Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alhambra service and cambelt - £520 ???
craig1410

posted on 23/9/05 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
I can't speak for Skoda's but the Seat's that I have seen have many of the same interior parts as the VW/Audi equivalents and the bodywork is of equivalent quality. To be honest I would say that your comments may have been true 5 years ago but Seat (and probably Skoda too) have come a long way in the last few years in terms of quality and in my opinion the only reason for the difference in price is branding and image which do not interest me in the slightest. In fact I prefer the sportier image of the Seat compared to the VW or Audi. Having said that, I couldn't see myself buying a Skoda because someone might mistake me for a Taxi...

Oh and by the way, the last time I looked at residuals, the SEAT Alhambra had the highest residuals in its class - higher than the Sharan or Galaxy too!

Cheers,
Craig.

[Edited on 23/9/2005 by craig1410]

britishtrident

posted on 23/9/05 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
snip

Oh and by the way, the last time I looked at residuals, the SEAT Alhambra had the highest residuals in its class - higher than the Sharan or Galaxy too!

Cheers,
Craig.

[Edited on 23/9/2005 by craig1410]

Only because it starts out cheaper than the almost identical Sharan/Galaxy which are built on the same production line a drop of 62+% off the purchase price in 3 years is hardly good. The Sharan (and more so the Galaxy) don't have great reputations either but they don't have that much serious competition. All the car companies I can remember that have set up car plants in Spain has had a tough time getting decent quality off the end of the line.

Gav

posted on 23/9/05 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah say that perhaps the longevity of seats of the last generation may be questionable but if you were plonked in a 2000+ seat leon then a golf you'd be hard pressed tell the difference (as long as the marques badge was removed from the steering wheel ) also after inspection of a few high end audi's in the company car park the leather seats are one and the same.
Still im happy i paid less than for the equivilent golf

speed8

posted on 24/9/05 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
Is it just me or is a cambelt change at 40k a bit early. Is that normal for diesels, petrols are usually about 72k or 60k at the earliest. What's the difference?

Some of these prices are astounding, if I was chopping in the tvr for a normal car I'd be tempted to keep it.

britishtrident

posted on 24/9/05 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Hondas are only changed at at 96K
davidwag

posted on 24/9/05 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Some of the belts on later ford zetec engines are changed at 100,000 miles.

As for the cost of replacing the belt on the alhambra you've answered your own question, because you can't even see where it is!!, it's a B***ard of a job.

£520 for a service and cambelt at a main agent sounds like a good deal to me.

David

craig1410

posted on 26/9/05 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Only because it starts out cheaper than the almost identical Sharan/Galaxy which are built on the same production line a drop of 62+% off the purchase price in 3 years is hardly good.

I didn't comment on the 62% figure earlier because I read it the wrong way around. By the figures I have, the Alhambra RETAINS just under 62% of its value after 3 years. When my car was bought by the original owner it cost £18500 (discounted from the RRP of £20595). I bought it in May 2004 with 17800 miles on the clock for £14650 with FDSH and in literally showroom condition. It is now worth £11445 according to Parkers.co.uk (private sale) so is now worth 56% of RRP or 62% of original purchase price which I think is pretty damn good!

Compare this with the VW Sharan and you get £11120/22275 = 49% or the Galaxy which is 11770/22740 = 51% and you may get an idea of why I went with the Seat! Also, the Galaxy has a design flaw which causes electrical fires every now and then whereas the Seat uses the VW wiring loom and isn't affected.

Read reviews on the parkers.co.uk or topgear websites (amongst others) and you will see a trend which highlights the Seat as having the same quality as the VW but with better equipment, better handling, better value and better residuals. 'nuff said!

Cheers,
Craig.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.