Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: America - The Law?
Mr G

posted on 7/11/05 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
America - The Law?

After watching a few US shows i'm geting a little confused over the law and regulations they must have concerning vehicles and driving.

You seem to be able to build a bike or car and just drive it on the street with no test/plates or I imagine relevant insurance etc. American chopper/rides etc all contain people just knocking something up then driving it around fresh out the workshop!

Whats the legal age to be able to drive?

I recently saw an episode of 'Hogan knows best' where his 14 year old son is driving a supra about to the local meet!

His 16 year old daughter has her own station wagon she drives around in??

I'm sure our members from the other side of the pond can enlighten me

Cheers

G

[Edited on 7/11/05 by Mr G]

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

flak monkey

posted on 7/11/05 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
The legal age for driving varies from state to state. In some states its about 16, in others its 18+.

I also think insurance varies from state to state as well..as to the requirements for it anyway!

Sure those in the US can give more detail though...

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

drmike54

posted on 7/11/05 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
The legal driving age here in the US varies from 16 to 18. Ohio decided a few years ago after some research in teen age accidents. Inexperienced/immature drivers have more accidents. All research said that you should be OLDER before you can drive, by yourself.
So for some stupid reason they decided to lower the age for a drivers permit from 16 to 15 1/2. How this was supposed to work is beyond my thinking. The latest is that they are oing to move it back to 16.

As far as I know all states require insurance or a $50,000 bond before a vehicle can be on the road. For a while you had to have proof of insurance. Lately I think that you can just testify that you have insurance.

Started Welding the chassis!!!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
derf

posted on 7/11/05 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Florida has the youngest driving age, at 14 you can get a permit, and 15 you get a graduated licence (drive dawn to dusk), 16 a full licence. Most states are 16 or higher, my state is 17 for a graduated licence and 18 for a full lisence.

As far as building a bike/car and driving it right off the bat, they have "manufacturer status". The state certifies them to build and test their vehicles, as well as let others test them out. No registaration needed, but they must be insured. On American Chopper when they show their front door, you will see the state manufacturer sign.

There are also other common ways to get around building a car, such as title swapping. Take a clean title from a different car and use it on your own. I am about to be very familiar with that process as my state is nearly impossible to get a home-built registered.

Basically it varies from state to state, so there are 50 different sets of rules to follow, which are all either in compliance or not in compliance with federal standards.

theconrodkid

posted on 7/11/05 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
sooooooooooo if you are 16 and drive from florida to say texas,what happens when you cross the state line

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Peteff

posted on 7/11/05 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
what happens when you cross the state line

We don't hold no truck with furriners round here do we Bubba .
Oops, that just slipped out.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mr G

posted on 9/11/05 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Well just seen a biker build off episode and it went something like this :

Bikes are built and they are driving to the show to have them judged. They get pulled over by a Michigan state police oficer. The British guy who runs Exile is all legit but one of the 'detroit brothers' is'nt.

"I'm issuing you a ticket for No motorcycle endorsement (No motorcycle license)"

ok

"And i've given you a warning about no registration and no insurance"

Jumps back on the bike and off he goes.

If that was over here you'd make sure your soap was on a rope.

Cheers

G

[Edited on 9/11/05 by Mr G]

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

derf

posted on 9/11/05 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
If you didn't lnow the michigan cop also lost his job over that, it was all over the news a few days afdter that show aired. he subsequently tried to sue the state to get his job back and lost.

No, if you are 16 you can drive anywhere you want, as federal law says that all states must recognise other states licenses. However most states have provisions for letting new drivers cross state lines. I had a florida permit at 14, but could only use it in florida, at 16 (living in New York) I got a full Florida license, and was able to drive anywhere I want. I got it because I used my grandparents address in florida when I went down for the summers.

chrisf

posted on 9/11/05 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Regarding the issues discussed here, what are the laws in the UK?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 9/11/05 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Mopeds up to 50cc restricted to 30mph at 16. Once 17 you can take a bike test and ride upto a 125cc without L-plates. Once 21 (or 2 years after you pass your test) you can ride any size bike you like, but you must take another test on a larger bike of at least 45bhp.

You can get your provisional car liscence at 17. you must be accompanied by a driver who has held a liscence for at least 2 years and older than 21. you arent allowed on motorways. other than that no restrictions. Once you take your full test, as soon as you are ready, you can drive anywhere you like. Though you are restricted to the types of vehicle for a while (no minibuses etc).

All pretty simple

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.