Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Single seat, mid engine, road legal BEC ?
Jeffers_S13

posted on 28/7/05 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Single seat, mid engine, road legal BEC ?

How many are there to choose from ? who makes them ? links to websites preferably or just pictures.

Thanks

James

TimC

posted on 28/7/05 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
None that I can think of.

I guess the Edge (F1 lookalike thing) could be fitted with one, but when I spoke to the manufacturer at a show I was not impressed.

Would like to know if there is one....

mackie

posted on 28/7/05 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
You can get street legal Radicals with 'busa power but they aren't single seaters...
There's the Ariel Atom too but also not single seat and it doesn't have a bike engine (although the Honda Type-R motor revs like a bastard and it goes like the proverbial and the gearbox is super sweet)

MikeR

posted on 28/7/05 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
i've looked into this - basically there are none. Someone did convert a formula ford type car (actually a lotus 18 i think) into single seater before SVA came into play.

Its not easy but i'd love to own one and the idea keeps running around me head.

Surrey Dave

posted on 28/7/05 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah.....Sounds like a good project, what are likely to be the main SVA probs , edges?
MikeR

posted on 28/7/05 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
covering the wheels - and making it look decent. Did see one company with a cycle wing that looked like a tyre at stoneleigh.

After that, lights and number plates ...... and making it look decent.

Edges shouldn't be too bad.......

Position with regard to height might also be an issue as single seaters (i'm thinking old lotus from 1960's) are rather low. Raising them up will help get round certain SVA issues but then you've got to "make it look decent".........

please keep in touch, i'd love to see progress.

undecided

posted on 28/7/05 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Old Van Dieman would do the trick and no different to making a 7 SVA proof i would have thought.
Volvorsport

posted on 28/7/05 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Doesnt Stuart taylor offer a Hunnda powered one ?

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

stevebubs

posted on 28/7/05 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
T5 Mission shoud be reasonable easy to make SVAable?

http://www.t5developments.com/

[Edited on 28/7/05 by stevebubs]

TimC

posted on 28/7/05 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
This is what I was talking about

Apparently bike engines pose major problems for SVA due to noise and emissions!

The guy on their stand told me the same... up until that point I was relatively impressed.

Also worth noting that wishbones look like they fell off a Massey Fergusson! (sp?)

MikeR

posted on 28/7/05 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure about the mission.......

you've got the problem of lights and making it look decent. I did think about trying to make them part of the wheel upright - it adds unsprung weight but at least they should be far enough out and potentially high enough up. For the rear i keep thinking of making them into the rear wing or rear wheel uprights again.

Jeffers_S13

posted on 6/8/05 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
I think that edge thing looks awful, its far too big, tall and bulky looking and not very pretty...IMO

Not sure if anyone has old Top Gear (I get given lots of old car mags all the time by a mate, who gets them off his farther in law...) magazines kicking about. Have a sift through your collection and find one that covers the new Cobra (I think) in there there is an article on a GM design project and also a landspeed record of some sort, its based on a belly tank salt flat racer type design. It looks truly gorgeous, again, IMO. A bike engine in something of this shape would go in easy if they can fit a 2.0 'car' engine in. I would say 'relatively' easy bodywork to make, i.e. its a simple shape, no awkward bits and no big flat panels etc me having never done any fibregalssing...the only LOL ! hard bit is the huge long screen not sure how this would be made, short of getting a huge piece of poly carb and putting it over a former, I imaging it would be very noisy and hot in the cab in something like this aswell. Othewise its a really nice shape, some close fitting wheel wings and some slim bumper/light bars to keep SVA man happy etc. Im keen for a scratch design and build project when Ive completed my car and this is this weeks 'pie in the sky' dream, so humour me,

James

Guinness

posted on 6/8/05 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
What about this, single seat, bike engine?

Mental Thing

Ok its missing a wheel, but it looks fast. Trike SVA is a possibility.

Perhaps ditch the complex electro magnetic thing and go for a simple shaft or chain drive and bingo, road rocket.

Mike

Jeffers_S13

posted on 6/8/05 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Holy cow, that guy has some talent looking at some of his work, its flawless. Amazing.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.