Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fireblade regulater/rectifer
mkblade

posted on 22/5/05 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
fireblade regulater/rectifer

hi all
went to start up mk mk blade to day started ok after a while i saw smoke coming from the above unit . turned off everything .started it up again after a couple of hours but after its been running a 2-3 mins and you try to rev the engine it just cuts out . started again and will idle fine until you rev again then dies.

i unpluged this unit and started again it will run and rev ok ,i thought this was for charging the battery/alternator any suggestions ??
many thanks

Hellfire

posted on 22/5/05 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Again - that is a popular flaw on the blade... it has to be mounted somewhere very cool. They can be upgraded with a better heatsink on (cant recall from where). I'm sure someone on here can recall though.

It does sound like a rectifier problem tho'

colibriman

posted on 22/5/05 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Did i read that right that you ran it without the regulator connected......I thought this was pretty dodgy etc as it doesn't cap the voltage....
correct me if I'm talking poo.........

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 22/5/05 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by colibriman
Did i read that right that you ran it without the regulator connected......I thought this was pretty dodgy etc as it doesn't cap the voltage....
correct me if I'm talking poo.........

I believe you quite right - it cooks the battery, at least it did on my mates XJ600 when his rectifier gave up

Cheers

Mark

Bob C

posted on 22/5/05 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Uhhh? if you unplug the rect/reg you are just running off the battery - which will eventually go flat....
I can believe that in some cases there may be 2 connections (one to alternator & another to 12V) but I can't see why disconnecting either one or both should give a problem.
Bob
PS Physically disconnecting while the engine is running could possibly cause a problem as the inductance of the alternator can generate a very high voltage transient, but I would expect the circuit to be engineered to survive this too.

mkblade

posted on 22/5/05 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
hi guys
i only had it running for a couple of mins with it off ,it will rev and idle fine with it off..

but when i plug it back in after 2 mins try to rev the engine just cuts out ,i did see a modified regulator on ebay for £65.00 plus postage is this about right .??

david cromie

posted on 22/5/05 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
regulator

had same problem. Mounted a thick heatsing and fitted a computer fan to blow cool air, seems to have cured the problem. I also replaced the blade one with a heavy duty one.
ChrisGamlin

posted on 23/5/05 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
An old Athlon CPU heatsink and fan did the trick on my standard reg / rec for best part of 3 years. I was going to also mount it on a decent thickness plate but never got round to it in the end as the heatsink was doing the job fine.

jimgiblett

posted on 23/5/05 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Kit Car workshop do an upgraded one.

link here

David Jenkins

posted on 23/5/05 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
I would mount the unit on a proper finned heatsink, like the ones that Maplins sell. If you slap some heatsink compound between the unit and the heatsink it will also make a huge difference. Both are quite cheap (a few Pounds max).

David

ChrisGamlin

posted on 23/5/05 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Yup, mine had some nice Arctic Silver CPU compound between the flat metal surface and the heatsink from the days when I used to overclock my old PC and it needed all the help it could get

TimC

posted on 23/5/05 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Can you now help with CBR1000 problem?

Similar issue - my CBR1000 engine will not charge the battery - connections all look ok.

How likely is this to be the Rectifier?

Thanks.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.