Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Twin Hyabusa Ultima!!
donut

posted on 31/8/05 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Twin Hyabusa Ultima!!

Check this out if you have not already, a twin engined ultima using 2 Busa engines!!! Mad or what!

images and details at http://www.zcars.org.uk

[Edited on 31/8/05 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ADD

posted on 31/8/05 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Holy crap, 1000hp!!!!
Lotusmark2

posted on 31/8/05 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
I want it, I want it, I want it.
oh and by the way, I WANT IT!!!

David Jenkins

posted on 31/8/05 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
I don't want it - I just know that I'd kill myself eventually...
...but what a way to go out!

DJ

[Edited on 31/8/05 by David Jenkins]

Hellfire

posted on 31/8/05 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
It's the first time I've seen that R1 engined Mini - even that looks brilliant! Those were the days!!

sean951

posted on 31/8/05 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
its about time they put up some performance numbers. ive been looking at the same pics of that thing for months now. they need to go ahead and break some records with it allready. it will probly do 0-100-0 before you can say twin turboed hayabusa powered ultima.
NS Dev

posted on 31/8/05 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
obviously I'm biased on this one (as my mate runs Ultima!) but it is "interesting" to note that the Z-cars Ultima has not yet set any records, or had any mention at all since its "debut" at Autosport this January.

The Allanson's were fairly confident of beating the Ultima factory world records, but nothing has happened since, and Ultima have raised the stakes twice since then, 0 to 100 and back to 0 mph in 9.8 secs is going to be tricky the beat, as is 0-200-0 at bruntingthorpe runway! which was with "only" 640hp.................... and they still have a more powerful chevy waiting in the wings just in case..................and that is still only a carburettored one with "only" 720hp. They still have fuel injection and super/turbo charging to consider should somebody request it!!!!!!!!!

There's also a financial aspect to it, the 640hp chevy was £11,000 in a box from the USA, you won't get two reliable turbo hayabusas for anything like that, try doubling that figure and you'd be closer.

My mate's view on the Z-cars ultima was one of "wait and see". He was interested in how it performed, but could not see the point of the engine installation when it was so complex and yet almost certainly no quicker than their 2wd chevy version.

NS Dev

posted on 31/8/05 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
one last little comment, only a daft one, but since when did K&N rate these air filters to 500hp???????

uklee70

posted on 31/8/05 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hey I was the guy who had the R1 mini in the magazines it was a great little car but a little heavy.

It's now sold for the current build

The ulitma was going through the wiring process with mocal last time I was a the factory. A very complicated process as you can't have the turbos cuting in at any time at the front or back (4wd)as that would make it a very interesting drive!!!!

I know that ulitma would like to keep there record but Z cars are the experts at this type of thing but really it's still an ultima!!!

As for the engines I know they are £20000 a piece!!!!

greggors84

posted on 31/8/05 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by uklee70
As for the engines I know they are £20000 a piece!!!!

Hole shot racing do 550bhp Hyabusa engines for £6000 plus labour of fitting. Have Z cars designed their own turbo conversion for the ultima, obviously it will be a different layout, but the price of the engines seems steep.

Edit: Is reliabilty the key word here? I have a feeling the holeshot busas are for drag racing so will probably be rebuilt after every other run.

[Edited on 31/8/05 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Snuggs

posted on 31/8/05 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote

Hole shot racing do 550bhp Hyabusa engines for £6000 plus labour of fitting.

£6000 does not include the cost of the base engine

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

steve_gus

posted on 31/8/05 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Personally, id rather go out shagging kylie minogue than having a Hyabusa engine down my throat and inch section crumpled into my body........

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I don't want it - I just know that I'd kill myself eventually...
...but what a way to go out!

DJ

[Edited on 31/8/05 by David Jenkins]

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richardR1

posted on 31/8/05 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Was down there last week to pick up a clutch cable for my Indy. Chris is flat out with work and hasn't had much time on the Ultima of late. He is also working on a new 180 x 80 workshop to cope with demand. He has promised to call me when it is first run in anger so we can go along. I know many people wonder why you would go to such extremes but it is being built at a customers request and the customer is always right.
The record attempts will be interesting, but knowing Chris the way I do, it would be a very foolish person to bet against him.

