Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Considering locost build in the future
tomkidd

posted on 12/9/05 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Considering locost build in the future

Hi people. Im sure this question comes up ALOt so sorry if I am covering old ground.

Im considering building a locost, but was wondering about which kit to chose seeing as thought there are quite a few different versions.

Are the motorbike engine kits worth a look in? Im asuming a locoblade is based on a fireblade?

Ive built and retored a mini before so I am mechanically capable.

Ive seen the GTS kit which I like the look of. I think Adz h who comes on here who is a relative (almost) has built a GTS kit. Ultimately I'd like it to look like this (which I know isnt a locost, but Ive seen quite a few rough looking locosts.

So, all Im thinking is, what are the options? Im not looking to spend loads either! ha ha Rescued attachment 44863-4.jpg
Rescued attachment 44863-4.jpg

smart51

posted on 12/9/05 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
look at the MNR VortX http://www.mnrltd.co.uk/
It is a very nice car.

colibriman

posted on 12/9/05 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
there's a show on this weekend at Brands Hatch...try to make it and you'll get to see all the manufacturers and their kits...well worth seeing all of them to compare..

bike engined cars are magic fun...and if you want an engine....give me a shout..

cheers
Colin

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 12/9/05 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
I would say that an important factor is where you are in the country and buy from someone who is very local to you as you are bound to want to pop in for bits and pieces as your build progresses.

the postage on parts if you live a long way away can be expensive.

Cheers

Mark

Hellfire

posted on 12/9/05 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the Madhouse Mr tomkidd. Like others above have already said, get to a show and have a look at the quality of the kits that are on offer.

If you are deliberating whether to go bike or car engine, try and get a ride in both and then go looking for that bike engine

Like Mark says, an important factor is location.

Have a read of our Build/Rebuild diary. It will give you some idea of how an MK goes together.

Disclaimer: Other kits are available (I think)

SeaBass

posted on 12/9/05 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomkidd
Im considering building a locost, but was wondering about which kit to chose

which I know isnt a locost, but Ive seen quite a few rough looking locosts.

You seem to be a little confused... The more of the car you manufacture the closer you get to the Locost ideal... From you comments you want to assemble a kit car.

With regards your "rough locosts" comments, I've seen plenty of people spend large sums of money to build rough looking cars from comprehensive kits.

At the end of the day the car you build will be a rolling reflection of your attitude, skills and effort.

Cheers

piddy

posted on 12/9/05 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
There are so many options, some like what others don’t and vice versa.
Get your self to one of the big kit car shows camp over the weekend and have a good look around the owner’s stands and the manufacturer’s stands. You'll soon have a short list then price each of these up.

tomkidd

posted on 13/9/05 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
cheers guys.

As a designer, (I know I'll probably get slated for this) one of the main factors is how it looks. It has to be spot on. Are body panles from more expensive 7s able to be fitted to the locosts?

I went to stoneleigh years ago, but I think I'd like to go there again.

I live in Preston lancashire

DarrenW

posted on 13/9/05 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Im building a Mac#1 ZR (car engined). They do a very nice 9R (bike engined). Definitely worth a look. Mine is going together very well and service from Mac#1 is very good (read comments in Mac#1 section).

Being in Lancashire i would suggest arranging a round trip to a few manufacturers. I visitted MK, Mac#1 and MNR in the same day. The final choice was tough.

Be realistic with budget. You can buy a kit for less than 2 grand but it is difficult to compare all o fthe manufacturers bumf and decide what you are getting. Some list more bits included and hence a higher price. Few people complete a very nice looking car (Kit that is) for less than 6 grand. Of course this is usually spread out over 18 months so it doesnt feel like that much. Also to make it even harder to choose some manufacturers products require substantial fettling and head scratching or indeed delays in delivery- is that what you want???

Above all enjoy the selection process and make sure you are 110% happy with final decision - you will have to live with it.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.