Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help needed changing from Pinto to CBR1000
VinceGledhill

posted on 30/7/05 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Help needed changing from Pinto to CBR1000

Hi People.

I'm completely new to the world of Bike engines so please bear with me. I've no problems doing the work and have just got my car through SVA. I do however have a problem with the pinto that's in so that's why I've bought the CBR1000 from Colin.

Please could someone help with the following issues that I can't yet get my head around.

1. Wiring. I've got all the wiring from the donor bike but does anyone have a diagram? As far as I can see, I only need the bits that make the engine run and the alternator work etc. Any tips stripping out the rest?

2. Exhaust. Not a problem fabricating my own using all the parts off the Pinto and Tig welder but what about stainless steel headers. Any idea where I can get them from?

3. Anyone got any build pics of successful gear change linkages. Can't quite get my head around that.

4. Mounting the engine.... Want to make some sort of cage and want to mount it on rubber. Got two cross members at the top as per a mod I found to the chassis on here. Basically two Y pieces instead of the R tube. Tips anyone?

Any other issues you can think of?

Thanks in advance,

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

Peteff

posted on 30/7/05 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Were you the next stop at Renishaw Vince? Colin dropped me a ZX speedo sender off on the way there yesterday. I sometimes fetch metal from Hammer Goodlad at Renishaw.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

dave69isit

posted on 30/7/05 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
help needed

this may be off some use
Guinness

posted on 30/7/05 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Vince, welcome to the madness.

1. Wiring, the bike loom will have a series of safety interlocks which will stop the engine starting under certain conditions. You'll need to either wire these permanantly open or closed, according to the original switches. These are usually a clutch switch, neutral switch and a side stand switch.

2. headers, i bought a set from a breakers (£50), but didn't end up using them. Failing a breakers look on ebay for a set.

3. gear change, i bought a control rod off MNR which is like a really heavy duty clutch cable, but it has m5 rod ends at both ends. One end goes through a bracket to the original gear lever, the other through a bracket to a simple stick on the tunnel.

4. engine mounting i have a flat H in my engine bay that picks up either side rails and the top mounts, the lower mounts are run from the bottom tubes.
1 Cradle
1 Cradle

2 Cradle
2 Cradle

Anything else, you'll need a neutral light, either from the original clocks or a bright 6 unit (or a big green light) so you know when your back in neutral.

HTH Mike

P.S. You'll need a new rev counter, cause that CBR is going to go a lot higher than any car engine!

[Edited on 30/7/05 by Guinness]

VinceGledhill

posted on 30/7/05 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that Mike. Brilliant. Pete, yes I must have been the next one... he did some travelling yesterday.;-)

Dave, thanks for that. I presume that the CBR1000 is similar???

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

Guinness

posted on 30/7/05 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Vince

just noticed that you are an auto electrician. Why not go the whole hog and use a push button shift system? Off the shelf they are about £300, but I'm sure you could rig something cheaper?

See here

Mike

VinceGledhill

posted on 30/7/05 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
I heard about using a couple of Solenoids from a starter motor. One for upshift, one for down. On either side of the gear shifter. Then firing them with either padels or buttons, what do you think?.... anyone done it?

I heard that MK did but was it successful?

Being a proper Yorkshireman (Scotsman with his genorosity removed) I would like to experiment with solenoids from scrappers... Sounds like an interesting experiment... nice winter project me-thinks.

[Edited on 30/7/05 by VinceGledhill]

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

colibriman

posted on 31/7/05 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi fella's...

Good to see you all appreciating my travels...

I'm in Orkney just now...arrived here on Saturday.

tired! I could barely speak when I got to Vince at Leeds..My frazzled brain was shutting down....The M1 was particularly crap (as usual) and finished me off.

Thanks again fella's for your business.

and the cups o tea!

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.