Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: T9 Hydraulic Clutch conversion using SAAB Slave
Daza

posted on 8/11/05 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
T9 Hydraulic Clutch conversion using SAAB Slave

Hi,
Can anyone help,
I'm in the process of rebuilding a TVR Vixen using a 2L Zetec and T9 box. The car was previously running with a cable clutch, however I want to convert to hydraulic.

Does anyone know how to fit a SAAB concentric slave cylinder to a T9 box?

I need to get this sorted quickly, due to loosing my garage soon (moving house).

Cheers

Daza

NS Dev

posted on 8/11/05 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
yep, doing that right now (well, tonight!)

you need to machine or buy an alloy spacer that bolts in place of the trumpet housing on the front of the type 9 box and has suitable bore for the saab cyl to sit in and three holes drilled and tapped to bolt the saab cyl to.

that's about it really, just need to measure everything to get the spacer thickness correct.

Daza

posted on 8/11/05 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Are you using the cylinder p/n 4776308?

Do you happen to know the thickness of the adapter plate?

would you be willing to do another plate for us?

What bore master cylinder are you using?

Sorry questions, questions,

Cheers

Daze

NS Dev

posted on 8/11/05 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
easy bits first:

0.75" master cyl

Yep, I am using the 4776308 cyl, but bought a copy part (AP one) from my local spares place for £38 as it was cheaper.

Don't know on the spacer thickness until I can get my notebook in the garage tonight. Twas around 45mm I believe though. Depends on whether you keep the std trumpet housing behind the spacer or machine the rear of the spacer to replace the housing, if you see what I mean.

Can't make another unless you can get me a great big lump of ally, took me ages to get the one i have now.

They are actually only £20 or so from QED motorsport in leicestershire anyway though, and it would take me £20 woth of time at least to make (sorry can't be of more help but really short of time at the mo!)

[Edited on 8/11/05 by NS Dev]

owelly

posted on 8/11/05 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
I used a Focus concentric slave and machined the input shaft trumpet.

See how it fits?

I then made a plate that picked up the three mounting holes and bolted it to the bellhousing.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daza

posted on 8/11/05 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
How much dit it cost to put together,,,

looks the job!

WIMMERA

posted on 8/11/05 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Couple of things to be aware of, the spacer/mounting plate thickness should be such that it allows for the pressure plate fingers to move out as the clutch wears without the piston coming to the end of it's stroke, and use an adjustable stop under the clutch pedal, they are very easy to over stroke and that means pulling it apart to refit the piston.

Wimmera

NS Dev

posted on 8/11/05 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
cheers Wimmera!!!

both things I hadn't really considered in any detail!!!

WIMMERA

posted on 9/11/05 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
NS Dev I'd be giving the plot away if I told you how I found out. They are worth the trouble though.

Wimmera

owelly

posted on 9/11/05 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
The slave cost me £15 from the scrappy. I machined the trumpet myself and by turning the CRB round the other way, it has a curved surface to match the straight fingers on my Alfa clutch cover. Only time will tell how long it will last!!
I machined the trumpet far enough to be able to shim/spacer the correct length.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 9/11/05 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Owelly, does the slave push against the trumpet or against the plate.

Is the plate just an "anti rotation" thing or does the slave push on it.

owelly

posted on 9/11/05 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
It pushes against the trumpet. The plate stops it from trying to spin!

NS Dev

posted on 15/11/05 at 12:48 AM Reply With Quote
finally got my adaptor machined tonight, left 5.5mm of "backwards" movement for the release cylinder from the "brand new clutch" thickness position,i.e. the spring fingers can move back 5.5mm before there is no adjustment left. This was a wild guess that looked about right!!

This means that I have around 15mm of movement in the release direction before the cylinder over strokes, which I think should be enough but it will have to go in the car for me to know! Everybody else uses that cyl (well most do anyway!) so it should be ok!

fingers crossed!

(oh yes, the HR 30 or whatever it's called ally was a complete bitch to machine!! was a very big lump but it was free, only prob was the vast amount of swarf that the chipbreaker wouldn't touch, ended up with a plastic packing box full from the spacer plus the trumpet spacers that I made the other day!)
cr1
cr1

[Edited on 15/11/05 by NS Dev]

[Edited on 15/11/05 by NS Dev]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.