Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1.3 CVH Avon
daz

posted on 10/11/05 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
1.3 CVH Avon

hopefully starting to build a zx9 mk indy with my brother at the beginning of the new year, but was also thinking of building my own for day to day use, and since the insurance will be sky high im seriously thinking about using a 1.3 CVH engine and was wondering...

1) will it fit?
2) just how slow will it be.. roughly? ( 0-60/top speed)

i know it wont be impressive but its just something to do in my spare time and ill be able to add a bigger sized lump the more no claims bonus i rack up (currently none!)

Oliver Jetson

posted on 10/11/05 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance will be cheap as chips compared to insuring a "normal" road car. How old are you by the way just so we can give you an idea on what insurance will be?
Why bother goin to all the trouble of buildin a car with a 1.3cvh engine when the same amount of time and effort will get you a much much faster car with a better engine, for an insurance premium of not that much.

Cheers,
Oli

daz

posted on 10/11/05 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
im 20, still learning to drive tho i have my test in a couple of weeks time, been insured on my own car since feb so ill have a years no claims then. ill be able to take the mk indy out for a thrashing, but id like to use the avon as en everyday car, so dont really want to be spending lots to insure it with a 2 litre pinto and ofcourse, the running costs, like i say its just a project, im not too fussed if its not fast

[Edited on 10/11/05 by daz]

stevebubs

posted on 10/11/05 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
1.3 Crossflow will probably be a cheaper and easier option - they often come up for same as complete drivetrains when people upgrade.

S

britishtrident

posted on 10/11/05 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
No real problem fitting the CVH although I think a 1.4 would bebetter option as it shouldn't raise the insurance much. 1.3 & 1.4 are a bit easier to fit than the 1.6 as they come with a flywheel for a 190mm clutch.

Fitting a Zetec at a later date would be quite easy ---

andylancaster3000

posted on 10/11/05 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
The CVH engines (not including the 1.8 version) are all a bit of a pain to mount. The engine hasn't got any lugs halfway along the block on one side so you have to improvise. There are a couple of pics in my archive of the mounts we have made for a 1600. On one side the alternator mount will share a lug with the engine mount and i believe the block we are using may have extra holes drilled and tapped into it!

So it does fit but not very easily. As said above a crossflow would be easier. Having said that, the CVH is quite light, cheap and easy to mess around with and then there is always the turbo option!

HTH,
Andy

stevebubs

posted on 10/11/05 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Was thinking more along the lines of getting parts second hand - many more xflow parts floating around than anything else.
daz

posted on 10/11/05 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
think i may go for a 1.4 crossflow, wont even bother cleaning it up to look nice as its literally just a car to get me to work and back, and once ive thrashed the engine to near death i can plonk another one in

will a crossflow engine bolt straight in? or will i have to learn to weld and make my own mounts

delboy

posted on 10/11/05 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
If you want a 1300 why not use a pinto, they're available from early sierras, and later if you want to increase engine size its easy to fit a 1600 pinto or a 2000 pinto without major modification. Block and head sizes, exhaust manifolds etc will all be in the right place.
daz

posted on 10/11/05 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
i didnt realise there was a 1300 pinto to be honest, guess ill have a look around at whats available nearer the time of the build
tim windmill

posted on 11/11/05 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
im 15 and im building a 2.0 pinto indy what the hell is my insurance going to be like!!!

might have to downgrade to a 1.3

daz

posted on 11/11/05 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
probably non existent since you cant drive at 15
britishtrident

posted on 11/11/05 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daz
i didnt realise there was a 1300 pinto to be honest, guess ill have a look around at whats available nearer the time of the build

1300 Pinto = rocking horse phoo I have only ever see one and that was 20 years ago, the Sierra 1300 was so under powered didn't sell in anything like the (small) numbers of the 1300 Cortina.
Think of it as a very rare type of boat anchor .

daz

posted on 12/11/05 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
that'll be why i havent come across one while doing my slight engine research.

might even build an mk locost now, as i believe this is cheaper than the avon

MikeRJ

posted on 13/11/05 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
I would get some quotes before worrying about engines. There have been some guys around your age on here that have had very reasonable quotes. You may find a 1.6 or 1.8 Zetec is quite affordable.
soggy

posted on 13/11/05 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
have a word with the guys on the avon section!

if at first u dont succeed use a bigger hammer!

Peteff

posted on 13/11/05 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
ill be able to add a bigger sized lump the more no claims bonus i rack up (currently none!)

You will be disappointed to hear that no claims bonus is not available on limited mileage kit car policies from the insurers who do it. Your annual mileage will be one of the things that governs the price of your premium. You will not get insurance from mainstream companies as they have no statistics to base their prices on.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.