Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 5th Gear & the Billionaire
David Jenkins

posted on 19/12/02 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
5th Gear & the Billionaire

Can someone help me out with something annoying?

I watched the last 5th Gear and, for a change, it was reasonably entertaining. The 'plot' was that the boss of Phones 4U wanted to spend a half-million Pounds on 4 new cars: a city car, a 'posh' car, a 'fun' car for possible track use, and a supercar. It was probably a setup, and he may not have bought any cars, but it was fairly amusing.

Anyway, my question is: what was the supercar he liked the most? He didn't choose to 'buy' it, mostly because he seemed terrified of it, but he did like it a lot.

I was talking to someone about the programme, but couldn't remember the name of that car!

cheers,

David

Dick Axtell

posted on 19/12/02 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
It sounded like "Zonda", and apparently had one of those D-B racing GT V12 engines!!

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

David Jenkins

posted on 19/12/02 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Dick,

You're a hero!

Pagani Zonda, it was... up to 1000bhp if you pay them enough money.

Thank you...

David

thetankwad

posted on 19/12/02 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
mmm, 1000bhp, rwd, loony stiff suspension, hundreds of thousands of pounds (lira?)worth going into oversteer... im putting a lottery ticket on...
James

posted on 19/12/02 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thetankwad
mmm, 1000bhp, rwd, loony stiff suspension, hundreds of thousands of pounds (lira?)worth going into oversteer... im putting a lottery ticket on...

The Zonda is the one they keep on about on Top Gear. Stig set the lap record in it I think.
Bout £300K I think?

Cheers,
James

I'll stick with my Maclaren F1 any day thank you!

Simon

posted on 19/12/02 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, and the W*******d XTR matched the time with standard Hayabusa engine.

Turbo the 'busa engine, and you'll pee all over Zonda

My two € worth.

ATB

Simon

James

posted on 19/12/02 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
quote:

Or even an MK GTR with the turbo'd Hyabusa- same performance for half the cost!

Cheers,
James

Liam

posted on 19/12/02 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
I made a Zonda the other day with over 1000bhp. Rediculously fast in a straight line but totally undrivable, especially with the realistic simulation tyres. I went for super soft racing tyres, max downforce, full race suspension, and stretched out the gears. That tamed it slightly, you just have to be rather careful with the gas (or turn traction control on - but that's no fun).

Great car.

Liam

P.S. Haven't read the whole thread but I assume you're talking about GT3 on the Playstation 2, right? I mean nobody would make a 1000bhp Zonda in real life would they? Well not and live to tell the tale...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stu16v

posted on 19/12/02 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Why not? Hicost reckons on 400 bhp. In a 'home built' car. Now you cant do that on GT3.....

Dont just build it.....make it!

jollygreengiant

posted on 20/12/02 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
If you want pure HP then it has to be a Napier Sabre as fitted to Hawker Typhoons at the end of WW2 - - - - rated at about 3000hp (24cyl H block sleeve valve unit ---- feel them ponies)
kingr

posted on 23/12/02 at 01:24 AM Reply With Quote
only problem would be that at full chat it would probably do about 20 gallons to the mile, (yes I know there's an equation or whatever, but since no one is realistically gonna put one in their car, I'm not gonna go to the trouble of searching it out. Either way you'd need a fuel tank the size of a cooling tower and fuel tubing the size of sewer pipes.

Kingr

Spyderman

posted on 23/12/02 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
And think of all the exhaust pipes!

It would give the SVA man nightmares trying to measure the decibels!
Mmmm, maybe not such a bad idea!

Terry

Spyderman

Viper

posted on 23/12/02 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
If you want pure HP then it has to be a Napier Sabre as fitted to Hawker Typhoons at the end of WW2 - - - - rated at about 3000hp (24cyl H block sleeve valve unit ---- feel them ponies)

I remember seeing a hot rod (road legal) with a gas turbine driving the rear wheels through a gearbox that geared down the revs , awsome piece of engineering..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Viper

posted on 23/12/02 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
quote:

Cheers,
James [/quote

And the xtr git stuffed by the Radical

Stu16v

posted on 23/12/02 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, the Radical stuffed the XTR time fair and square.
But, but *puts Westy cap on* if the XTR2 could spend the extra 13000 or so pounds in price difference on go faster goodies, I reckon the gap would be closed somewhat. Remember, standard Hyabusa against 1500cc big bore full race Hyabusa circa 250+bhp......
Approximate maths says the XTR2 has 374bhp per tonne, whereas the Radical has 570+ per tonne......
Wonder how a GT1 would fare with this kind of budget thrown at it???

[Edited on 23/12/02 by Stu16v]

Dont just build it.....make it!

Dunc

posted on 24/12/02 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
So liam, how does the locost fair on GT3 then. Do you get choice of V6 4x4 on the tune up section?
MarkD

posted on 25/12/02 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
David,

Just tried to make sense of your footnote/signature:

Das Internet is nicht fuer gefingerclicken und giffengrabben. Ist easy droppenpacket der routers und overloaden der backbone mit der spammen und der me-tooen. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das mausklicken sichtseeren keepen das bandwit-spewin hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das cursorblinken

According to Altavista Translate it means:

The InterNet is not for gefingerclicken and giffengrabben. Is easy droppenpacket routers and overloaden the backbone with the spammen and that ME-tooen. Is not for trades with the dumpkopfen. Mouse-clicked sichtseeren keepen bandwit spewin Hans in pockets must; relaxen and watchen the cursor-flashed

It sounds like a German version of Professor Stanley Unwin....?

Merry Christmas

Mark

David Jenkins

posted on 26/12/02 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote

The sig is not to be taken seriously!

Although several years ago I had some German visitors to my office... one had a sense of humour, the other didn't... the first one tried reading a similar poster for a minute or two, then burst out laughing - he'd been trying to read it as real German!

cheers,

David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.