Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Phoenix, Fury, Indy or?
the_fbi

posted on 7/11/05 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Phoenix, Fury, Indy or?

Till a few weeks ago I was 100% sure I was going to build an Indy.

I've already got a 954 blade engine, 3.62 LSD, lobro's and rear discs but all the above will fit any of the car choices so thats all irrelevant anyway.

The plan was for an Indy due to the excellent feedback in the forums, and the price seemed very competative.
I guess every company loses people, but Charlie leaving (and the website dieing) has put me off, wrongly so, but it has.

Also, I was having 2nd thoughts about such a flat fronted car, seeing as I'm only building it for fun on track days, not for car use.

So, the choice is down to Phoenix, Fury or the Indy still.

I'm not aware of any other Phoenix/Fury styled cars so feedback welcome if there are any.

What's the general feel of the above? I'm within an hour of Northampton, so the Fury probably makes more sence, but the Phoenix is probably cheaper and is only 2 hours away. Anybody done straight cost comparisons between the two?

The Menace is also an option I guess too.

I guess I should visit both companies and have a chat with them in person, but user experiance from current customers is more important, how have people found them?

Feedback, guidance, do's don't's appreciated.

ta
Chris

zxrlocost

posted on 7/11/05 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I could be totally wrong but I dont think this website has any negative vibes towards certain manafacturers, no need for slagging or back stabbing just companies do give a bad service or car ratings !!!sometimes and if its a fair point it needs making then other people can make there mind up on whether the comment was fair enough or not,

otherwise all that we hear is that every car is great and then you wont be able to make your mind up

CHRIS

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Ian Pearson

posted on 7/11/05 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Quite like the STYLUS
Avoneer

posted on 7/11/05 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Fury and Phoenix are almost identical, apart from the Phoenix having a curvy ladies arse and the Fury having a flat arse.

Either of these two would be my choice of next car.

If you like the look of all three, I'd base it on the closest to you - they're all very similar underneath, just a different external look.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 7/11/05 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Fury

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Avoneer

posted on 7/11/05 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
Triton, are you getting as stressed packing as I am not being able to do owt on the car due to the impending arrival?

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Guinness

posted on 8/11/05 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
If it's for track use only I think the menace looks a good package. Mid engined, lightweight and aerodynamic.

Should be ideal track car. In fact don't they do really thin / light bodywork option for them?

Mike

zetec

posted on 8/11/05 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
For track day use the Indy wins hands down for being the most practical if you have an accident and panel damage. A new nose is about £80 and wings maybe £20/50 and can be changed easy. A fully enclosed body has advantages on the track but have a shunt and repair work is a lot more involved.

Just a thought but the reason I suspect that the 7 has remained a popular fun trackday car...

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

G.Man

posted on 8/11/05 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
I assume you haven't looked at the MNR Vortx RT then?

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

jimgiblett

posted on 8/11/05 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Biased ...who me

I think both the Fury and Phoenix will cost a bit more to build than an MK but you'll probably get most of this back when you sell on.

I chose a full bodied car rather than a 7 type car because I'm a whimp and like to be sheltered from the elements.

You pays ur money etc.....

Pics here

Brooky

posted on 8/11/05 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I am probably having one of these next year, what do you guys make of it ?
pulsar smaller
pulsar smaller

DarrenW

posted on 8/11/05 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
I recommend taking a serious look at the Mac#1 9R works. Might be just what you need and legendary customer service as well.

Jasper

posted on 8/11/05 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
I love the closed in body work, good weather protect, great aerodynamics and chassis of the Fury/Stylus/Menace type cars. And yes, they are likely to hold there value better. No offence meant to anybody, but there are a lot of seven style BEC's for sale going cheap. However, the MK type car will be cheaper to build.
zilspeed

posted on 8/11/05 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brooky
I am probably having one of these next year, what do you guys make of it ?
pulsar smaller
pulsar smaller

That looks like a development of the Pulsar - one of which I remember racing at Knockhill a few years back. Although that one was car engine. Front/mid engined if you like ( engine pretty much where the passengers feet would be and a propshaft about 10 inches long.

Hellfire

posted on 8/11/05 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
So how much more would it cost to build a Fury/Phoenix?

Assuming you can build an Indy with bike engine for say £6K, how much would a similar engined Fury/Phoenix cost?

PS. DarrenW - MAC#1 do have really good customer service. Wouldn't quite say it was Legendary though

jimgiblett

posted on 8/11/05 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
I think £8-9k would be possible. But £10k+ for something very nice.

But then again you do buy a car which has more RGB and other championship wins than any other kit car I know of.

I spent a lot more than this but it was all new parts and some shiney bits.

Jasper

posted on 8/11/05 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Jim seems about right there - you're also getting more of a 'car' - if that makes any sense....

I bought a part built and got a bargain - my total spend will probably be nearer £8k, and that will a full paint job, decent engine, and mostly new parts

Brooky

posted on 8/11/05 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed

That looks like a development of the Pulsar - one of which I remember racing at Knockhill a few years back. Although that one was car engine. Front/mid engined if you like ( engine pretty much where the passengers feet would be and a propshaft about 10 inches long.

It is a pulsar. Someone i know has bought the project and it just happens to fit on a phoenix chasis nicely.
That will dingdangdo for me !( but with different lights )

[Edited on 8/11/05 by Brooky]

DarrenW

posted on 8/11/05 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire

PS. DarrenW - MAC#1 do have really good customer service. Wouldn't quite say it was Legendary though

Many thanks for your oppinion. Use of the word 'Legendary' might be a touch expressive but the level of service i have enjoyed certainly far surpasses that from any other aftermarket automotive supplier i have come across - to me that warrants the tag legendary. Fantastic, Efficient, accurate are also good words, the problem now is that i have come to expect this as the norm and as such my expectations have been raised to a level that few can satisfy.

I look forward to your reply and suggestions for other companies with similar virtues that i could use

chriscook

posted on 8/11/05 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Part built phoenix on ebay at the moment http://cgi.ebay.co .uk/Sylva-Phoenix-Road-Race-Kit-Car_W0QQitemZ4587637273QQcategoryZ29750QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

its currently car engined but plenty of people have done the conversion.

stevebubs

posted on 14/11/05 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you want a roof / windscreen then phoenix everytime for a BEC

Stephen

(Fury owner)

PS You have a choice for Phoenix now...

Stuart Taylor for Caged round tube
Cyana for original JP design http://www.cyanacars.com/

stevebubs

posted on 14/11/05 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
For similar enclosed cars, you could also consider...

Dare G4

Stephen

PS Don't forget the Sylva R1ot if it's primarily for track use.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.