Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Turning carbs into throttle bodies
Dan J

posted on 5/12/02 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Turning carbs into throttle bodies

Does anyone know where i can get details on turning (Butchering!) a pair of Weber DCOE 40's into throttle bodies?

Any info appreciated

Dan J

Stu16v

posted on 5/12/02 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Dan, I'm looking for the same info myself. I remember a long time ago Car and Car Conversions ran an article on how to do this but I didnt take much notice, and now cant find the issue concerned (sods law). It may be worth getting in contact with them, I havent bothered yet, as I have plenty of other thing to get on with.

Cheers, Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

locodude

posted on 5/12/02 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
There was a guy earlier this year selling a x-flow on TOL which had this conversion. It was done using Dellorto DHLA40's and Astra injectors. The ECU was an emerald unit by Dave Andrews (CCC). I think the article was some time in 1999. If you find out or get a copy please let me know.

B@man

posted on 7/12/02 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Daves Carb Butchering

Somewhere I have the origonal CCC articles on this. I seem to rember that I scanned them into PDF's for some one a while ago. The problem was that the scanned images where about 100Mb so they had to be posted. I'll have a dig about and see if I can find them.

I managed to convert a pair of solex's into throttle bodies, it was a bit a bodge though and I never used them. Sold them to some bloke with a autojumble stand at newark for £20. They hasd cost me about £60 and there was a fuel pump and injector rail with them !

Projects :
Robin Hood S7 - Deceased !
SSC Stylus 16v - Sold
Spartan Zetec conversion
Rickman 2.0 Petrol (New Engine) - Sold
Rickman 1800 TD (ongoing)
TVR 400SE (Nearly a kit ?)

jollygreengiant

posted on 7/12/02 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
personally I'd sell the 40's and put the cash into buying proper throttle bodies. What vehicle do you want to put these onto?
B@man

posted on 11/12/02 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
CCC DIY EFi

If anyone is interested I have found the Car and car conversions mags with Dave Walkers "£6.80 Throttle bodies". If anyone wants a copy I can either send photocopies or scanned images.

Projects :
SSC Stylus 16v - Sold
Spartan Zetec conversion

Stu16v

posted on 11/12/02 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Is it possible you could send me an image/photocopy?
I'm buggered if I can find my copy....

I will send a PM if thats OK. Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

philgregson

posted on 12/12/02 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Would be most interested in a copy if you are scanning it.

I missed it when it first appeared and still haven't seen it.

Cheers

Phil

Findlay234

posted on 12/12/02 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
ditto, i would be very interested in this article if you are going to copy it.

cheers
fin

locodude

posted on 12/12/02 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
me too please!

MattWatson

posted on 14/12/02 at 02:45 AM Reply With Quote
I'd like a copy as well please.

wavindustries@shaw.ca

thanks.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
welshy

posted on 14/12/02 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
If there is one spare can i have a copy please?

welshy@btinternet.com

david walker

posted on 14/12/02 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
I too have found the old copy of CCC with the info.

A couple of points to bear in mind is that my namesake "had most of the bits lying around" to make his £7.80 throttle bodies, and even given that the total cost of the injection system still came to £437.80 and that was back in January '96.

His advice at the time was that you would be as well buying Weber or Lumenition systems off the shelf.

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

Findlay234

posted on 14/12/02 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
yes but i have all the injections stuff already, its an efi engine, i just dont like the single large TB that sticks right out.

cheers

B@man

posted on 15/12/02 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
DIY EFi CCC Style

Jees, I'd I wish I'd kept my mouth shut !, The images are too large to email (total about 100Mb) so If anyone wants a copy of this there will have to be a nominal charge to cover postage and the CD- Media. So if you want a CD sending it's going to cost you £1 ( which is cheap as the CCC back issues cost about £4.00 each ). Anyone who wants one send me either an e-mail or U2U thingy.

If I can dig out any other EFi I'll scan that too.

Projects :
SSC Stylus 16v - Sold
Spartan Zetec conversion

jollygreengiant

posted on 15/12/02 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Findlay234
yes but i have all the injections stuff already, its an efi engine, i just dont like the single large TB that sticks right out.

cheers

Ok so once again what engine is it?

If its a ford pinto then you would need to change the cylinder head as well cos the CARB and EFI heads are significantly different and you can't swap manifolds because you end up with air leaks!.
Efi manifolds are usually of significant size so that they have a significant plenum chamber built into the inlet system to assist breathing. So just cobbling together a home built throttle body and connecting to the original ECU will at best run very poorly cos all the fueling setting will be wrong.
If you just want a smaller manifold then have a look in the archive pics (personal) I know I've seen the solution there - cut the inlet tracts down to size & if necessary turn the plenum chamber round so that the butterfly is at the other end. At least that way the original ECU will be somewhere about right.

johnston

posted on 15/12/02 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
jolly your almost right with the phlenum chamber but there is away round it its just a shock absorber to stop the air pulses affectin the air flow meter

if your goin for trumpts u have to ditch the air flow meter you can replace it with a map sensor that works of the vacuum in the inlet manifold altough there is somethin u need to do if runnin a twin carb idea i.e. not enough vacum but cant remember wot

CairB

posted on 15/12/02 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
There's a photo in the photos section - Cairb - Under Bonnet side view, that shows the Pinto EFI that I cut down and reversed. It's seems to run OK with the standard ECU, I'm getting round to the point of checking whether there are any performance gains to be had from modifying the mapping data.

Anyone else remapped an EECIV?

I cut the unit down to fit under an MK Indy bonnet, which it does, which was nice.

johnston

posted on 15/12/02 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
can the eeciv be remapped????????

jollygreengiant

posted on 15/12/02 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Theory says if it's got a chip in it then it can be remapped, but on a special then it aint cheap. If your running the set up as close to standard as possible then it should be ok without much alteration.
With the pinto you have to be a little bit careful cos the ignition timing affects the injector duration and you can actually set the ignition timing on the injector pulse duration instead of using a timing light!
You can adjust the co not only by the 5mm allen key but also by adjusting the retainer/gear on the spring inside the airflowmeter, but idealy you need the engine running and a co meter.
Also you could up-rate the fuel pressure regulator and the injectors.
If you are lucky you occasionaly come across an Ex-plod mobile that was not returned to original spec when it came of duty (they ARE rechipped but don't know who did them) and OH BOY do they GO. (110 in3rd)

[Edited on 15/12/02 by jollygreengiant]

CairB

posted on 15/12/02 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Johnson,

The link below gives details on a method of modifying the map data, I've not tried it yet though.

http://acc-electronics.com/cloud/efi/amarch/j3adapt.htm

Ex police EECIV's sounds interesting though, anyone got one?

Cheers,

Colin

jollygreengiant

posted on 15/12/02 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Yes but I need mine

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.