Triton

posted on 31/8/05 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Why though......and don't say because they can because that's not the point ........petrol costs nearly a fiver a gallon and they make that!!!!
About time these so called clever bods who get stupid horse power gave us decent MPG .....

NS Dev

posted on 1/9/05 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
that is another point.

Just to go on some more, the proper Chevy powered ultima is ridiculously quick around a track.

Anybody racing in 750mc kit cars in the days of Lee Noble, Ted Marlow and Bob Light's domination will confirm that.

Without going on for too long, these twin engine 4wd cars are great for pub talk and straight line stuff, but around a track with mo mechanical connection between front and rear drives...................................call me old fashioned but lets see it set some lap records and I'll eat my hat. I see the twin tigers are not exactly rapid in terms of track times!!!!!!!

With their std offering, Ultima have managed to complete something bordering on the impossible, by making a car which can be built from off the shelf mechanical parts, which don't break, and can be had from large easily accessible suppliers, but is also capable of world record setting straight line performance, and has at various points in it's history, held track records at most if not all the club motorsport tracks in the country used by the 750mc. That the same car is reliable and utterly bulletproof when used constantly for trackdays and then can be comfortably driven from LA to New York is no mean feat for such a small company.

Ultima keep their product outwardly simple, in order that it meets it's aims constantly and reliably. Any complication to this generally results in (according to my mate!) two things 1) "unfinished project" or 2) unreliability............................by way of example, take a look at Noble's record on the latter...........................

David Jenkins

posted on 1/9/05 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
About time these so called clever bods who get stupid horse power gave us decent MPG .....

Most well-tuned engines will give excellent mpg - if you can keep your right foot light on the pedal!

But that's not the point of these cars, is it...

David

Rorty

posted on 2/9/05 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Does anybody here know someone within Ultima?

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

NS Dev

posted on 2/9/05 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Was that a serious question or taking the pi55 out of me!!

Yes, my "best" mate from our schooldays runs Ultima with his dad. Richard and Ted Marlow. Based all of 4 miles from my house. Noble are 1 mile down the road in my village as well.

[Edited on 2/9/05 by NS Dev]

Volvorsport

posted on 2/9/05 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
i dont think ultimas have modsports records in the 1150 cc category , i know which car does !!

only joking !! - Have they won the British GT championship !!

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

NS Dev

posted on 2/9/05 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
obviously records are within categories!

The only teams that have run them have not had suitable budgets to run properly competitively in british GT's. Colin Blower did pretty well with his Ultima in british GT's but his budget was struggling to stretch to a gearbox that didn't break every race. (consistently blew Quaife boxes up and budget didn't stretch to a shiny new Hewland at £100,000+)

In terms of lap times he was well on the pace.

Volvorsport

posted on 2/9/05 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
the darrian that won British GT only had an Fg400 - millington diamond , and about 650 kgs , not a bad recipe

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

OX

posted on 2/9/05 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
its mad and i love it and like others,have been waiting to see some good video footage from it ,it might not break any lap records but jesus it would be fun trying
NS Dev

posted on 3/9/05 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
the darrian that won British GT only had an Fg400 - millington diamond , and about 650 kgs , not a bad recipe

................Racing in a different class!

But yes, they did extremely well on a VERY low budget, and hats off to that effort. I think it opened a few people's eyes!!!

Volvorsport

posted on 3/9/05 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
yes, because of our success , the big teams spat their dummys out and made us run at 900 kgs and in GT1 the next year - with only 400hp .

i have to say roy millington wasntcoming up with the goods at that point and allan warbuton at DTA had to do some remapping at croft . we were doing ok at the race , but the intercooler was completey inefficient .

thats where my aerodynamics project came in !!

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

Triton

posted on 4/9/05 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
There is one of those Noble things local to me and to say the driver is a complete cheese biscuit is an understatement!!!.....My Ashtray Estate gets used harder than that so why bother in the first place spending 50k on a car they then drive slower than a 20p special!!!!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.