Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine Positioning
Rob James

posted on 17/8/05 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Engine Positioning

I am completing a build based on a book chassis started by someone else.My delema is that I need to put the engine mountings in place (1700 x/f type 9 box) and the guy who started it fitted the box mountings so that the front of the bellhousing is just about level with the bulkhead making the gearlever not on the sloped section of the tunnel but about 4'' into the first flat section....any help guys....cheers Rob
nick205

posted on 17/8/05 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
If you can keep the g/box where it is and still attache/mount the engine then do that. That way the weight distribution will be goo (engine as far back as possible) and the gear lever will be in the most comfortable place (on the flat section)

Got any pics?

Nick

Rob James

posted on 17/8/05 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Nick I will take some pics tonight and post tomorrow. I have some westy x/f mounts which came of e-bay for £2 which I hope to use they look a bit tall allthough I have not offered up the engine yet which i hope to do in the next couple of weeks when I take it off the high stands I am using....Rob
kango

posted on 18/8/05 at 04:05 AM Reply With Quote
I fitted my engine far enough back so that the gear lever is inline with my steering wheel. Needless to say the bell housing is well into my tunnel. After ensuring the gearlever in the middle of the tunnel I moved the engine so it just cleared the upright at the drivers footell. This ment I stole about 60mm x 80 mm of the passengers foot area.
This also made my sidies fit better under the bonnet.

Hornet

posted on 18/8/05 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi rob
I can give you some pics of how to extend ur gearlever to wherever u want (4speed box.. not type 9or n)
Works brill.
Cheers J

kango

posted on 18/8/05 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Moving my engine that far back also meant that my radiator is inside the engine bay and I am using the standard plumbing.

Lets see those pics Hornet as there is nothing in your archive.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.