Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: x-flow low oil pressure
barraw

posted on 16/5/05 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
x-flow low oil pressure

Hi, i have a 1700 xflow. When I bought it ran at about 50psi oil pressure. It now runs at about 38psi - what could cause this drop in oil pressure? It has crank and rocker breather and a 13 row oil cooler. I keep the oil level between half way between max and min. thanks
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Hornet

posted on 17/5/05 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Hi m8

As with my earlier thread, ur pressure seems fine for a normal engine/pump set up. If you have a high pressure pump then i understand ur concern.
Any number of things can cause a drop in pressure.. changing to a different oil, (Not changing it often enough) wear in valve stems, piston rings. etc.
tbh i wouldnt worry unless it continues to drop.

J

barraw

posted on 17/5/05 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I change the oil every few hundred miles, but wondered what oil you would recommend.
I currently use conventional 20w-50w of various brands.

How can I tell whether it's a standard oil pump or high pressure pump? If I post a photo, could you tell from that?

thanks

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
David Jenkins

posted on 17/5/05 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
20W50 is right for a crossflow.

The only difference between a standard pump and a high-pressure one is a slightly stronger spring on the pressure relief valve! You'll never tell the difference without a spring gauge, etc.

David

britishtrident

posted on 17/5/05 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Oil pressure isn't important unless there is a unexplained drop pressure. High pressure pump only differ from standard pumps in that the relief has either a packed up or stronger spring as the relief valve shouldn't be open when the engine is warm it should have no effect durring on normal warm running.

38 psi is more than adequate for an xflo.
The bigest problems with kent engines lubrication is black sludge blocking the oil ways for this reason it pays to use a relatively highl detergent oil. In days when the kent engine was king Duckhams 15w/40 was the preffered oil of choice, as you have an oil cooler Duckhams Q 10w/40 would be my choice -- it also makes for much easier starting as an Xflo with 20w/50 in the sump can be a pig to start on a frosty morning.

However I hope you have an oil thermostat in the cooler plumbing as on a road car an oil cooler without a thermostat is an a engine killer.

[Edited on 17/5/05 by britishtrident]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.