Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: pinto static timing
ayoungman

posted on 18/5/05 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
pinto static timing

I'm about to fit head and put cam belt on my pinto. Whats the easiest way to get all the 'stuff' doing the right thing in the right order ?????

I really don't want to get this bit wrong !!!

"just like that !"

jollygreengiant

posted on 18/5/05 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Piece of cake mate.

Set crankshaft tdc - Large cut in front pulley aligns with notch on cover
Set cam timing (ensure pulley on correct way round) and align pulley backplate timming mark with notch on head.
Fit distributor body into block, then turn distributor body until the body is in a convenient possition for removal and refitting of cap and wirring is free from catching on components. clamp / lock distributor in place. Turn auxiliary pulley wheel until rotor arm aligns with notch on distributor body where cap mounts onto face.
Fit cambelt and tension correctly.
Check camshaft and crankshaft timing marks align. Slacken distributor clamp and adjust body till rotor arm points directly at notch on body. Clamp distributor and fit distributor cap remembering that where the rotor arm is pointing to will be No1 tdc firing position.

Job done start engine and set timing to desired setting with strobe light.

Enjoy.

[Edited on 18/5/05 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

ayoungman

posted on 20/5/05 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Many thanks. I don't have a cam belt cover. Can I just bring No.1 piston to TDC and then hold it there ?

Secondly, Cam shaft timing, can I check this? Rotate cam until both valves are fully closed ?find the mid point of the dwell
Sorry to be a pain. But I don't want to get this wrong !

"just like that !"

DarrenW

posted on 20/5/05 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
For cam timing there is a notch in the pulley that aligns to mark on the head.

I did all this for first time recently using Haynes manual. Not too hard. Would recommend you reading it. (I havent started mine up yet tho so fingers crossed!!)

Ive found the trickiest bit so far is fitting a new different dizzy and trying to work out its orientation - i think ive got mine wrong - vacuum unit may be in wrong position, also not sure where rotor arm should point to align to cyinder 1!

Peteff

posted on 20/5/05 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
As JG says, there's a disc that goes behind the cam pulley which has a pointer you can see between the pulley webs. This lines up with a mark centre punched on the front of the head to line the cam up. The vacuum advance mechanism points down and back (4 o'clock)on the oil filter side on mine and there is a line marked in the distributor body rim to the right of the notch where the cap locates. This should be No1 when the rotor arm lines up with it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

NS Dev

posted on 20/5/05 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ayoungman
Many thanks. I don't have a cam belt cover. Can I just bring No.1 piston to TDC and then hold it there ?

Secondly, Cam shaft timing, can I check this? Rotate cam until both valves are fully closed ?find the mid point of the dwell
Sorry to be a pain. But I don't want to get this wrong !

Thinking along the right lines here!

For a normal setup all the advice given is spot on, but I like the fact that you are thinking a bit more about the cam timing!

Yes, you can check it, you need a dial gauge and I won't go into it now unless you want me to, but the Ford std marks are usually out by a country mile from the "optimum" power setting for the cam timing.

Set it to the std marks as everybody does and it'll be fine, but if you get a vernier pulley you can optimise things a bit more.

ayoungman

posted on 23/5/05 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
job done !

Thanks lads. Job done, looks OK and I've turned engine over by hand and everything seems to be right. Rescued attachment chrome rocker cover 016.jpg
Rescued attachment chrome rocker cover 016.jpg

"just like that !"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.