Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: which kit should we buy? help please
enid66

posted on 5/10/05 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
which kit should we buy? help please

hi, just found this forum and im pretty chuffed with myself.

now, down to business.

me and 2 guys are getting ourselves to the show at donington. we will have a fist full of cash and want to know which kit to buy.

any tips or guidance will be gratefully received as we are first timers to this.

how much we looking at in total (not just to buy the original kit)?

how long to build it?

how much of an emergency cash fund will we need?

who has best customer service and help desk?

we are after a quality kit? tiger or robin hood, or luego ?

what engine do we want (remember its our first one so we dont need 500bhp!!!

ta

enid

mac1ZR

posted on 5/10/05 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
hi, don't think mac#1 are going to donnington but their customer service and products are first class.give them a visit in sheffield?
richardR1

posted on 5/10/05 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
There are a number of good options around to choose from. Lots of good reports about Mac1 and MNR in particular but I would have to give my vote to MK. I am just finishing my build of an MK Indy with an injected R1 engine and from a novice's perspective I have found it a very straightforward and rewarding build. The guys at MK are very helpful and the Saturday morning get togethers are great.

Try and see as many as you can at the show and speak to the people who have built them for an honest opinion.

MK Owners Club Member 1015

JoelP

posted on 5/10/05 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
i would strongly recommend not putting down a deposit at the show, i would spend more time visiting a shortlist of manufacturers and then decide after you have talked to them all. My own personal shortlist would be MK, MNR, mac1 and luego but would not include robin hood or tiger.

Its easier if you pick someone close to you, but not every one does that.

Expect to spend between 4 and 8k depending on spec and how carried away you get.

And dont expect to get your money back if you sell it!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Messenjah

posted on 5/10/05 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
you have a u2u
shortie

posted on 5/10/05 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Like most have said MAC1, MNR, MK and Luego.

Don't neccessarily be tempted to part with your money at Donnington, as has already been mentioned select your shortlist and visit each at their workshop and have a good chat.

By the end of that I reckon you will be in a position to part with some cash.

HTH,
Rich.

enid66

posted on 5/10/05 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the tips so far, keep em coming.

cant wait to get stuck into this.

just one thought? why are you all saying dont part with cash at the show?

most manufacturers i have spoken with so far talk of "great deals" to be had at the show?????

ta

(sorry, noob speak here. whats a u2u?)

[Edited on 5/10/05 by enid66]

JoelP

posted on 5/10/05 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
great deals come and go, note down the deal, and when you pick one, just demand that deal whenever you decide to order. It was only ever a ploy to get sales. If they dont comply, go elsewhere. Dont let them know you've decided on them already!

colibriman

posted on 5/10/05 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
As said previously, don't take your money with you..a slick sales pitch (one in particular I know of) could part you from your cash and you could regret it for a long time. it's a buyers market, you have the money so spend it wisely, whoever you choose you will have to deal with for a long time.

I have built an MK (not sva'd yet), in alphabetical order MAC1, MK and MNR are at the top of the popularity tree for quality and good service.
Tiger's fibreglass has a bad reputation and Robin Hood is regarded as generally poor quality.

Engine wise, do you want a car engine or a bike engine? - relaxed torquey power or frentic, addictive, higher revving power.....

Hope this helps
Colin

edit : u2u is a private message to another forum member, u2u button is on the bottom of each post you make.

[Edited on 5/10/05 by colibriman]

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cryoman1965

posted on 6/10/05 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
MAC 1,MK, MNR. I spent a year looking and went to 4 shows before i made up my mind. Don,t part with your money till you are certain on the car u want. I personally chose MK, but the others seem just as popular with other builders. Its a tough decision.
serendipity123

posted on 6/10/05 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
with all due respect, and i no longer own a robin hood . but the company has just been taken over and as a road going kit not a racing one they are cheaper to build as you basiclly do it all from the donor they arnt that bad, no doubt most of the guys on here havent owned one and just say there crap without any knowledge of them. . . . take a look all kits have there good and bad points. personally my project for next year will be a bec luego or mk. but go and chat to robin hood too there cars do have strength on there sides and weight depends what you want out of a kit.
DarrenW

posted on 6/10/05 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
i cant agree more strongly with above comments. Take your time. Be patient. Talk to the manufacturers but also talk to owners and builders - dont be shy, the main problem you will have with us builders is shutting us up once youve got us started. Most people will tell you so much you lugs will feel battered!!! In a nice way of course (friendly helpful bunch and all that).
Leave cash at home but take bullshit defenders! Once you have seen enough then do a shortlist and research what you can. This is where we can help again on this forum. Then i strongly suggest visitting the manufacturers premises and blagging a ride. Again talk to any unsuspecting customers who may be hanging about.

Dont forget - anyone who has only built an MK will love MK's. Same for Mac#1's and MNR's, GTS's, Luegos etc. This is testament to the position these manufacturers hold in the market place. Some people who build other kits may not be as complimentary, maybe there is a story / lesson in there somewhere.

All i can say is that iam very very happy with my ZR and it is going together very well indeed. Few people will say any bad words against Mac#1's customer service. Iam of course very very biassed being a very satisfied customer.

If you do it all right you will only buy once and enjoy the build process so much that driving will be an anticlimax. Choose wrongly and you will take twice as long and hate it.

Initial cost is not King. I dont care what anyone says you will go over budget and very few manufacturers tell you about all of the costs upo front as they are trying to get your business. I had an unreasonable 3.5K budget. Carbon bits, digidash2, stainless exhausts etc etc etc etc soon pushed that way over but what a nice car in the end.

Tiger Super Six

posted on 6/10/05 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
I have a Tiger and would recommend one to anyone. They have been very helpful, competative price to build and they hold a good residual value once built.

