Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: RX7 enzo
girlzlover12

posted on 7/7/05 at 05:33 AM Reply With Quote
RX7 enzo

What I want to do is take a 93 rx7 and cut apart the frame and shape it more like a ferrari enzo I would make my own body panels out of fiberglass using my own molds. I am new to this kind of project and I was told on rx7club.com that I would be able to get some help here.

Is there anywhere where I can go to for some good information on building the new frame?
Tips and things to keep in mind would also help a lot

ReMan

posted on 7/7/05 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure you've got the right forum here either
Try here?
http://www.kitcarlinks.com/ushomepages3.htm

[Edited on 7/7/05 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Bart Vangampelaere

posted on 7/7/05 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Really depends on what you want to do. If you wish to make it a close replica of the Enzo, you'll need to build a completely new car! The Enzo is mid-engined, and uses a carbon fibre monocoque. The FD (93 RX-7) is front engined (engine behind front axle, also known as front mid engine) and uses a unibody design. Doors are "normal" while Enzo doors are totally different with cut-outs in the roof. You can't start cutting into a unibody design without seriously weakening the structure. Basicly any panel that's not bolted on is there for a reason.
If you want to go ahead, the only route would be building a tube framed car, using the drivetrain from the donor, if at least the engine would fit in the front. If not, you'll need a transaxle etc, meaning hardly anything but the engine would be left from the RX-7...

girlzlover12

posted on 7/7/05 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replies I want to keep the subframe and everything I just want to build a body that looks more like the enzo I dont want it to be a replica but more like a new version of the rx7 I want to keep some of the characteristics of an rx7 but shape it more like the enzo. I guess I would have to widen it a little bit and put longer axels on it so the wheels stick out more I guess I could build it all on the rx7 frame but there would be alot of empty space behind all the body panels thats why I was thinking about building a new frame.

rx7
http://www.mediawars.ne.jp/~rxseven/rx7.htm
Link to some nice pictures of an enzo
http://www.carbodydesign.com/vehicles/ferrari/2003-enzo/2003-enzo.html

[Edited on 7/7/05 by girlzlover12]

ERP

posted on 7/7/05 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
You might want to mockup what your trying to build in photoshop first.

Look at the position of the enzo cabin relative to the wheels and look at the same ratios on the RX-7... If your expecting anything even ballpark similar my guess is you'll be disapointed with a rebody.

Bart Vangampelaere

posted on 8/7/05 at 01:49 AM Reply With Quote
Using only the subframes (they only carry the suspension and engine) seems useless: you could be going for a fully new frame aswell then. You could try to retain the "backbone" of the rx-7, but it's of no structural use. It's there to tie the front and rear together, making the FD a very stiff and rigid car. But most parts bolt on to the unibody.
As stated above: the mid-engine design of the Enzo is so far off that it seems near-impossible to obtain that look.
Why not going widebody FD? A lot easier, and if done right, really cool looking.

girlzlover12

posted on 13/7/05 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
I have already taken that stuff into consideration that is why my backup plan is making a widebody fd. I am not very good with photoshop (I do webpage design for a living I use fireworks haha) I have been doing a lot of research over the last week so far I have decided to make a front bumper that sticks out more and looks more like the enzo bumper it will make the car a little longer too. then making wider fenders shaped more like the enzo ones with larger wheel wells so I can put some 20" wheels on it and instead of using a longer axle I will use wider wheels. A lambo door kit (not one of those cheap ones that only open 45 degrees) a hood that looks more like the enzo hood but I will keep the pop up lights and maybe make the hood open forward.
I havnt decided on what Im doing with the back yet.

kreb

posted on 13/7/05 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not normally a purist, but I think that the FD RX-7 is a bona-fide classic and I hate to see it chopped for any reason. No insult meant (I could say the same thing about myself), but there's a 99.5 percent chance that what you end up with will be ugglier and lower performance than what you started with. If you're hell bent on a project of that nature, take a FC and do it. They're a dime-a dozen. If you succeed, then move up to a better donor. Better yet, build it from scratch. Take a Subaru turbo-4 or H-6, install it in mid engined configuration with a tube frame and custom body. - Or scan e-bay for a while and find someone elses abandoned project and turn it into a success.

When they do the "extreme makeover" they start with something ordinary. They don't start with a supermodel and try to change her into something else!

https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/1966_FiatAbarth_1000SP1.jpg

girlzlover12

posted on 17/7/05 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
at first I was thinking of using a fc because of the lower cost. Right now Im still doing research nothing has been finalized yet
Bart Vangampelaere

posted on 2/8/05 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say scratch build it. An FD is simple too good to be cut up. BTW: If you'd be using an FC, you'd be better of in some other points too. They're cheaper to get, easier to fix, and you can always put an FD engine in if you're car ends up like you want it to be. A S5 FC (TII 200hp) engine can be tuned about as far as an FD can be tuned, so it's not even needed to do so.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.