Poll: the last post :) [View Results]
July
Aug
Sept
Oct
Nov
Dec
sometime in 2006
they will change accounts to avoid it :)

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: the last post :)
stephen_gusterson

posted on 12/6/05 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
the last post :)

Seems that many on here have a 'size complex' and that post counts have some significance.

They dont. This account is being retired and Im gonna use an old account that was set up a year or so ago. I will be a newbie on a couple of posts

times come to let another take up the biggest post total.

this will have a two fold effect. It will make my posts per day look quite small for quite some time as this is only my 2nd post in over a year

secondly, its gonna put joelP and Peteff in the situation of being top poster shortly.
so.......

when do you think one of them will pass the 6k mark

atb

steve

[Edited on 12/6/05 by stephen_gusterson]

alister667

posted on 12/6/05 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
As you say I don't think it matters how many or few you post. I wouldn't bother retiring the account - I see it as irrelevant.

All the best

Ali

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 13/6/05 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
Has this been brought on by my post?

Anyway, the way Joel's going, with 7 odd posts a day its shouldnt be too long!

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 13/6/05 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
If I contributed in any way to this decision with my post an Adam' thread, it was very much tongue in cheek.

Carry on as you were - IMHO - there's no one can spout more inane drivel than me.
When I try...

colibriman

posted on 13/6/05 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
I think you'd be daft Steve to do that just because of the post amount...If it was to change your user name for more internet privacy...That I would understand.
It's certainly not about numbers..I can see why newer members would be focused on it though.

John..
There are other members that spout EVEN more drivel than you....

seriously though, this is a kind of conversation based site where many posts, just through the nature of it are nonsense, but are relevant to the friendliness of the site........however talking of nonsense posts, there is one member who springs to mind !

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
splitrivet

posted on 13/6/05 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
........however talking of nonsense posts, there is one member who springs to mind !

Hmmm wonder who that could be.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Hellfire

posted on 13/6/05 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
I agree and would welcome removal of posting numbers as it is irrelevant. Changing your name (ID) can't see the point personally.

mookaloid

posted on 13/6/05 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
I think that the number of posts is irrelevant.

I am sure that members gain respect by the quality of their posts. certainly I have gained much useful information from people with both a handful of posts or thousands of posts.

I also guess that the number of posts is in no small part connected to the length of time a person has been a member.

I don't know which post is being referred to above, but I don't believe that anyone should be embarrassed by the number of posts small or large, and if anyone wants to have a competition on posting numbers that's fine also - we have a section for posting rubbish and that can be used for this.

I say keep going Steve. I have not met you, but like many others who post here I feel that we all know each other anyway.

Cheers

Mark

[Edited on 13/6/05 by mookaloid]

andkilde

posted on 13/6/05 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
I say he's going to return as Considerably
andyps

posted on 13/6/05 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Mybe just removing the league table from the front page would help.

I think it is useful to see when someone asks a question as a newcomer, and also there is an element of being more trusting of an experienced person giving advice in response to questions - although I agree with Mark that some newcomers give advice as good as the experienced.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Hellfire

posted on 13/6/05 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andkilde
I say he's going to return as Considerably

You must have read my mind

phelpsa

posted on 13/6/05 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
I recon remove post number, but keep status, ie newbie, junior builder etc.

Adam

steve_gus

posted on 13/6/05 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Nope adam, it wasnt you that made me do it or any single individual.

and I am absolutley NOT considerably. We had all that stuff before. I would quite like to be him, as i recon he has a wit and has done damn well not to be detected even with chrisW's internet tools at hand.

Far to clever internet wise to be me!

It does get a bit grating when some people do make acidic remarks about tosh and hig post counts etc, and its hard not to feel a bit of that. At the end of the day I like it on here and the people. And its added up to 6k posts!

I quite like the idea of retiring the account on a nice round number. It also proves at the same time that i am on here 'for the crack' and to make any helpful comments as I can, and not some ego trip to be highest poster.

As ive said many times, I have never claimed any victories 'wow my 5,000 posts' or ever inferred it was a good thing.

Im still here, just expect to see steve_gus instead of stephen_gusterson.

same place, same time, same bollox

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

zilspeed

posted on 13/6/05 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I'm breaking up here...

John F
Grade A non serious person.

phelpsa

posted on 13/6/05 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Just incase you thought, im not on here just to get posts. I just noticed that I was on 1999! Anyway, I agree, my 2000 has been built up steadily in the same time as JoelPs however many, and I bet that all of Joels posts have been valuable, and so have half of mine

Adam

steve_gus

posted on 13/6/05 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
zilspeed - i will lend you my hanky - just dont use the green bits

adam..... shout your post count as loud as you like in my case i dont see being top poster as a good thing

atb

Just knock off the 's'!

OX

posted on 13/6/05 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
hehe but most of us will still know that even with your new name showing only 11 posts you actually have 6011 not that i give a sh1t or that it even matters
andyps

posted on 13/6/05 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
and I bet that all of Joels posts have been valuable

Can we sell them on eBay then

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

steve_gus

posted on 13/6/05 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Ox - dont spoil the illusion

note i didnt crow about my 10th post milestone

atb

steve

[Edited on 13/6/05 by steve_gus]

Just knock off the 's'!

JoelP

posted on 13/6/05 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
aye, but as a ten a day man steve, you'll be back at the top in 3 years im averaging 7 a day apparently, and pete seems to be the same.

damn thats 8, im off...

actually, 5 years...

[Edited on 13/6/05 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

steve_gus

posted on 13/6/05 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
according to my profile, i only post 0.02 messages a day. thats pretty lean id say.

it would take 300,000 days, which is 821 years.

Id be 867 by then.

I wonder if my car will be finished in 2872?

atb

steve

Just knock off the 's'!

niceperson709

posted on 13/6/05 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
hi Steve, A cute idea to retire your old persona but please you can do better with your avatar the new one is not a patch on the old one , why dont you REALY confuse people and transfer the former avatar to this identity?
best wishes
Iain
Waiting to become just a Senior builder......

Best wishes IAIN
life is not the rehearsal , it's the show so don't sit there thinking about it DO IT NOW
http://iainseven.wordpress.com/

phelpsa

posted on 14/6/05 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

shout your post count as loud as you like

I HAVE 2000 POSTS

richijenkin

posted on 14/6/05 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
To newbies looking at this site, they'd probably think having a 'top posting members' list is a good idea... I mean surely, being in the list by answering so many questions it makes them the "King of kit car builders" and the best people to ask how to do something???

JoelP

posted on 14/6/05 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
not necessarily - if you ask me about how to put a zetec into a kit, i wouldnt have a clue. Post count simple represents how much spare time you have, and how much you enjoy the company around here!

as an example, ive posted many more posts than you, but you are undoubtedly better equiped to answer BEC questions than me.

[Edited on 14/6/05 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.