Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Going mid engined!
lsdweb

posted on 13/11/05 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Going mid engined!

Hi All

I’m seriously considering a mid engined project, using a Blackbird engine and Quaife Powertec Gear Drive System, but don’t quite know which way to go. I want to continue running in the road going kit car and specials class in sprints and hillclimbs. I have, I think, three options:

LMP – fantastic car – great chassis – but budget is limited and I had a real bast*rd of a time with SVA last time so want to avoid it if possible.

Z cars ‘Mini’ – again great car but pricey for the kit. I don't like the way the engine and diff sit so high with steeply angled driveshafts.

Self built ‘Z’ cars style – utilising rear wishbones / uprights from one of the IRS 7 style cars (Avon – as I have the book), fitted to a rear box section frame copying the ‘7’ but narrowed for the right track, with the engine/ diff etc built into this and all built into the back of a chopped Mini with comprehensive cage. I can draw this all up but need to persuade my friend to fabricate it all and he’s a bit hesitant!

Any thoughts?

welderman

posted on 13/11/05 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Self built ‘Z’ cars style – utilising rear wishbones / uprights from one of the IRS 7 style cars (Avon – as I have the book), fitted to a rear box section frame copying the ‘7’ but narrowed for the right track, with the engine/ diff etc built into this and all built into the back of a chopped Mini with comprehensive cage. I can draw this all up but need to persuade my friend to fabricate it all and he’s a bit hesitant!

I have gone this route.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

KJK

posted on 13/11/05 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
mid engine

sylva r1ot?
welderman

posted on 13/11/05 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Another.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

lsdweb

posted on 13/11/05 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Welderman - awesome!

Do you want to build another one....

Can I ask what 'book' measurements you've used and how you've got this to line up with the Mini shell etc.

Regards

Wyn

Triton

posted on 13/11/05 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Unless my eyes are playing silly beggars that engine looks a tad high

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Minicooper

posted on 13/11/05 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Isbweb
A mini with the Powetec box is far to long to fit in a mini, your face would be against the screen

The Blackbird alone is 22 inches from exhaust manifold to back of gearbox, if you measure a mini you will see you have 26 27 maximum before the seating becomes impossible

Welderman
Is your setup anything to do with MK? are you using sierra bits?

Cheers
David

Peteff

posted on 13/11/05 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Put it in the back of a Sooty van, everybody does Minis.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

lsdweb

posted on 13/11/05 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks David

I'd obviously meassure it all up first - I haven't picked up the engine / diff combo yet so cant say.

Of course, there's nothing to say I couldn't offset the engine to the passenger side and put the seat agaisnt the windscreen....
There are loads of other options (hatchbacks appeal to me for ease of access) but i'm not yet decided.

Regards

Wyn

welderman

posted on 13/11/05 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
1st. Yes i will probably build another, this is just a learning stage for me, building the MK was easy compared to this.
2nd. Based it on the car that Martin of MK Engineering is building for UKLEE. Bought the Quaife carrier and asked questions, no measurements were take as that would not be fair on Martin.
3rd. Measured up the Mini as i was stripping it down and came up with the dimensions to get it to fit it, will take some more pic's and post them tomorrow as it is now fitted for the time being.
4th. Yes the R1 engine was toooo high, subsequently it has now been lowered, what a job that was.
5th. Sierra and Fiesta parts and of course Mini.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

lsdweb

posted on 13/11/05 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks welderman

Much appreciated!

welderman

posted on 13/11/05 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, have you made up your mind, see your selling up.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

lsdweb

posted on 13/11/05 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Well I've just done the deal on the Blackbird engine and Quaife diff etc so I have to do something! I want to go mid engined and have competed in Minis for years so this seems the obvious choice!
welderman

posted on 13/11/05 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a good choice to me, hope all goes well. Keep us all up to date.

Joe

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

Triton

posted on 13/11/05 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Sooty van........cool

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
welderman

posted on 13/11/05 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Could be Mi next project.
Fiat 126

[Edited on 13/11/05 by welderman] Rescued attachment 23_1_b.jpg
Rescued attachment 23_1_b.jpg

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

Triton

posted on 13/11/05 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
I nearly did that in 1988 but the bloody fiat fell apart before the Z650 engine found it's way into the back....

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

welderman

posted on 13/11/05 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
I loved the washer jet, push button thingy. Always puts a smile on my face when i see one. Not often now though.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

Triton

posted on 13/11/05 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Ours had a full length sunroof, tit here opened it while going along...it almost ripped my arm off as it flung open...then the fag i had landed on the parcel shelf....nearly crashed pishing myself laughing

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Rorty

posted on 14/11/05 at 03:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
Hi All

I’m seriously considering a mid engined project, using a Blackbird engine and Quaife Powertec Gear Drive System, but don’t quite know which way to go. I want to continue running in the road going kit car and specials class in sprints and hillclimbs. I have, I think, three options:

LMP – fantastic car – great chassis – but budget is limited and I had a real bast*rd of a time with SVA last time so want to avoid it if possible.

Z cars ‘Mini’ – again great car but pricey for the kit. I don't like the way the engine and diff sit so high with steeply angled driveshafts.

Any thoughts?

yes, you've really answered your own question: If you can't fabricate stuff and your friend is hesitant (some friend! ), then you have no option but to buy a kit or turn key car.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

Rorty

posted on 14/11/05 at 03:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
Unless my eyes are playing silly beggars that engine looks a tad high

Just a tad high? I'd say so.

Ah! I just read welderman's comment. What is the current height of the engine? How did you manage to lower it?

[Edited on 14/11/05 by Rorty]

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

lsdweb

posted on 14/11/05 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Rorty

I can weld but it's not that good so I wouldn't trust myself. I'm sure my mate will come around to my way of thinking when his workshop is looking empty and there's no current project to keep him away from his wife!

Wyn

welderman

posted on 14/11/05 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Rorty, lowereded the engine in it's home made frame about 25mm, then lowered the diff carrier about 50mm. That way the driveshafts are nearly level. Oh and just made it 50mm wider on each side so 100mm overall now. Down side is the 75mm wide arches are not big enough. Rescued attachment !CID__UnA74ySic2_.jpg
Rescued attachment !CID__UnA74ySic2_.jpg

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

welderman

posted on 14/11/05 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
wide Rescued attachment wide.jpg
Rescued attachment wide.jpg

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

Minicooper

posted on 14/11/05 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
I'm also doing a mid engined R1 mini, I'm using a dedion setup because of packaging and because of the ease of setup compared to a self designed IRS which I'm sure I would make a complete arse off.

I originally tried to the engine in the front with FWD but really struggled, I think properly sorted this would be the way to go with a mini

Cheers
David

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.