Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: tow bar location
Dale

posted on 28/10/05 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
tow bar location

Maybe this should have been in the locost related but its here for now as it attatches to the chassis.
Where or how would one attatch a tow bar to a locost car. Does one lock the steering or rely on the self centering (or lack there of on these things.

Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

raccoonradar

posted on 28/10/05 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
what you towing ?
omega 24 v6

posted on 28/10/05 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
I think he means like a towing dolly for towing the locost with all wheels on the ground.Like a frame that attaches to the steering gear.

Am i right Dale

Metal Hippy

posted on 29/10/05 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
Nah, he's gonna tow a big ass caravan

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

Dale

posted on 29/10/05 at 01:20 AM Reply With Quote
no I think Omega had the right guess on that one.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

omega 24 v6

posted on 29/10/05 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
I have seen these things used in the past on motorhomes with cars pulled behind them. Unfortunately thats about it unless your freindly AA man has similar gear. I don't think there would be enough ground clearance on a seven though
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 29/10/05 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
We pull the macindy with a frame. it picks up the front top suspention mounts and you must have the steering unlocked

Will post some pics if you want

Rorty

posted on 30/10/05 at 02:44 AM Reply With Quote
I used to tow a mid-engined V8 Beetle up to Santa Pod with an A frame.
I welded dedicated eyes to the front of the chassis and the frame attached to them with those tractor type spring lynch pins.
As mangogrooveworkshop said, you must not lock the steering.
As you steer the tow car, the castor of the car being towed actually steers the wheels allowing it to follow along nicely.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dale

posted on 30/10/05 at 03:56 AM Reply With Quote
Picks of the A frame and pickups would be nice.
Thanks
Dale

Thanks
Dale

caber

posted on 30/10/05 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Problem with A frames in the UK is the recent towing legislation requires the "trailer" to be braked so would need to adapt the braking system to respond to the towing vehicle. I believe there is one of these on the market that uses overrun to operate a cable that pushes the brake pedal. If this is a permanent arrangement it may be possible to adapt the cable hand brake, but I think this is a mod for after the SVA!

Caber

JoelP

posted on 30/10/05 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
on the dvla site it says only trailers over 750kgs need braking, so most kits would be ok if that is correct. You do need valid road insurance for the towed car though, in the UK.

Sorry, no pics myself though

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Rorty

posted on 30/10/05 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, no pics either. I lost every pic I ever had some years ago.
I remember having a lively conversation with a bike cop on the hard shoulder on my way home from Santa Pod one time. The result was that I was within the law. I'm sure the regulations have changed since then. I seem to remember the AA (or was it the RAC) being harangued or even banned from using them.
As mentioned, the crucks was always the weight of the towed vehicle.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave dickson

posted on 31/10/05 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
this website....
http://www.towingaframe.co.uk/assembly.htm
sells unbraked a-frames. I think the same guy sells them on ebay too. From a legal point of view, as they are unbraked, they are only supposed to be used to tow a broken-down car to a place of safety, or something like that. (if the towed car weghs over 750 kg of course)

I recently bought a second-hand solomatic a-frame from ebay. I got the posh one that is braked. It has an over-run hitch, a long cable and a funky thing that straps to the drivers seat that presses the brake pedal down. I havent used it yet as it was the model with the eye-style hitch rather than a standard ball. Bloody cavalier has a swan-neck towbar so some modding will be required.
Tyheir website is...
http://www.aframes.co.uk/aframes.html

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.