Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help! clutch slipping?
Humbug

posted on 20/9/05 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Help! clutch slipping?

Just took my car on its first outing - c. half a mile to the local MOT place - and the clutch is doing odd things.

Symptoms are that when you accelerate, then clutch to go into the next gear and release the clutch, it takes a couple of seconds to actually re-engage the gear, so it revs then settles down again. It seems to pull ok when settled, so I think the clutch itself is doing the job. I got someone to look at the release fork etc. when I was pumping the pedal and it seems to return OK, and I have fitted a spring to help it return anyway. I did grease the clutch bearing, etc. before fitting, as recommended.

Any suggestions, preferably ones that don't involve taking the engine out?!

Rover 1.4 K-series
Type 9 gearbox with Fisher bellhousing
New clutch
New clutch cable

Cheers

colibriman

posted on 20/9/05 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
sounds like the clutch cable is only returning slowly....check in case its kinked etc..

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 20/9/05 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
yup, was going to say you had a hydraulic clutch and small bore pipe to the slave, but seeing as it's cable, then yes, sounds kinked.
rusty nuts

posted on 20/9/05 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Have to agree with sticking cable or it could be over adjusted if you have a pedal stop fitted? should be approx 2/3mm clearance at lever end
Humbug

posted on 22/9/05 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have checked the cable and I think it is OK... however, driving home last night (in tin top) I had a thought - the bit point of the clutch is very close to the top of the travel of the pedal so I was thinking maybe the problem is that when I push the pedal right donw it is pulling the clutch so far away apart that it sticks a little, then takes a while to ease itself back down - would that make sense?

So I think I could try either or both of:

- put a bolt through the bulkhead to act as a pedal stop

- move the clutch cable connection on the pedal closer to the centre of the pedal pivot - that way, a given movement of the pedal would not pull the cable so far.

Thoughts?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.