Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Digi Dash 2 lite
donut

posted on 1/9/05 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Digi Dash 2 lite

Anyone have any idea how much the new Digi Dash 2 LITE is going to be?

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
progers

posted on 1/9/05 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
£395 including all the sensors so I've been told. It even includes a small amount of datalogging.

- Paul

donut

posted on 1/9/05 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Oooooooh, that sounds interesting!! I have been looking into which dash combo to go with and apart from the VDO guages (which are not digi) at £300 the DD2 lite at that price would be well worth getting.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 1/9/05 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
The DD2 lite is indeed an exciting idea. Only snag is if you find you like it a lot and fancy an upgrade i dont think you can just add the extra bits to make it a full DD2 (ETB will confirm).

If it has the basic road functions of the DD2 it will be hard to compete with.

Andy North

posted on 1/9/05 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone have any idea as to when it becomes available?
donut

posted on 1/9/05 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Just spoken to Mac#1 and they should be available probably at the end of the month all being well.

Think i may have to get one as for the money you can't beat it really.

Andy

RoadkillUK

posted on 1/9/05 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone seen these in action?

THESE

I'm considering getting myself one, I know it's a little small but it's not the size of it, it's what you can do with it

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

donut

posted on 1/9/05 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, looked into these and there are a few people on here running them with good results it's just that the DD2 is a compact unit with all the warning lights built in and it looks so damn sexy!

Andy

DarrenW

posted on 2/9/05 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
The veypor unit looks good in principle but in reality it is a little short on usefulness for our type of cars. I opted for spending some more cash on a DD2 for the same reasons highlighted by donut, they are compact, fully featured, plenty of extras for the techno junkies amongst us (im a self confessed one!) and are just damn sexy. Ive got mine fitted with a full set of savage switches. Ive junked all of the Sierra stalks and fitted a Mac#1 polished upper coulumn bearing support and the whole dash area looks so sleek.

The DD2 Lite will look the same as full DD2 but as far as i know wont have the additional datalogger box with 2-axis g sensors. Even so it is a very attractive proposition for a more road orientated machine and unbelievable value when compared to a set of clocks and the lights, sensors etc that will be needed.

I have been in touch with ETB a few times, i have found them to be a very proactive forward thinking company with very good customer service. I offered a couple of suggestions for the DD2 and they took them very positively. They even sent me an advance copy of the DD2 tools software with video overlay - another awesome upgrade. The other point worth making is that the DD2 has good future upgrade potential with its Canbus system. I wonder if they release an anti theft system / gps tracker as an add-on???????

donut

posted on 2/9/05 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Have you got any images of the dd2 in situe and how is it mounted to the dash?

[Edited on 2/9/05 by donut]

Andy

DarrenW

posted on 2/9/05 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
I hope this works.

Sorry about the size - i did resize it but perhaps not quite enough!!! As you can see work in progress. Ive now fitted all of the savages and they are superb. I also have a polished ali upper column bearing thingy to fit when im ready to put the wheel on. Indicators are via toggle switch. Security provided by Toad immobiliser.

[Edited on 2/9/05 by DarrenW] Rescued attachment dash finished.JPG
Rescued attachment dash finished.JPG

donut

posted on 2/9/05 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!!

I have now ordered mine from Mac#1 Should be 5-6 weeks or so.

[Edited on 2/9/05 by donut]

Andy

Mag1caltrev0r

posted on 22/11/05 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Has anybody any experience with the AIM MXL Strada? I noticed that Fluke Motorsport sell them. The Strada (no datalogging) is a similar price to the DD2 Pro, but IMHO it looks nicer.
Sirius

posted on 22/11/05 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know how the dash plugs into its wiring loom? is there a connector on the back or something?

Reason I ask is that its a nice shiney piece of electronics that could easily be stolen if left unattended - would be nice to disconnect it and take it with you in a bag etc.

iank

posted on 22/11/05 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
For the road I quite fancy one of these
http://www.nordskogperformance.net/products/auto/dashpanels/detail/dp10006.htm
but it ain't cheap (£340ish+VAT+shipping), and I'm sure importing it would be a pain.

DarrenW

posted on 22/11/05 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sirius
Does anyone know how the dash plugs into its wiring loom? is there a connector on the back or something?

Reason I ask is that its a nice shiney piece of electronics that could easily be stolen if left unattended - would be nice to disconnect it and take it with you in a bag etc.

The digidash is screwed in from behind. Its not difficult to add a few dabs of bond and seal as well for good measure. To be honest they arent difficult to steal - same goes for most bits on a se7en. There are a couple of plugs that fit in the back with securing screws. The screws could be tightened to make it a little more time consuming for the opportunist thief. Anyone more determined would probs take whole car!

