Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Intetrim seat prob
donut

posted on 10/11/05 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Intetrim seat prob

I was looking at fitting my seats today and looked at the underneath where the bolts go into the seat. There are 4 holes but nothing to screw the bolt into like on the cobra 7's. it looks like the M10 bolts are just 'screwed' into the fiberglass seat base which i find rather disterbing.

Are there any fixings that i could use to secure the seat properly?

Ta

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 10/11/05 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
My seats (I think they are Intatrim too) also just have holes in them, but they are fixed using carriage bolts (with the square profile just under the head) and a sort of butterfly thingy to stop the head turning - the butterfly is like a rectangular piece of steel bent over at each end (to grip down onto the fibreglass) and a square hole in the middle to catch the bolt. Sorry no pics. It looks like these pieces are supplied for the job rather than home made, so maybe you could try Intatrim?
shortie

posted on 10/11/05 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
MK ones just have a metal insert in the fibreglass that the bolts screw into, so I guess the Intatrim ones are the same.

HTH,
Rich.

adam_moore

posted on 10/11/05 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Having the seats only bolted into inserts into the glass fibre is not really worrying since you are using 4 or 6 point harnesses which are bolted to the body, not the seat and in a rear impact, the seats are very close to the bulkhead.

So in a front impact event, the seat may break away under submarine loads but if your belts are crrectly adjusted, you won't go anywhere

donut

posted on 10/11/05 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Rich: theres no metal for the bolts to screw into

Humbug: Thanks, looks like i'll have to try Intatrim and see if i can get some ...or it's of to B&Q or a drywall fitting place.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 10/11/05 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
Rich: theres no metal for the bolts to screw into

Humbug: Thanks, looks like i'll have to try Intatrim and see if i can get some ...or it's of to B&Q or a drywall fitting place.

I just went and took this pic of mine (this is from the top of the seat - the bolt goes down through the floor, so the nut is underneath the car)

[Edited on 10.11.2005 by Humbug] Rescued attachment Seat bolt.JPG
Rescued attachment Seat bolt.JPG

G.Man

posted on 10/11/05 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Just use large washers...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

donut

posted on 10/11/05 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Seeing as i just have holes i think i'll pop some rivnuts in and secure them that way.

Andy

Surrey Dave

posted on 10/11/05 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure I would trust rivnuts, why can't you drill through and mount similar to humbugs with some giant washers and coach bolts from Fairalls Godstone?
donut

posted on 10/11/05 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Here is a pic of the bottom of the seat. There are holes but nothing for the bolt to screw into (inside the seat) and i don't trust the bolt to just screw into the fiber glass.

Image deleted by owner

As i said there is nothing inside the seat to bolt to.

[Edited on 10/11/05 by donut]

Andy

Bluemoon

posted on 10/11/05 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
I think you need to pull the seat fob out? I think its velcroed in and hinges at the front, then you'll have access to the seat bottom...
donut

posted on 10/11/05 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
YOU ARE A GENIUS!!

Thank you, i can sort it now YAY!!!!

Andy

kevano

posted on 10/11/05 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
only needed to ask donut!!
i used big washers. with coach bolts, seemed to do the job.kev

donut

posted on 10/11/05 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Until now i wasn't aware you could pull back the seat fob. Now i know......... simple!

They don't call me donut for nothing!!

[Edited on 10/11/05 by donut]

Andy

DEAN C.

posted on 10/11/05 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
We Know!!!

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

kevano

posted on 10/11/05 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
to be honest i didn't realise that when i took them out, didn't want to pull at it too much in case it ripped!!! donut 2
G.Man

posted on 10/11/05 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
lol

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.