Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4AGE Zorst rattle?
jmbillings

posted on 19/5/05 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
4AGE Zorst rattle?

Hullo.

We've been trying to track down a rattle/buzz coming from our exhaust system. We have a 4AGE and the raw manifold, along with an MK stainless silencer.
We did find a nut rattling around between the side panel and the interior trim, so this was extractified. Also, one of the downpipes going into the collector was loose so a small blob of weld has been put on... but it still buzzes (at around 3000-4000 rpm).
Anyone else have similar? We are wondering if it is just a characteristic of the engine that at a certain rpm, pulses of exhaust gas cause a resonance in the system. Its odd, because we used to have a home made silencer and exactly the same happened then!

James n Steve.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Kelvin

posted on 19/5/05 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
The only time I get a rattle/buzz from the 4A-GE in my MR2 is when the exhaust hanger is touching the bodywork, apart from that, never. Is it a metallic noise more than a blowing manifold gasket noise?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andy North

posted on 19/5/05 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
My 4AGE has always had a budgie chirping at about 3000rpm. I think it eminates from the alternator belt? The engine never really gets to rev that low so I have yet to do anything about it.
givemethebighammer

posted on 19/5/05 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
My "Wunoff" silencer has a slight rattle at about 3000rpm, but apparently they all do. Something about the perforated tube working slightly loose ?

The sound of the carbs soon drown it out so I don't worry about it

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.