This may be looked at that I am biased as I have a Tiger but from my experience if you look at most of the members on the forum they have cars made by the companies mentioned if they have not built a locost. Personally, the only company I would not go for is Robin Hood as I think that the whole package is not good.

As mentioned I would look at the finished cars at the shows to decide the one that you like the best and then visit the factory's of the top few to get a better idea of the company.

Mark.

PS - I would not disagree that the fibreglass from Tiger needs work. The problem is that the moulds leave release lines and bumps, but a day with some wet and dry soon sorts this. Not a valid reason to discount a good car in my opinion.

[Edited on 6/10/05 by Tiger Super Six]

Mark

Tiger Avon

smart51

posted on 6/10/05 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Sit in all the cars for a few minutes. Make sure you're comfortable and you like the view. Ask if the engine that you want to use has already been fitted and that the company can supply mounts and exhausts. (Luego told me at the Stafford show that they don't supply cradles for bike engines as they don't like them. I didn't buy a Luego)

Talk to the manufacturers. Ask them lots of different questions too see if you like / trust them and to see how helpful they'll be when you get stuck in your build. Ask how busy they are - you might have to wait for quite a while for parts if they are snowed under.

Most of all, buy a car that you like.

BKLOCO

posted on 6/10/05 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
I have to agree with most of the comments posted so far but I will add mine for what they’re worth!
Robin Hood Cars make a product that is aimed at a very specific market and they make a good car for that budget area. However It most certainly will not suit if a high performance well engineered car with good handling characteristics are your priority. It will however last forever as the whole thing is made from stainless steel!!! Unique in the kit car market I think.
From the research I did before buying, all the other manufacturers with the exception of perhaps Westfield & Caterham (who are just overpriced) offer very similar products.
I personally was put off Tiger at one show purely by the attitude of one of their sales people. I hate people who rubbish other manufacturers to try to make a sale. If you have a good product it should sell on it's own merits.
I eventually whittled the choice down to either MK or Luego..... Until I met Darren of GTS.... I admit that his customer service skills leave a little to be desired, but, Speaking as an engineer of some 30+ years experience. The quality and value of his components leaves other manufacturers for dead.
I have purchased components from many of the other manufacturers and I have to say I have generally been disappointed in the quality and the prices charged.
Once again. Don't rush in.
I researched the market for nearly 2 years before I decided and I was surprised to see how many manufacturers went out of business in that time.
Going to one show is not enough.
Good luck and choose wisely, preferably with a combination of both your head and your heart, not just your heart.

[Edited on 6-10-05 by BKLOCO]

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

pdw709

posted on 6/10/05 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
You should also add RAW to your list of potential manufacterers. The Striker is a great car with an excellent racing heritage. Its also one of the smallest & lightest cars on the market which makes for great performance.

Although I bought by car 2nd hand, I have since acquired some additional bits and pieces from Raw, and have always found Mel Coppick and his team extremely friendly and helpful.

There have also been lots of Strikers sold/built so plenty of people to ask for help!

Phil

G.Man

posted on 6/10/05 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Speak to Mark Norden at MNR for definate...

And make sure you get a ride in one of their cars at donnington aswell...

Very impressive

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

Hellfire

posted on 6/10/05 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Enid, whereabouts are you based? This may have some influence on which kit you eventually buy.

If you're near enough to MK, get yourselves down on any Saturday morning and blag a ride in some of the Indys that usually turn up. Both car engined and bike engined variants

Have a look at the Build/Rebuild Diary on our website for some idea of how an MK goes together.

Disclaimer - Other manufacturers and websites are available, so I've heard.

Hellfire

posted on 6/10/05 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
...............If you do it all right you will only buy once and enjoy the build process so much that driving will be an anticlimax.

Having built two and driven them both I can confirm that driving is definitely NOT an anti-climax............................... but then again, that may have something to do with the choice of engines

scotty g

posted on 6/10/05 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
As a builder of a Robin Hood i would say they are definately the cheapest option but the quality is not up to the same standard as the locost makers, as a result i am now bulding a GTS.
I found all the companies very helpful and enthusiastic but the knowledge and experience from GTS is quite remarkable. Also they are fairly local to me in Kent and their bodywork is better suited to my engine choice.
As far as i know they are the only ones building GRP panels for the +4 design larger car, in case you need the extra space.

G.Man

posted on 6/10/05 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
One more tip

Dont be afraid to haggle... especially if you are buying more than a starter kit...

enid66

posted on 6/10/05 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
its not an easy choice

again thanks for the advice so far.

we are all based in manchester if that changes things. i guess that robin hood may be a little too far from us as what you said regarding customer service and just dropping in for a part could be a whole day trip.

we had a board meeting (the 3 of us) and i think we are still almost nearly decided in theory at least on a colour!!! the rest of it will have to wait for the show.

i think that the feel of the car, and the look of each type close up will help us. not to mention speaking to peeps who have completed them.

nice 1

enid

JoelP

posted on 6/10/05 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
i thought that robin hoods had jumped in price recently after the buy-out?

being based in manchester, id start with MNR (harrogate) MK (sheffield) and Luego (peterbugger), not sure where MAC1 are based.

Triton

posted on 6/10/05 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Why not tackle something a tad different....The GTM Libra might sound expensive to buy as a kit but will be warm n dry and perhaps worth more finished.....looks tickety boo too.

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
G.Man

posted on 6/10/05 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
i thought that robin hoods had jumped in price recently after the buy-out?

being based in manchester, id start with MNR (harrogate) MK (sheffield) and Luego (peterbugger), not sure where MAC1 are based.

Peterborough is miles from Manchester, though still a good option from a car point of view...

Luego and MNR were my final 2...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.