Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ARC welding
daz

posted on 13/11/05 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
ARC welding

ive decided to buy myself this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7560903658&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

and these..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7562897524&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

i have a very vague idea of how to weld, but could anyone dish out some advice/tips before i start wasting my welding rods on scrap metal, i have no idea what current setting to have it on either

any help is greatly appreciated

the_fbi

posted on 13/11/05 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
The welder will most likely have the general rod size next to the current setting on the scale. Whilst its rough, it will give you a good starting point.

I'll send you a u2u with a good manual too....

Confused but excited.

posted on 13/11/05 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
You could do what I did.
Local night school welding course.
Cost £60 for ten 2hr sessions.
Covered gas, stick and mig. By week four half had dropped out, leaving the rest of us make and do pretty much what we liked.
Then I got a cheap mig set, 'cos it is easier then the other methods.
Good luck!

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

daz

posted on 13/11/05 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replies, my brother has done a bit of welding before and said if i can ARC weld then ill be able to do other types more easily, i just bought it because i didnt want the bother of buying gas or anything, just want to plug and play n see how i get on, allways prefered the hands on approach, im thinking about a welding and fabrication course as soon as ive passed my driving test.

would this ARC welder be any good for making a chassis for a car in the future once im good at welding, or will it merely be a good starting point for a metal spice rack?

[Edited on 13/11/05 by daz]

Mark Allanson

posted on 13/11/05 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
It would be ok for welding up a chassis, but skill levels would need to be high

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Triton

posted on 13/11/05 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
ooo how to make hard work for yourself

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 13/11/05 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
so much easier for getting into those hard to get to places

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Triton

posted on 13/11/05 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Not easy to use though if never done any welding before.....stick...ooo yer git....stick...ooo yer git.....glow....fuse popped!

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Kowalski

posted on 13/11/05 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daz
thanks for the replies, my brother has done a bit of welding before and said if i can ARC weld then ill be able to do other types more easily, i just bought it because i didnt want the bother of buying gas or anything, just want to plug and play n see how i get on, allways prefered the hands on approach, im thinking about a welding and fabrication course as soon as ive passed my driving test.

would this ARC welder be any good for making a chassis for a car in the future once im good at welding, or will it merely be a good starting point for a metal spice rack?

Arc welders are difficult to get to grips with on thin material, they have a tendancy to burn holes in things. In fact, I've seen an arc welder used deliberately to burn holes in an exhaust flange that was made from 1/4" steel plate ... the tubing on a locost is rather thinner than that.

You can get gasless mig welders, they use a special mig wire which contains something that gives off gas, mig is much easier if you're a beginner but since you've already bought the welder its kind of academic.

Start with thin rods and low current and let us know how you get on.

daz

posted on 14/11/05 at 01:03 AM Reply With Quote
im gonna be starting off with thin 1.6mm rods as apparantly these are the thinnest i can use with my setup, and i just happened to have a grandfather who spent the whole of his life welding theres also 30ft of scaffold pole ready to be cut up and welded back together, shall let you all know how my welding/hole making gets on
jonbeedle

posted on 14/11/05 at 01:42 AM Reply With Quote
Tell me about it! If you don't know what you're doing, this method of welding is a pain in the arc!

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion however stupid!"

DorsetStrider

posted on 14/11/05 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daz

Although it ARC welders could be used to weld a chassis if you are using 25x25x1.6mm mild steel as the book suggests I think you'll find it tough going to weld that without blowing big holes.

Personally I'd advise getting yourself a MIG welder for chassis etc. I would however point out that ARC is perfect for welding 3mm thick steel for roll over bars, wishbones etc.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

David Jenkins

posted on 14/11/05 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I did a one-day welding course at the local agricultural collage a few years back. I asked the instructor if it was possible to stick-weld really thin stuff.

He picked up a couple of pieces of sheet thinner than 1mm thick, adjusted the welder settings and got some really thin rods. He then laid down a prefect weld about 4" long. I asked him how long it took him to learn how to do that - "about 30 years" came the reply!

The same instructor did a fillet weld into the angle between some 3mm strips. He put down the weld, stood up and said "if you've done it right, the slag will just curl off" - CLICK - "just like that!". The slag came away with just a touch of the hammer, leaving an immaculate weld. Smart *rse!

So yes, you can stick weld a chassis - if you're REALLY good...

rgds,
David

daz

posted on 14/11/05 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
well then ill get the ball rolling with arc first then and may treat myself to a gasless mig for christmas just wish i learnt how to weld a long time ago, still theres plenty of time
David Jenkins

posted on 14/11/05 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Get some bits of scrap square tube, and try welding them together. Try to beat them apart with a big hammer.

If you don't blow holes everywhere, and the tube gets flattened before he welds give way (or the steel itself tears) then maybe you're good enough to tackle the chassis!

