Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wimp.com...a no no!
donut

posted on 22/7/05 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
wimp.com...a no no!

Jeffers_S13

Sorry about that, it must be a new thing as i have been there loads with no problem. You can get viruses etc just for being on line, you don't always get them from specific websites. Your PC is being 'pinged' all the time, mostly for no bad reason but every now and then it's from computers whic try and get ads on your PC.

I have deleted the post and will not be going back to Wimp.com in future just in case.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeP

posted on 22/7/05 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt it too, I visited that site without problem.

The most common way my kids get these things is clicking the buttons in pop-up ads. Never do that no matter what the message, use the "x" in the upper right hand corner to close the window. Those windows are often fakes that get you to agree to install junk on your pc that can be very hard to remove.

You need to get a system cleaner like "ad-aware" to get rid of them from your registry - otherwise every time to restart they install or re-install themselves.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 22/7/05 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Ive heard the adware has a problem in itself. (Worm??). I useit on works PC but have been advised to use bulletproof instead.

Jeffers_S13

posted on 27/7/05 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
No probs, Ive no idea how I got it, *pretty* sure Ive been to wimp.com before with no ill effects. Im well aware of not pressing any pop ups !

Still trying to get rid of it though...

donut

posted on 27/7/05 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
oooh i feel so guilty I had an annoying programme pop up that i could not get rid of and i had to take out the hard drive and put it on my friends machine and he got rid of it from there. No idea how though. I could ask if you want.

In the meantime, i hope you get it sorted.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

carcentric

posted on 27/7/05 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeP
. . . clicking the buttons in pop-up ads. Never do that no matter what the message, use the "x" in the upper right hand corner to close the window. . . .

Sometimes, the "X" in the upper right is just part of the graphic - clicking it is the same as clicking anywhere else in the window. AFAIK, there are no clues as to which are real windows Close "x" boxes and which are part of the lure.

My solution is to find the pop-up in the windows "tray" at the bottom of my monitor screen, right click that, and select Close.

Actually, I rarely get pop-ups (or other irritants) now that I have XP-sp2, ZoneAlarm, PC-cillin, and run Ad-aware weekly, but if I did, I'd use the "tray" method to close them.

M D "Doc" Nugent
http://www.carcentric.com

Jeffers_S13

posted on 28/7/05 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Dont know if you saw, but the 'hijack this' program has got rid of it now ! think its because I had the restore thing unchecked, see the thread if your interested
donut

posted on 28/7/05 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Phew, what a releif. Glad it's sorted.

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.