Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: tyre pressures for BEC
smart51

posted on 11/9/05 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
tyre pressures for BEC

What tyre pressures should I use for a BEC. I expect the weight to be a little less than 450kg.
I have 195/50R15 tyres and they are currently pumped up to 2.0 bar. This is beacuse the same tyres on my Smart ForTwo are recomended at 2.0 bar. I guess that the lighter BEC may want less, but how much?

JoelP

posted on 11/9/05 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
experiment, its down to personal taste and driving style. Typically between 16 and 20 psi though. Some people run full pressure though. tyre compound will affect it too.

[Edited on 11/9/05 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

andy d (rizla)

posted on 11/9/05 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
on the road 20psi on a track i found 15psi the best

thats with 195 55 15

[Edited on 11/9/05 by andy d (rizla)]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr loo

posted on 11/9/05 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
around 18 psi as a starting point.

cheers
Ian

smart51

posted on 11/9/05 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
I think that there is 14.5 PSI in 1.0 Bar. 15/16 PSI is really low 20PSI is only 1.4 bar. I guess that a BEC is much lighter than a production car.
shortie

posted on 11/9/05 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
I run 16psi all round
andy d (rizla)

posted on 11/9/05 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
if you run above 20psi a bec becomes very skittish
15-18psi improves everything ahundred persent,and tyre wear is even

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 11/9/05 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
I run yoko 048's, they recommend that the optimum pressure is 21psi when up too temp.

On the road i would guess around 18/19 as a starting point.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 11/9/05 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed, Ive never used over 20psi in mine (185/60-13" ), i usually aim for around 18psi hot when on track, and usually run 18-20psi on the road.
However, lower profile tyre often need to run higher pressures to keep the rim away from the tarmac!

[Edited on 11/9/05 by ChrisGamlin]

colibriman

posted on 11/9/05 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
im running 048's too and found 21psi was too hard...
I've settled(for now) on 16 all round when cold..

what compound you on Jon? medium?

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Jon Ison

posted on 11/9/05 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
yup, medium, getting tyre info of other runners is like pulling hens teeth, there a great bunch but tyre pressures, everyone as one of them guards round there gauge that you see on credit card pin number thingys,

i have run 16 but found higher pressures better, what sort of pick do you get, if i start at 16 i would struggle too get up too 20, maybe on the left rear but no where else,

George polley recommended too me 21 when hot but thats a max. Thats not start of race 21psi but 21psi when you come off.

The optimum way to get your pressures correct is trye temp across its width after a hard session, needless too say a even temp = correct pressure, hot in middle too high, on edges too low.

are we good enough during testing too increase/decrease 1 psi and then drive exactly the same too see if there is a difference, maybe not?

p.s. ZX12, i here youve one coming in, deal on a blackbird or do i sell that on ?

[Edited on 11/9/05 by Jon Ison]

colibriman

posted on 12/9/05 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
my trouble is, doing sprints they only start to bite after first couple o laps..then its over normally after the 3rd..
so my medium compounds aint getting warm enough...they have brought out a soft compound since i bought mine...

I certainly aint good enough to notice 1 psi of difference, first time today ever driven it in the wet....I was spinning like a good un...went over the line backwards..

mine are usually up to around 18psi after a sprint run,

edit ; just give me a call and we'll have a gab...collecting it this week fuel protests permitting...

[Edited on 12/9/05 by colibriman]

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.