Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: stiffy !! Oooh er mrs!!
donut

posted on 30/9/05 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
stiffy !! Oooh er mrs!!

Ok, i tightened up the big hub bolt on my car today with a torque wrench set at 190lb ft. I tightened it us as much as i was physically able and the torque did not crack. After this it was very hard to spin the rear disc. The disc was not binding on the pads. We put a wheel on the hub and it was easier to turn but still stiff...ish. The barings are new and as far as i saw, fitted squarly and properly using the correct tool for the job.

Is this normal and will it free up after the barings have had a chance to bed in?

Cheers

[Edited on 30/9/05 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 30/9/05 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
My money is on knackered torque wrench

donut

posted on 30/9/05 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
It is a bit old.... like me!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave1888

posted on 30/9/05 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
I have the same problem with the front hubs I assembled them according to the manual and they are very stiff and i dont think they are over torqued, or maybe im just a big brute
desyboy

posted on 30/9/05 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
how many grease seals did you fit each side at the front?
SJC

posted on 30/9/05 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
seals

I fitted one on the front and two on the rear mine when i assembled them..

Why is that???

I think as long a the torque wrench was good, it should be fine. It is always a good idea to slowely turn the hub as you are torqueing it so it puts equal pressure on each point and then everything will be square and tightened together. Bit like torqueing a head down, spereads the load equally.

[Edited on 30/9/05 by SJC]

[Edited on 30/9/05 by SJC]

donut

posted on 30/9/05 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
But what about the back????

Andy

SJC

posted on 30/9/05 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Same applies, if you turn it slowely it will centerlise everything.

If it is all new and you have not damaged them whilst putting them in, i am sure it is fine.

donut

posted on 30/9/05 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
phew.....lets hope so!!

Andy

sturead77

posted on 30/9/05 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Stiffys

I had exactly the same problem on my Indy when i built up the rear end. I duly stripped it all back down to check that I hadn't damaged anything but nothing was a miss. I am assured by a guy who races ford track cars that it is a common problem and that it will bed itself in after a few mile. Hope he's right...
donut

posted on 30/9/05 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Fantastic, the last thing i want to do is strip it all down again!!

Andy

NS Dev

posted on 1/10/05 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
my hubs are exactly the same.

On the cossie rally cars we used to have the same thing too. After one stage they are running nice and free.

The torque on the nut makes no difference to the bearings, overtightening wont affect them. The torque is just to put some strain on that massive thread to keep it tight!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.