Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: No luck selling my car - any ideas?
scoobyis2cool

posted on 4/10/05 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
No luck selling my car - any ideas?

I've currently got my car advertised in quite a few free places but apart from one bloke I haven't had any interest. I think I may have to splash out and actually spend a few quid advertising in places that aren't free, where would be the best place to do this? I was thinking along the lines of Which Kit? magazine etc.

Cheers,

Pete

PS If anyone is interested, check out www.mkindy.co.nr

[Edited on 4/10/05 by scoobyis2cool]

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 4/10/05 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
i'm not casting judgement, but is it possible it's over priced? i know they cost a lot to build but do they hold the value that well?

its prob not the best time of year to be selling and you will prob get better coverage in one of the kit mags or at a show with a big for sale board on it.

just my 2p but good luck with the sale.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scoobyis2cool

posted on 4/10/05 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
I know what you mean about the price, I'm willing to accept offers, it just seems a shame that it cost me that much to build, plus a year of hard graft, and I can't even get my money back

I also take your point about time of year, but I won't be around in the spring, although I suppose I could get my dad to sell it for me.

Any ideas on a more tempting (and sensible ) price for buyers?

Pete

[Edited on 4/10/05 by scoobyis2cool]

britishtrident

posted on 4/10/05 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Think you might be right Ned seems a bit much for a Pinto especially given the time of year -- MKs may be be very good chassis but they haven't found a market yet, and Westie prices were holding seem to be falling.
MikeR

posted on 4/10/05 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
obvious answer, the car is worth what someone will pay.

I'd make it more clear that the car is only a year old and the reason for selling - some people will think whats wrong with it? you've put all this cash and time into building it to sell it.

what have other MK's gone for?

Perhaps don't over sell the engine - 110bhp isn't a lot in these cars, just leave the performance figures in.

Jasper

posted on 4/10/05 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
I was trying to sell my BEC with ZX9, digidash, lots of carbon, Willwood brakes, immobiliser etc ect etc, and had no takers at £5500. Luckily I crashed it and got more for it from the insurers.

There has been a lot of MK Indy's for sale lately, and you just have to think how many people are out there willing to buy one and in October and with a basic (sorry!) engine. I would think if you got £5k for it you'd be doing very well.

Just my 2p's.....

KitCarMart

posted on 4/10/05 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
www.kitcarmart.co.uk

http://www.kitcarmart.co.uk
TimC

posted on 4/10/05 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Want to start a new club?

I'd join.

Taking my car to Donny with For Sale all over the thing!

scoobyis2cool

posted on 4/10/05 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, looks like I'm going to have to drop the price then

Taking it to some tracks/shows would be good but I haven't got the time - I'm off to Australia soon so am busy organising that at the moment.

Pete

zilspeed

posted on 4/10/05 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hate to be the bearer of bad new, but that's just the way it is with kit cars.

I have all of the documentation for my GTM,right from first enquiry to the factory. The original owner paid just short of ten grand for it as a factory built car. It changed hands for a good deal less onto the second owner, and I as the third owner paid £1800. I reckon it's levelled out now.
Sorry about that, but getting your money back - even forgetting all of the hard graft - is not very likely at all.

Avoneer

posted on 4/10/05 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried Pistonheads?

Mine cost over £8 in bits.

Wanted £6.

Got £4.5.

Just the way the market is at the moment - not many want Pinto's anymore.

Pap I know.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Hellfire

posted on 4/10/05 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Jesus Pat. If i'd known you were gonna sell it for that much I'd have given you a whole fiver for it.................

scoobyis2cool

posted on 4/10/05 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I've got an ad on pistonheads at the moment, I'll see if I can edit it to change the price...

Pete

NS Dev

posted on 4/10/05 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
you can't win when it comes to selling these cars!

£6500 may seem on the pricey side, but then (at risk of offending people now!) you don't get much for less than £5500.

We sold a westy last year for £5500 and it was not very well built, had a shed of a pinto in it (90hp absolute best) and no decent seats, std belts, i.e. generally basic car that had been built from the old westy budget "all in" kit.

I would say yours can't really be worth less than £6000 but at this time of year is probably going to be tricky to sell at all to be honest.

JoelP

posted on 4/10/05 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
these cars are enthusiast cars. Part of the fun is building it. The prospect of just buying it and driving it now and again isnt very attractive, the fun with a kit is building it, cos thats a major achievement.

I paid £2k for my locost, which is very cheap compared to professional cars.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 4/10/05 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
these cars are enthusiast cars. Part of the fun is building it. The prospect of just buying it and driving it now and again isnt very attractive, the fun with a kit is building it, cos thats a major achievement.

But on the other hand there must be some people who want to drive a car like this but don't want to spend a year putting it together.

Pete

MikeR

posted on 4/10/05 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
a year, a year ............ bloody hell, who said a year????

mine should be paying me by now then !!!!!!!!!

JoelP

posted on 4/10/05 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scoobyis2cool
But on the other hand there must be some people who want to drive a car like this but don't want to spend a year putting it together.

Pete

undoubtedly, but no one will be eager to buy a car that seems hard to sell - hence the price must be a bargain (maybe even a future proof bargain, ie no more loss in 6 months). Hence no offers. Put it on ebay and it'll proably get 4k, which is basically a bargain, but thats what the buyer will want.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

ned

posted on 4/10/05 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
i might suggest without predujice that someone looking to buy a completed car may be sucked into what they read and not having had rides in many or perhaps any cars will be wanting one with a zetec or other 16v engine for performance or probably pub talk reasons.

also people who see kits advertised for £2k as a deluxe kit don't appreciate what it costs to actually put the car together and get it correctly registered etc.

all imho

Ned.

[Edited on 4/10/05 by ned]

NS Dev

posted on 4/10/05 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
hit the nail on the head - Ned!
Rorty

posted on 5/10/05 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
scoobyis2cool, I vote you stack it and if you survive, hopefully your insurance will make it all worthwhile.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

scoobyis2cool

posted on 5/10/05 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rorty
scoobyis2cool, I vote you stack it and if you survive, hopefully your insurance will make it all worthwhile.

Haha thanks for that bit of advice. Maybe I could put a brick on the accelerator and send it into a ditch, then rub some mud on my face and lie next to it looking confused

Pete

ned

posted on 5/10/05 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
have you seen this st locoblade:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=32260

may help give a guide..

Arthur Dent

posted on 5/10/05 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
How is it registered? If I could import it into to Canada as a 15+ year old car I'd be interested.

'The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.' Douglas Adams

scoobyis2cool

posted on 5/10/05 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthur Dent
How is it registered? If I could import it into to Canada as a 15+ year old car I'd be interested.

It's registered on an E plate but the date of manufacture is down as last year. I don't know how that would work with importing it, I guess it would depend on Canadian laws. If you decide it is something you'd be interested in then let me know, email is probably the best way.

Cheers,

Pete

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.