David

robertst

posted on 17/11/05 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
i just bought my arc welder and did some test runs. i used 1.6mm tubes, similar to those i will use for my chassis and i used 2mm welding rods and it went pretty fine! it took some effort to blow a hole in the tube! and the welds are pretty strong!.
i then decided to make a frame, pretty cool for a painting! i'm loving this!
i have many doubts though... is that black soot which is left after welding poisonous in any way?
what tools can i get to cut metal? i have tried the silliest method, which is using a metal saw, and it is a pain in the neck. what do you people use to cut the tubes, panels etc?

[Edited on 17/11/05 by robertst]

David Jenkins

posted on 17/11/05 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure that you do destruction and penetration tests before you do anything serious...

The destruction test is to abuse the joint with a large hammer and see what breaks - it must not be the weld that goes first.

The penetration test is where you make your weld, hacksaw across it and see how well the joint is made through the weld. You might have to file it flat to get a good idea. There should a neat and tidy bit of a weld fillet on the back of the joint.

I would avoid eating the slag that remains, together with any dust and muck left lying around the weld! Your biggest concern should be the smoke and fumes that fill the air around your head - they are not nice. Also watch out for flying pieces when you chip off the slag, as it's as hard as glass and just as brittle, and may well be very hot (wear eye protection).

It might be a good idea to post a couple of pictures here, showing the state of your welds - there are a few professional/skilled welders on this forum who can offer their verdicts.

cheers,
David

Gav

posted on 17/11/05 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
My entire chassis was hand cut with a hacksaw!
for the 3mm panels i bought a large (240mm?) grinder from b&q for about £25 which did a reasonable job

robertst

posted on 17/11/05 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
i will post some pics of my welds, as soon as i get more time with the solder. have to get more metal tho.

gav. U DID YOUR ENTIRE CHASSIS WITH A HACKSAW?!!!! i couldnt even cut a single tube today with one of those! i was thinking of buying a good blade for my jig-saw and use that. i guess that will be faster than by hand

caber

posted on 17/11/05 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
A good hacksaw with a good blade will cut tube pretty well and quickly you do need to get good brand name blades such as Eclipse and a good solid frame that you can tighten up well. Go to a good tool merchant and he will advise best number of teeth per inch for different materials and thicknesses. Forget about the jigsaw on tube you will end up with lots of broken blades and sore wrists. Get an angle grinder, good for tidying up metal messes and can be used to chop through bar and tube though not very accurately or tidy. Get a chop saw if you can afford one to cut steel tube cleanly and accurately!

On the welding just keep practising with the arc until you are producing consistent good welds. Again buy good rods and keep them warm and dry. You will take a good few weeks of consistent practice to get reasonably good.

I would avoid gasless mig its not much better than arc, go for a decent Mig not less than 130Amp, you can hire gas bottles by the day from Air Products with a regulator built in probably the most cost efficient way to get Mig gas if you plan welding sessions to do a lot at once.

Practise and more practise experimenting with rod sizes and amps indicated on the machine until you get a feel for it, remember that actual amps and indicated amps are not the same on cheap welders, if you can get a good welder to teach you so much the better.

Best of luck, it is good fun when you get the hang of it!

Caber

Mark Allanson

posted on 17/11/05 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
I had serious noise constraints when I built my chassis, so it was hacksaw and file only. Get yourself some screwfix aerosol cutting oil, makes a difference only your biceps will appreciate. If you can get them, get variable pitch hacksaw blades, they last for ages and cut SO WELL!

robertst

posted on 18/11/05 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
thanks i think i'll do that. now i know what i have done wrong! doh!
i bought one of these multi purpose saws with huuuge teeth!
i have welded today with 1.6mm rods and they are crap. i'll try 3.0mm tomorrow and have fun blowing holes i think i half nailed it. at first the rods got stuck and the tip stared to glow, etc. but after reading a book and some advice from my gardener i got the hang of it.
ill send pics pretty soon.
cheers

Mark Allanson

posted on 18/11/05 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Try warming the rods first by laying down 1/2" first on a bit of scrap, makes the striking a bit easier. If arcing up a chassis, I would choose Satinex 6013 2mm rods, so smooooth

David Jenkins

posted on 18/11/05 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with the Satinex rods - I've got a box of them and they make life so much easier.

One tip - keep your rods in the airing cupboard until you need them. They must be bone dry otherwise you'll get all sorts of problems. The college I went to used to keep their rods in a cupboard with a small light bulb in the bottom, for the same reason.

Also, I hold a bit of scrap sheet under the earth clamp, and flash the end of the rod on it before starting the proper weld - this helps to prevent a cold rod sticking on the work.
rgds,
David

[Edited on 18/11/05 by David Jenkins]

daz

posted on 19/11/05 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
my dad has had a word with the dude that delivers metalfor his rolls royce branch and is willing to let me have plenty of scrap metal for practice welding, all he needs to know is what thickness steel i want and he'll sort me out, im using an ARC welder and e6013 welding rods 1.6mm, can anyone suggest what sort of thickness to acquire for just practicing with that wont burn holes easily!

once ive mastered this ill get a MIG and start practising on the same box metal stuff for making chassis out of

[Edited on 19/11/05 by daz]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.