Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Granada/Scorpio
davimora

posted on 15/1/03 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Granada/Scorpio

Hi!

i'm planning to build a mc sorley +4 chassis, and i still be in doubt about the donor.
More or less the cost of a Sierra and a Granada it's the same, at least in my country.
For what i know the Granda is very similar to Sierra, somebody (Stephen Gusterson? ) can tell me the differences? I'm worry expecially about the axle.
I'm interested on the rear disc brakes and in the abs, if make sense in a 7-like car...

Any comment?

stephen_gusterson

posted on 15/1/03 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
hi.

Im not an expert in the differences - but am armed with a haynes manual for both cars and the bits from an 87 e granada!

To my knowledge, the sierra and granada look to use nearly identical running gear.

The front hubs seem to differ in that they use 5 studs to hold the wheels on, not four as per sierra, and have attatchments for abs sensors in the hubs.

The rear suspension uses the same approach, with the big U shaped tube with the diff and arms mounted from it. The rear brakes on a granny are disks, not hubs as per most sierras. As far as I can see in pictures, the diff is the same - however, the drive shaft joints are different - bit metal 'pot' type things with inner cages and ball bearings - sierras use Y shaped CV looking things. I am pretty sure the shafts are a different length, and the way the CV joints mount to the output shafts of the diff are not the same. Sierra has splined holes, the granny has flanges with 6 torx bolts holding the cv joints on. These 6 bolts are bastards. They get so jammed up that the t40 torx cant cope and they shatter. Went throu 3 torx drive bits from halfords before i got em all off - and one i had to grind the head off.

my pics might show what the diff and joints look like, and im sure there is at least one pic of the hubs modded.

take a look in the piccy section.

atb

steve

btw

there is a thread elsewhere - quite a long one - about using abs from the granada. I have. Its not a complex system. The biggest hassle is fitting the master cylinfder block. Its really big and long. I mounted it on the passenger side (!) with a 90 degree crank and pushrods. You can see this in my pics. the abs computer is fairly easy to mount with the loom - it comes away from the granada loom on a couple connectors. there is basically a power feed, a relay or two, four coax lines to the abs sensors, and about 5 - 6 plugs to the abs valve block. I mounted the computer under the dash on the passenger side - next to the efi for the v6 motor.

[Edited on 15/1/03 by stephen_gusterson]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.