets say £350 for them.

I've seen other posts (i.e neds) giving the same type of part/cost breakdown. Fits under standard bodywork.

If in doubt fit a large elastic band

Cheers

G

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

Danozeman

posted on 15/4/05 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec. Light cheap and easily tubeable and loads about.

Xe's are good but theyr older and would need a rebuild before fitting and getting more scarce.

[Edited on 15/4/05 by Danozeman]

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Mr G

posted on 15/4/05 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
Zetec. Light cheap and easily tubeable and loads about.
[Edited on 15/4/05 by Danozeman]

Muchos money mate.

Stu16v

posted on 15/4/05 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
And most have done just as many, if not more miles than most XE's (as most have been powering repmobiles/taxi's about...)

Dont just build it.....make it!

gazza285

posted on 15/4/05 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
"jump in bhp up to the 170/180 mark"

Not with an Mk2 Cavalier dizzy you won't.

Mix

posted on 16/4/05 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think an XE or Zetec will fit under standard, ie book dimension, bodywork without a fair bit of work/expense.

Mick

Jon Ison

posted on 16/4/05 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
of the two engines you have i would fit the x flow.

Danozeman

posted on 16/4/05 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Thats a true point mix i failed to mention. For Zetec u will have to use a higher nose cone and im sure the same applies for XE??

As Jon said above thou the x flow is the easiest option and can be good..

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

rusty nuts

posted on 16/4/05 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
I would use the cross flow in preference to the twin cam, another twin cam worth considering is the Toyata 4AGE . Not much bigger than the crossflow ?
David Jenkins

posted on 16/4/05 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
I have a crossflow - one major factor in its favour is that maintenance is really easy - it's a big boy's Meccano set. It's fairly compact and easy to fit in a Locost. There's also a wide range of Ford gearboxes available for little money. Buying spares can be 'interesting', although places like Burtons have just about everything you need for everything from a service to a full overhaul - at a price. They'll even sell you the parts to make a completely new engine from scratch! Expect to pay many thousands for that option, though.

It fails to be an economic choice if the engine is knackered, as you can say goodbye to at least £500 for a decent rebore, pistons, rings, crank re-grind, and so on. And that's before you can think about tuning! At that price a ready-built x-flow from Vulcan starts to look very economical, and you get a warranty.

And for that money, you're a long way towards a bike engine, or an almost new car engine like theToyota 4-AGE (which will give you heaps of power unmodified).

rgds,
David

colibriman

posted on 16/4/05 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
What about a lovely bike engine...

I've got a lovely 2004 Yamaha Fazer 1000 engine (slightly detuned R1).....and it would fit nicely..., the carbs and airbox sit differently to the R1..much lower...

mucho more money though

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
DEAN C.

posted on 16/4/05 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
A good standard Toyota 4age will leave a tuned crossflow standing.
It's just as light,compact and very tuneable.

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

Mr G

posted on 16/4/05 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
An xe will fit under standard bodywork bonnet/nosecone no problem - don't even have to run it without a timing cover of shave the lip off the top cam cover.

Image deleted by owner

No problems with ground clearance & large speed humps/slopes either.

When the the xe was rolling roaded the operator said that the dizzy setup (no vac/ spring not modded) was up to the job for putting out decent horses.

Ok add £15 to make it £30 for a second hand mbe 906 running the original wasted spark vauxhall coilpacks. As it was O/E on the early caterhams running 45's that should be up to the job

Cheers

G

rayward

posted on 16/4/05 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
135BHP Xflow+Type 9 Gearbox+Low Bodywork
David Jenkins

posted on 16/4/05 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Forgot to mention - the Xflow makes a particularly fine noise when booted*... does it for me every time!

David

* Like I did this afternoon when I passed a neighbour and felt like showing off - my engine's running in just nicely

[Edited on 16/4/05 by David Jenkins]

kaymar

posted on 16/4/05 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
thanx for the replys folks, however i must say this thread ought to run and run, intresting to see some of the replies so far dont get me wrong! i am looking for guidance and if time and money were not a problem i wpould go 4age or st 100 pan euro bike engine, however t&£ are a serious restiction.Further more as this is my first build sva and mot and ultimately turning the key and taking the kids for a spin around the cotswolds" and getting back" is my goal, bhp 0-60 etc are not at the fore front, i get that from my 1200 bandit. So my intention if possible in true book form is complete the car for as little £ as poss. I am intigued by the engine combinations and which way to go? theres more mondeo power in the local scrap than pinto theres more pinto than v6 or 4age theres aquite a few mr2 or daihatsu 1.6 most look like my wife!!! trust me you would,nt . keep the info coming please. martin
Simon

posted on 16/4/05 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Rover V8.

Cheap as chips, (I) reckon reasonable consumption with right diff, incredibly strong and very very basic, enough power as standard and shedloads of torque.

My chassis is +4" and apart from the steering column route, it was quite an easy fit. Not so sure about standard width chassis, though know it's been done.

ATB

Simon

gazza285

posted on 16/4/05 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
For time and money go with the crossflow you have. Tried and tested, easy and cheap to fix, cheap to tune and about the size of a small thing that's small.
stevebubs

posted on 17/4/05 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
For time and money go with the crossflow you have. Tried and tested, easy and cheap to fix, cheap to tune and about the size of a small thing that's small.

Agreed. If you then find yourself wanting more power, a transplant's not *that* hard - especially when you can offset the cost by selling your old engine & drivetrain.

cidersurfer

posted on 17/4/05 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Forgot to mention - the Xflow makes a particularly fine noise when booted*... does it for me every time!

I have to agree with the David, the sound of the Xflow at full chat on 40s is a truly excellent motoring experience. Just a pity I broke mine and dropped a VX in

[Edited on 17/4/05 by cidersurfer]

shimming solid lifters is a job for a friend...

Cousin Cleotis

posted on 17/4/05 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
ive just picked up a 2l ecotec out of vectra sri with all ancilaries, 43k miles, £250.

Paul

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.