Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Need some urgent advise please!
robertwa

posted on 12/7/05 at 05:38 AM Reply With Quote
Need some urgent advise please!

Hi guys,
I purchased a 05 yamaha fjr 1300 engine from ebay a couple of days ago. It was a great price I think ($1200) and is one of the few engines that works easily (cheaply) in a LHD car. It is also here in San Diego so I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.
My concern is that I'm new to bike engines and I want to make sure I get all the parts I need ie cdi, rectifier, sensors etc and not leave stuff behind. I don't think I could recognize some of the 'black boxes' for what they are. I haven't a clue what an exup systen is for example or what it looks like..
The ebay reference is 4560069949
To make matters more difficult, the owner who is parting out the bike has little or no english!!!
The ebay description is quite vague but says " Items included with this auction are the components directly connected to the engine such as the computer, started, fuses, batery box, etc. etc." so I guess you could interpret that for what you like.
I normally wouldn't have moved as quick as I did without knowing my stuff, but these engines don't come up often and certainly not on your doorstep.
I think my saving grace might be that the model shares a lot of stuff with the R1 and therefore parts should be available.

He had the shaft drive on ebay as well but it didn't sell, along with the fuel pump.
I might make him an offer on them.
FYI, I am planning a similar setup to this:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=22852

Any advice appreciated!
Thanks
Rob

[Edited on 12/7/05 by robertwa]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 12/7/05 at 05:51 AM Reply With Quote
Off the top of my head -

The full loom (including the bits that go to the handlebars etc)
CDI
Regulator / Rectifier
All sensors that attach to the loom
Airbox
Throttle bodies / carbs
exhaust manifold if youre planning on fabbing your own or need a template
Any relays that attach to the loom
Fuel pump if possible
The clocks / dash if possible
Ignition key / barrel if possible

I expect there are a few more that others will add, but its early and I cant think straight at the mo

Chris

Hellfire

posted on 12/7/05 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
If you want the fuel gauge to work, better get the sender unit too. Trunpets that allow you to fit an upgraded air filter ITG/Pipercross.

Cracking list for so early Chris

ADD

posted on 13/7/05 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Good choice of engine. I have ridden a FJR 1300, very strong engine, felt more potent than my blackbird, the shaft drive made it super smooth and would be easy to maintain. Its got twin exhausts so keep an eye out for twin exup valves. one in each exhaust. If is has them then it will say somewhere on the bike.

Good luck with the build

Adam

[Edited on 13/7/05 by ADD]

sgraber

posted on 13/7/05 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hey. Congrats on buying that engine. I bought an '03 off ebay last year. It had less than 1,000 miles on the odo. I haven't put it into service yet, it's been sitting under a tarp and wrapped in plastic... But it WILL be getting used sometime soon. I'm not going to tell you what I paid for it because you will never talk to me again...

Make sure that it comes with the clutch slave cylinder, the airbox, the ECU, the CDI, the complete uncut wiring harness, the relays (at least for F/I) and even the u-joint to the driveshaft as you might want to use the splined end to fabricate your own driveshaft adapter. If you can wrangle the complete loom, including the sub-loom to the tail section, then you might want to use the entire thing as your main car loom and just extend the wiring! The bike uses twin headlights... Pretty neat.

Mine came with everything except the CDI box and the clutch slave cylinder. For the CDI I purchased a used '01 R1 unit on eBay. I still have not found a used slave cylinder and a new one is $150 at the dealership.

Edit: Check out this website for good info:
http://www.fjr1300.info/index.html

And I forgot to add, you might want the header too. I didn't get one, but I am building a turbo header for mine.

[Edited on 7/13/05 by sgraber]

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.