Jasper

posted on 22/11/05 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to put a downer on this thread - but I've owned a Digidash and wouldn't have one again - and I'm not the only one I know who feels like this - I was chatting to two guys at Exeter who have them and don't like them

Don't get me wrong - it's a lovely piece of kit that does everything it says it does, BUT it's hard to read when you're going at speed. About the only useful thing I found on it was the shift lights.....

The fuel gauge on the track as you go around corners goes from 1/2 full to empty and alarms, so you can't see any other readout for 5 secs..... and digital readouts are MUCH harder to read out the corner of your eye that a nice clear analogue gauge that you don't need to be looking straight at to see what it says.

I know it's a good price and a nice looking simple to install bit of kit and others may get on with it really well - but I prefer nice simple analogue gauges that are easy to read and you don't need to spend time cycling through different readout by pressing a button around the steering wheel as you're hurtling down a straight at 120mph......

Just my 2p's .... please ignore or shoot me down at will

[Edited on 22/11/05 by Jasper]

Jasper

posted on 22/11/05 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
For the road I quite fancy one of these
http://www.nordskogperformance.net/products/auto/dashpanels/detail/dp10006.htm
but it ain't cheap (£340ish+VAT+shipping), and I'm sure importing it would be a pain.

For this price I'd rather have the Stack ST700

Sirius

posted on 22/11/05 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
The fuel gauge on the track as you go around corners goes from 1/2 full to empty and alarms, so you can't see any other readout for 5 secs..... and digital readouts are MUCH harder to read out the corner of your eye that a nice clear analogue gauge that you don't need to be looking straight at to see what it says.

I prefer nice simple analogue gauges that are easy to read and you don't need to spend time cycling through different readout by pressing a button around the steering wheel as you're hurtling down a straight at 120mph......

Is the fuel issue not something that would be improved with some baffling? Or could the alarm on that sesor be disabled whilst on track?

I see your point about analogue gauges they are easier to read 'at a glance'.

I have a different view point and that is that when I am on track, I don't normally have time to look at any gauges analogue or otherwise, and more to the point - I really don't care what the oil temperature or pressure is - what I want to know is when the temperature or pressure goes out of my safe tollerance - hence when the alarms come in. This feature has always appealed to me about the digital dashs - they give you the info you need when you need it rather than having to keep an eye on moving needles.

Darren - I think your right with the thet issue - the screws might prevent a random tamperer but anyone else is not going to have much problem with causing mayhem with the car. Probably better controlled with safe parking and not leaving the car out of sight.

2p - Kerplink

Avoneer

posted on 22/11/05 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone emailed ETB and asked for a discount for a group buy on the DD2 Lite?

I'm up for one.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 22/11/05 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
me too

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Avoneer

posted on 23/11/05 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
I'll send them an email tomorrow and see what they can do for a group buy.

Pat...

Avoneer

posted on 23/11/05 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Email sent, so when I get a responce, I'll let you all know.
Thanks,
Pat...

DarrenW

posted on 23/11/05 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Sorry to put a downer on this thread - but I've owned a Digidash and wouldn't have one again - and I'm not the only one I know who feels like this - I was chatting to two guys at Exeter who have them and don't like them

Don't get me wrong - it's a lovely piece of kit that does everything it says it does, BUT it's hard to read when you're going at speed. About the only useful thing I found on it was the shift lights.....

I know it's a good price and a nice looking simple to install bit of kit and others may get on with it really well - but I prefer nice simple analogue gauges that are easy to read and you don't need to spend time cycling through different readout by pressing a button around the steering wheel as you're hurtling down a straight at 120mph......

Just my 2p's .... please ignore or shoot me down at will

No need to shoot you down. Very interesting insight into living with one. Was yours the DD1? Ill be checking the configurables myself now to see if fuel level alrm can be disabled (i think i just have to program 0% into the relevant box to switch it off). It will still show the level but wont override the red display. Im also hoping my baffled tank will reduce this happening.
Ive mounted mine if front of wheel so all displays are dead ahead and not to the side as tended to be the case with DD1. Im a self confessed techno junkie - hence going electronic.
The one problem i did see with DD2, albeit very minor is that with ignition off the display is off. Hazards on = no tell tale warning light. Ive got round this by linking the savage switch illumination to the ignition feed via diode so it flashes red with ign off.

Avoneer

posted on 23/11/05 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
See here if you really want one for a very good price:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=34890&page=1#pid286519

Pat...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.